Fixtures 2013

Chat about CVRDA events
Pat

Re: Fixtures 2013

Post by Pat »

If you mean 29/30 June, Luke, that would be good for those going to Birkett to make a week's holiday as it's on the way north.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That last weekend of June would fit nicely, by the look of it, thanks.
Rupert
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Hi guys,

Change of account, Podolski is gone I think my works email has decided to throw a hissy fit so been forced to change accounts.

There is a committee meeting at Blithfield this week and our rear commadore is putting the event proposal forward.

I have had contact from Mervyn Allen about the event and he would like to attend with MR 1 and if we have enough Merlin interest to have Blithfield as a DeMay venue in 2014.

At present with the interest from the forum and local I think we could be looking at 15-20 boats including 5 local merlins, 2 ospreys, enterprise, wayfarer. There are also some other local boats including a fireball, flying 15, GP14 that I have not managed to speak to to gauge interest yet.

We have a few phantoms but I only know the sail numbers and don't know which will qualify.
Is there a record for this anywhere? And for other classes too.

Luke
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Also please forgive my ignorance but still quite new to this sailing malarkey. What is the lord Birkett trophy, as there seems to be a lot of interest in it and I'm in the middle of deciding my fixtures for this season.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Luke,

The Lord Birkett isnt a classic event but for me it is one of my favourite events. It is sailed on Ulswater in July and is to commemorate Lord Birketts campaign to prevent Ullswater being made a reservoir. It is a two day event with a race around the whole lake each day. It is a mass start of around 200 boats ranging from toppers and topazs right through to 49ers and small cruisers. It is the scariest start line I have ever been on but great fun and only one person to my knowledge has won it more than once.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
davidh

Post by davidh »

Luke............

wow.....have you just had aall your christmas days come at once - you've got Sledgehammer, a Smokers AND Seventh Heaven! I take it from the other strings that you're at Blithfield? I'm supposed to be 'oop north' the weekend at the end of June, I want to be over at West Kirby for some of the time, it is the Centenary of the International 12. Could the two be combined into one long high mileage weekend ?????

I'm keen to see pictures of Seventh heaven....can you bear me in mind please?

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Luke,

Under cvrda rules, the Phantom is rather too new to qualify as a cvrda boat, as it was designed in 1971, and the cut off date is 1965.

However, if you have one or more wooden, single skin Phantoms who are interested in taking part, it is really up to you as the organizer whether you include them. I suppose you could look at the cvrda as a franchise - we supply the concept, the momentum to get an event started, the advertizing on here, the handicapping and hopefully visitors, but it makes a lot of sense to taylor the event to your requirements.
Maybe a bottle of plonk for the leading Classic Phantom, if you think you'll get some out?

Nessa may be able to help with the boat numbers you are looking at?
Rupert
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

roger wrote:Hi Luke,

The Lord Birkett isnt a classic event but for me it is one of my favourite events. It is sailed on Ulswater in July and is to commemorate Lord Birketts campaign to prevent Ullswater being made a reservoir. It is a two day event with a race around the whole lake each day. It is a mass start of around 200 boats ranging from toppers and topazs right through to 49ers and small cruisers. It is the scariest start line I have ever been on but great fun and only one person to my knowledge has won it more than once.
Lord Birkett sounds fun! Not too bad to get there from my neck of the woods. Do they use age adjusted handicaps?
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

davidh wrote:Luke............

wow.....have you just had aall your christmas days come at once - you've got Sledgehammer, a Smokers AND Seventh Heaven! I take it from the other strings that you're at Blithfield? I'm supposed to be 'oop north' the weekend at the end of June, I want to be over at West Kirby for some of the time, it is the Centenary of the International 12. Could the two be combined into one long high mileage weekend ?????

I'm keen to see pictures of Seventh heaven....can you bear me in mind please?

D
Yeah I am at Blithfield, would be a very long weekend, but hopefully worth the travels.
I haven't got any photos yet but I'll let you know when I have some. She won't be back in the water until February as I want to do any work while the boats dry.

I love to try and get her and gently together for a photo at some point as well.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Rupert wrote:Hi Luke,

Under cvrda rules, the Phantom is rather too new to qualify as a cvrda boat, as it was designed in 1971, and the cut off date is 1965.

However, if you have one or more wooden, single skin Phantoms who are interested in taking part, it is really up to you as the organizer whether you include them. I suppose you could look at the cvrda as a franchise - we supply the concept, the momentum to get an event started, the advertizing on here, the handicapping and hopefully visitors, but it makes a lot of sense to taylor the event to your requirements.
Maybe a bottle of plonk for the leading Classic Phantom, if you think you'll get some out?

Nessa may be able to help with the boat numbers you are looking at?
Will have to have a think about that, I'm not sure how many wooden there are, but then most of last season was me being away crewing so didn't get to really see that many club boats.
May be something to consider next year if this is a success as this is my first go at event organising and not over complicating may be an idea, but we'll see. Plus I need to know if the committee will ok the event.

Still I'm hoping to get a decent turn out. Is there any guide for the dates on other sail numbers in qualifying classes? Or is it a case of checking each class individually?
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Pat

Post by Pat »

There isn't a guide by sail number - it's something I'd like to establish for reference. Designed before 1965 and built before 1985 is the rule for classes with an association. For "lost classes" which have no association , we use designed and built before 1985 as the general rule
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

http://www.cvrda.org/wp-cvrda/cvrda-han ... icap-list/

The linked list isn't definitive, but contains almost all the boats which qualify. Pat will know whether the PY numbers on the list are up to date (they will be in 99% of cases), but there is a sailwave version Pat can email to you, I believe, with all recent changes nearer the event.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Luke...I'll be brief as I don't want to hijack what is otherwise a 'good' thread! Later this month, if not then, sometime in Feb, I'll be interviewing both Jon Turner and Richard Parslow for the new Merlin Rocket book and I am sure the subject of Seventh Heaven will come up time and time again. Come June..............Blithfield, I'll be able to give you the 'inside' track. Of course the boat was also the basis of the grp boats, I'm already in touch with Simon Bagley. But in the meantime, if you have a picture that I can use, I'd love to see it!

Like you, I too have a Smokers (the hull picture on the Merlin Rock Book Facebook page is mine...3025, Smokey Bear)

Am looking at the trip North already...... be good to get up that way, then home via Hollingworth Lake!

Dougal
David H
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Okay put a date in your sailing calendars everyone.

The committee has agreed for Blithfield to host a CVRDA event on the 29th and 30th of June this year.

Now, has anyone got a copy of a typical CVRDA NOR I can have gander at please?
If you could email it to luke tucker 1989 at hot mail dot co dot uk please
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Excellent news, Luke.

CVRDA NoR - I'll have a think about that.
Rupert