68.01 over 1 second, 65.45 over 500 meters.

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
jpa_wfsc

68.01 over 1 second, 65.45 over 500 meters.

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Amazing numbers from an ultimate development boat... WOW!

http://www.sailrocket.com/node/663#comments

Now - tack it and sail it back the other way... Ummm..Oh Dear! What is a sailing boat anyhow? Not that VSRII has ever claimed to be a sailing boat... its only got one objective and it has certainly done that!

Are there any vintage sailing craft that were so focused on one goal, that all other aspects of sailing were discarded?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
neil
Site Admin

Re: 68.01 over 1 second, 65.45 over 500 meters.

Post by neil »

If the 1970s and 80s count then...

For a start there's the Crossbows

My favourite was Icarus

And Jacob's Ladder
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
roger

Post by roger »

I thought Crossbow was a Proa or were there more than one.

I have been following sailrocket for some time now when they were struggling to reach 20 knots and now these phenominal speeds.

Worth looking at the website the clip of the boat taking off and somersaulting in mid air is spectacular and he walked away from it.

Its taken a while but the theory is certainly becoming a reality. Can the wind/kite surfers get anywhere near and what about Hydroptere can come close?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I think there will need to be a step change in the way kites and windsurfers work to get up to these speeds - they have been adding 100th of a knot over the last few years, now we have over 10 knots added in 2 weeks. Can't see Hydroptere managing it, either, but I think they will concentrate on the long distance records, now, where 2 tacks are involved!

The original Crossbow was a proa, Crossbow 2 a cat. They are getting on for doubling her speed now, though. Yellow Pages Endeavour and her successor was pretty mad, too, from the designers of the C class cats called "Quest".
Rupert
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

"Blue Arrow" was a bit of interest for a while... A super sized Foiling yacht rustled up in response to the Farr Super-class 120' Americas cup Challenger in 1988, and then quickly sunk by the courts to prevent it from Challenging. (The usual Courtroom drama stuff of the Americas cup)

My recall was that it suffered gear failure. It was surprisingly small by todays standards. I'm guessing it might have done better in todays enviroment of Carbon fibre.

http://yachtyakka.co.nz/wp/wp-content/u ... 9/05/3.jpg

Suggestions were thrown around of 30 knots+ but it never got above 18.

Another Cornish "fail" (that is the correct "youtube" speak I believe,) was Peter Goss and his Wave piercing Supercat. Designed for the Southern Ocean, it broke up because "The waves were too small!!" :oops: :oops:

http://www.alexbennett.co.uk/wp-content ... Ariel2.jpg
Michael Brigg
clibb

Post by clibb »

My favourite was "Clifton Flasher". Something about the name I think....

Nick
JimC

Post by JimC »

Michael Brigg wrote:My recall was that it suffered gear failure. It was surprisingly small by todays standards. I'm guessing it might have done better in todays enviroment of Carbon fibre.
Did a bit of research on that a while back... They tried to work up a set of dimensions that would make the Americans and New Zealanders think the boat would be a slow monohull and let them play. That didn't come off, so they basically took it out for a blast in more and more breeze (designed for light airs in San Diego) until it eventually went bang. 23 knots boatspeed fairly regularly was what I heard.
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

For the avoidance of Doubt
Crossbow 1 was a proa with one mast
Crossbow 11 was a catamaran with two masts
Crossbow 111 was/is two very long hulls still in the rafters of a boatyard in Norfolk the project was put into abeyance with the death of Rod' Mcalpine-Downie and Tim Colman being made Lord Lieutenant of Norfolk, given Sir Timothy's age it is unlikely to progress after all this time.
Attachments
Tim Colman.jpg
Tim Colman in one of his sheds with Crossbow 111 hulls.
(38.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'd not heard of Crossbow III - what a shame she never got on the water.
Rupert