Help! Don't know what boat to go for?

General chat about boats
Lukey T

Help! Don't know what boat to go for?

Post by Lukey T »

Hi All,

The plan is to get my mum into sailing. Racings not her thing so the Merlin idea did not go down well. I think she has seen a photo or two of me swimming beside one. :oops:

Mums idea of sailing is potting around on a lake or the sea, in light breezes on a sunny day.

We would not be looking to break the bank Of Dad so under £1500 would be ideal, cheaper even better. I don't mind doing some work but not total restoration.

What boats would fit the bill? It needs to be stable, big enough for 3 or 4 adults and easy to sail.

I was thinking wafarer but I'm not sure which versions the best one. I know one type has lots of storage which would be useful. My only concern is the weight of the boat.

Or is there a better option?

Any advice would be well appreciated and gratefully received.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
chrismartin3583

Re: Help! Don't know what boat to go for?

Post by chrismartin3583 »

GP14 should tick all the boxes

If you don't want to race one of the old single skin glass boats should be ideal and relatively maintenance free so you can spend all your dads money on the Merlin :D
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There are some great cruising boats out there. The GP does the job, but from a personal point of view, I don't find it pretty, which I've always thought important in a cruising boat. One of my favorites in the GP14 mould is the Leader. Other than that, there are many local clinker built classes around, if you want something with a vintage look, but they will take more work.

Or simply create a smaller cruising rig for the Merlin?
Rupert
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Wayfarer Mk 1 - cant go wrong. Had one when the children were small and always regretted selling it. Stable as a house, bags of room for 4, yet gives a rewarding sail and will go anywhere (see the Frank Dye' voyages).

Come to think of it I might get one myself again now I am in my dotage!
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

P.S, if you want more on versions see http://wayfarer.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... 09_v71.pdf
kfz

Post by kfz »

GP is a bit tight for 4 adults plus kit. 3 adults plus coolbox is pretty much the limit. You looking at the wayfarer really.

Hang the weight. Id go for a decent wood one. Most are well looked after, 1500 quid should see you good. Good trailer essential.
roger

Post by roger »

If you have a jockey wheel for the trolly it takes a lot of the hard work away unless your launching in sand or shingle.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

chrismartin3583 wrote:GP14 should tick all the boxes

If you don't want to race one of the old single skin glass boats should be ideal and relatively maintenance free so you can spend all your dads money on the Merlin :D

You are a bad influence on me! I'm already rudder shopping :P Just got to work out an economical way to get it from Guildford?
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Looking at the wayfarer info I think a mark 1 would be best.

1a looks good but if I can get them to but a pre 1985 boat I can sub the boat in for the merlin on CVRDA meets if required.

Yeah I think jockey wheel is a must.

I am a big fan of the beauty of wood but the boat would live outdoors so grp it has to be.

Dont know which marks but we have a couple of wayfarers at the club so when it gets a bit warmer will have to take mum out for a trial

Are there any clinker cruising boats that would be grp?
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Dunno whether you'd get any for the money, but take a look at the Drascombe range of boats - Lugger, Dabber etc.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'm surprised that no one has suggested the Wanderer...okay, it is not a CVRDA boat but would full the role superbly

D
David H
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Some of those cruising dinghies/dayboats tend to be rather expensive You could get a very good Wayfarer for the price of a second-hand Drascombe Lugger. And the performance different is massive. A Mirror will show a Drascobme a clean pair of heels.
Best wishes

SB
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

A Pacer might also fit the bill. Very light to launch but quite roomy inside with hard wearing plastic sails , two piece mast , And Spinaker friendly, or even a Miracle with similar lightweight advantages?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Drascombes are even heavier than a Wayfarer and expensive! We were seriously considering them as a family boat pre-divorce and looked at quite a few at a local dealers.
GP or Wayfarer I'd say.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

Had a drascombe lugger after the wayfarer when I lived in the channel isles. Good boat for a picnic, fishing and rock hopping (usually with the outboard) but if you want a sail it's the wayfarer everytime. The lugger lived on a mooring and I wouldn't even think of regular trailer launching - it weighed a ton!

DavidH suggests a wanderer, the wayfarer's little sister, and I would second that provided its big enough for you. However they are surprisingly expensive second hand.