Just Checking.....

General chat about boats
Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Just Checking.....

Post by Bootscooter »

Is OK number 1915, built in 1978 in?

Just bought it for my son - and a lovely bit of kit it is too! 8) 8)
roger

Re: Just Checking.....

Post by roger »

Yep,

1985 is the current cut off.

be good to see you.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
kfz

Post by kfz »

Lets see some Pics BS!!

Do like the look of the OK. I had a mast at one point, it went to a good home. Fancy the resat of the boat......

Kev
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Welcome to the OK world.

I saw 1915 advertised and it certainly seemed good value. There is a huge interest in OKs in the UK at the moment and boats in sound condition are being sold very quickly.

Get it along to some CVRDA events as they are usually held on waters that really suit an OK. And they're fun too!

Boat 1985 was built in 1983 and is still a very quick boat with a good history.
At the end of year 1985 sail numbers stood at around 2007 and at the end of 1988 (25 years ago) sail numbers stood at around 2037 ,as far as i can make out.

Best wishes
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Thanks all - it's gorgeous (but still needing a little touch here and there to bring it up to scratch) :D

The Young'un raced it today and got two bullets (the flash git :lol: ), so I can't wait to get one also.

Here's a (very poor, mobile phone) picture of him today. The wrinkles disappeared with a litlle tweaking on the controls.

Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looks good!

Wrinkles are neccessarily slow, though - getting rid of them can open the top corner of the sail too much. Mind, if he was winning anyway, it must have been about right.

CVRDA OK revival? That should make Alan happy!
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Obscured by clouds wrote:one on the bay right now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OK-Sailing-Di ... 9563941%26

I'm actually chatting to the owner tonight regarding this :wink:
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

I seem to recall that this boat was advertised on the class assoc. site a few months back at about £350.

1915 looks good. But then do'nt they all?. I really must get 1211 out of the garage for a spin. Do'nt be tempted to pull on the downhaul (cunningham in old speak) to get rid of the wringles on the luff. Make sure the sail is up to the top band and only use downhaul up wind when getting a bit overpowered. Sorry if it's obvious but just trying to help. If you are newbies to OKs, the assoc do some good booklets on sailing them, i believe, although it appears the boy done good!!.

Rupert... A CVRDA OK revival? Just when I'm not around!! The right time for you to get one Rupert, as you've always promised yourself one.
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Thanks for the tips Alan 8)

I just can't wait to get one myself now!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I would Alan, but I'm enjoying Lightnings and Minisails too much at the moment. When the time comes to turn 2 boats into 1, I'll take another look!
Rupert
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Are we all sitting comfortably, for the next installment of "Jon's OK Search"?

Good.

On Sunday at the Club while watching the flash Young'un whip his way round the course I popped into the Office to see how many other OKs were registered; it appears there are 5, not including the Boy's one.
"Hmmm" I thought, "Once I've got myself a boat perhaps I can make some calls and see if we can get some Class racing arranged for later in the year..."

Well... after finishing work this evening I dashed back to my pokey little room in the Mess in eager anticipation of the Ebay auction for 1888 ending at 1900 (that's 7pm to you non military types), when a thought struck me. If I get the numbers of those OSC members with OKs, I can ring round now, and maybe, just maybe one of them is thinking of selling their boat! With my fingers positively flashing across the screen of my electric portable iPhone, I rang the lovely Sue who promptly furnished me with said numbers....

1st call......... no answer. Bugger. 45 minutes until the auction ends. Should I bid on 1888? It's currently £212.00, but has no trolley and trailer.
2nd call.........no answer. Flipping poo! 40 minutes to go. £212 isn't a lot, but it is very scruffy. Gah!

Suddenly, my electric portable iPhone rings....
"Hello, Bootscooter speaking" (not actually my real name)
"Hello, it's Tony,... you just called."

God Bless the chap! He'd missed my call and phoned back, yes he's got an OK at the Club....... THAT HE'S THINKING OF SELLING!!!!1111!!!ONE11!

Well! What can I say? It's very old, possibly sail number 1225, but I shall be going to have a look (and a sail, hopefully) on Sunday. :D 8) :D

I'm going to ring the rest of the chaps later (maybe contrast and compare if there's more for sale), and see if we can't get some more of these gorgeous boats out this year.
chopperado

Post by chopperado »

I've given up with OKs been looking for one for over a year it appears that most ok sailers seem to feel the need to hoard loads of boats and only sell the junk that's no good them. The amount of offers I've had for boats then strangled they have gone before you get there. Think the class has to be carefully that by not keeping a flow of reasonably priced boats will push interest away from class.
Bootscooter

Post by Bootscooter »

Roughly how much are you looking to spend, Chopperado?

I'm actively searching for the right one for me, but if I find one that's "right up you alley" so-to-speak, I can let you know... :)
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

I think you may have a point Chopperado. There was a stage when interest in the UK had faded away quite a bit and good very boats could be bought for peanuts. Top draw international racing could be had for little money.This was when us die hards were tempted to start collecting them, although i have never had more than two at any one time. Indeed, i think there was a 3 year spell when nobody was building them in the UK at all. But in the last few years there has been a big turn around with lots of smart folk now all of a sudden wanting good sorted boats. And what do you know?; now there's a shortage !. Hay oh.

Jon, i have to admire your nerves of steel and initiative. Do i read right or am I mistaken? There are 5 OKs at your club? It's been a very long day here plus this evening a 2 hour German lesson conducted in French(my French is minimal at present) so i've more than likely got it all totally wrong. Anyway, 1225 would date from 1968 so is excellent CVRDA stuff. This is quite a bit before i joined the class (1975) but i recall a few very good builders from that era being mentioned, ie Harry Millican, Peter Crew, Peter Beck. There were probably many more.
Andy Turner, the class sec, is a good source of info on individual boats. Ask him to keep a look out for you too. Do not give up!!

Alan