Rupert

Christmas Quiz Answers!

Post by Rupert »

CVRDA Christmas Quiz – The Answers!
1. Who is our President? Ed Bremner

2. Where was the 1st cvrda rally held? Roadford Lake SC

3. Which boat won the “fastest boat” prize? Osprey 589

4. Where and in what year was our 1st salt water based event? Mayflower 2002

5. What is the cvrda definition of a Vintage Wing boat? "We define these dinghies as those designed and built using traditional boat-building construction methods." Though I'm allowing some latitude on this answer...

6. In what year did a Minisail first win a trophy at the National Rally? Minisail 8122 (Paddling Pool) won the “old” fleet at Roadford 2003

7. What boat did Gerald Durbin and David Miles design in 1959? The Mercury

8. What name did our first Commodore think would have made a better one for the 18ft Jollyboat class? “What do you sail”……. “A Fairey Barracuda”…….YES….now that would be cool, and I bet we would still be seeing them built and sailed around the world.

9. Which class is described thus: “Attention is drawn to the sail plan. Here three factors are to be considered. First, to be a good racing dinghy the boat should have a full complement of sails. Main, Genoa, and spinnaker, secondly, the sails should be as large as the boat can comfortably carry, and thirdly the boom kept as high enough to make taking and gibing comfortable.” The Pegasus

10. Who has been seen French kissing his decks, and why? Ed Bremner says (in his Superglue article in Hints and Tips): “The first problem is finding the cracks! Well at least it is before the water gets in and it's too late. I have been known (and seen) to go along giving my decks a long french kiss....sucking the seams....it certainly gets a few comments...but also finds many cracks.”
Rupert
Rupert

Re: Christmas Quiz Answers!

Post by Rupert »

There were 2 winners - Phil Johns and Keith Rollinson, both with 9/10.

The imaginary Grand Prize, though, goes to Phil, who had his answer in within a couple of hours of the competition starting, and even worked out that it was Ed with the strange relationship with his decks. Just the Minisail winning the Old Trophy in 2003 was missed!
Rupert
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I demand a recount!

Sadly, I have checked my answers and I got two wrong! (Question 4, as well!)

Therefore the winner of the grand prize is Keith.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That will teach me to do results from memory! Baltic Wharf did pre-date Mayflower, and might be slightly brackish, I suppose, though I think that would be the least of your worries if you drank it...
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I checked the reports twice and still didn't get the Minisail answer correct!

The Bristol harbourmaster checks the docks water regulalry and it very rarely fails to meet the blue standard for bathing water quality. However this isn't published because he desn't want to encourage people to swim in the docks! So whilst most people think it is poluted you could quite safely drink it (unless you're called Alan!).
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Why would I want to drink water Peter.
Cheers Al
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote: “What do you sail”……. “A Fairey Barracuda”…….YES….now that would be cool, and I bet we would still be seeing them built and sailed around the world.
Hmm, possibly not with the reputation the Fairey Barracuda built up amongst FAA pilots not that many years previously.
Sea Fury, on the other hand, might have been a good class name, even if not a Fairey name. And should also have done well partnered with Fireflys...
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It is a shame they used the Falcon name on a big tub of a boat, not on the JB.
Rupert
keithr

Post by keithr »

Well that was a surprise, well done Rupert for setting a different type of quiz.

Happy New Year to all.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
angus

Post by angus »

Hi I had a wee go at the quiz myself but didn't bother emailing it in because it was atfter the new year, had problems with question 4 because I couldn't find any salinity tables on the web site for british harbours but ended up quessing at Baltic Warf and Although I found the article that mentioned French Kissing I couldn't find who had written it. I guessed Ed Bremner. My question is were all the answers really on the web site and I was to stupid or not Nerdy enough (depending on your veiw point) or did you really need a bit of inside info?
I don't really care because I did not bother entering and I thought it was an excellent quiz, I wouldn't even attempted it if it had been the old style.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'm afraid you had to be a bit nerdy hunting the website. To be honest though you needed to know where the sailing clubs are, there isn't a salinity level in the reports!
Baltic Wharf in Bristol sail on Brunel's Floating Harbour which is the River Frome before it flows into the Avon.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

Didnt the first Baltic Wharf event go down river under the Clifton Bridge. In which case that probably was salty. Was Mayflower before that?

Of course the judges answer is final.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Do you know what, Roger - I think you might be right (I missed that event) - there will be some photos somewhere, I guess - and that was, if it was the 1st BWSC meeting, before Mayflower. Just as well there are no prizes, they'd be all over the place... Ed will know!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

I am sure I have seen a picture of a merlin going under the the Clifton Bridge.

Do I get extra points for spotting the deliberate mistake.... may be enough to make me the winner!!!! please sir please. :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You can have an extra point, Rog - mainly because you still wouldn't win!
Rupert