Help! Don't know what boat to go for?

General chat about boats
Michael Brigg

Re: Help! Don't know what boat to go for?

Post by Michael Brigg »

Just a thought for a Genuine "Classic," roomy, but when required, reasonably speedy option.

Would a Fairy Falcon be a good option? I suppose it might have weight or more possibly size issues for recovery, although that said it is a Moulded ply boat, so possibly lighter than it appears, and it is a genuine centreboard dinghy. It handles like a dinghy, but has enough freeboard for even the most timid crew to feel secure. It has enough volume to feel like a house underneath the Half Decking, and when using the seats you could almost imagine you were on an XOD Keelboat. It would be an excellent cruising/picnic boat, and Small children (if or when you are ever blessed with them) would love this kind of boat, leaving you free to sail your super high spec machine, while Granny takes the flack.

Fairy Falcons peformed very well in last years Bosham Classic event, both in the smooth and the rough stuff.

I had lessons in one from Roberta ("Bobby") Currey (Charles Currey's wife) when I first moved to the South Coast.
Michael Brigg
kfz

Post by kfz »

Rupert wrote:There was a small yacht called the Skipper 17, I think.
Few at our club Rupert. Trailer sailors go done well on the sometimes rough Mersey, but they are a little smal,a bit small for nice days where the cockpit is a little tight and the cabin a little small for overnights. The only other thing is they are bit slow (even for a trailer sailor) especially so to wind. Which is important with our stong tides and tidel gates. But they are generally happy things, cheap, stable and easy to sail.

If I was going for a small yacht then something a little bigger is a bit more capable for overnights. for day cruising in nice weather the GP and WAYF are better really. More fun and more space.

4 adults a bit tight I think.

Kev
Bootscooter
Location: Oxfordshire or Lincolnshire (depending on if I can get a weekend off)

Post by Bootscooter »

4 adults may be a little tight, but I think the suggestion of a Kestrel is worthy of some more thought...
Osprey (with a cut-down rig)?

And if you're going larger (and needing to lauch using a vehicle), what about a Tempest? Awsome performance, lifting weighted keel, trapeze and kite if the mood takes you. Oh, and a good useable one (as opposed to a racing one is cheap as chips (well I bought my old one for £500).
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

If wanting the unusual, Wildfires sometimes come up for sale, with their ballasted centreboard thing. Just watch out for the cost of the lead to fill it!
Rupert
Graham T

Post by Graham T »

I think I know of a free Kestrel if that would help - unless Nessa decided to have it.... A friend asked me to find a new keeper for her but I haven't heard from him for ages so not sure it is still available but I can find out.

Graham
Graham T
Osprey 1340, Osprey 1245, Osprey 55, Miracle 1358, Laser heap, ancient Mirror kit half assembled, Project Miracle in need of decks........
Kielder Water Sailing Club
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I asked him for cockpit pictures Graham and then heard nothing. I now have two kestrels, so if he does still want to part with it I won't be needing it. Thanks for the initial contact though, it looked like a decent boat.

But surprisingly the kestrel is not that roomy - three adults would be as much as you would want to take. It's quite a racy boat too so you'd want cruising sails, and without a jockey wheel it's a pain to move on shore.

The GP14 would be my suggestion. We have only just stopped using them as training boats and they have been great. There will be one going on ebay very soon, let me know if you're interested.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

IF you are thinking of something larger but still a dinghy, you might consider the Skua?

I must confess a vested interest as I will be selling mine this year. Presently needs decks stripping and re-varnishing, and some tidying up here and there.

The skua is about same size etc as a flying fifteen, but not as fast. Its 6mm marine ply, sails well, and has a lifting keel (for launching and for drying out on a mooring). Based on cvrda meetings I estimate its about same performance as a classic merlin.
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Having tried Nessa's Kestrel, I can safely say it would not be a good choice, being comparitively narrow and less stable than most mentioned. Even the Albacore is roomier, being designed to take two or three crew. The Falcon at Bosham seemed considerably larger and heavier than a Wayfarer which a strong lad like Luke should manage especially with a jockey wheel.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

the issue isnt me launching and recovering it would be if mom is with her friends.

The boat would also have to be GRP as it would be destined to live in the dinght park when not in use.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

I think you may need to compromise somewhere then Luke. Is four adults a "must have" or a "would be nice"? If not a "must have" then the GP14 is probably your best bet. It'll still be fine with three adults in. In some ways it may be a better bet than the Wayfarer anyway as the latter has a very powerful rig (about the same sail area as an Osprey) which could prove challenging for the less experienced sailor.
Best wishes

SB
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

i think the 4 people may be a luxury, rather than a necessity as reading back there seems to be several boats which may work for 3.

how is the GP for sea cruising?
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Lukey T wrote:i think the 4 people may be a luxury, rather than a necessity as reading back there seems to be several boats which may work for 3.

how is the GP for sea cruising?
The GP is excellent on the sea.
Best wishes

SB
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Looking though the best options seem to be the Wayfarer or GP14.

The current plan is that when/if the weather and water gets warmer I shall take Mum out in a Wayfarer and if I can borrow one a GP and see what the verdict is as, although I shall end up sailing which ever one is decided on, ultimately its Mums boat.

Just got to pick the right day......................
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
highburyal

Post by highburyal »

A GP or Wayfarer seem like the sensible options, but you could also consider a mirror 16 which I cruised on the west cost of scotland when a child or reduced rig jollyboat...

Seriously, I think a wayfarer fits the bill, we've cruised them at my club from Lydney down channel to Lundy, safe and stable but sail well as well.

Al
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

I must admit the idea of sea cruising in a wayfarer does intrigue me, wouldnt mind trying it one day.

Ive never been to lundy, sailed past and raced around it in my Swansea days but never been ashore. The pubs supposed to be good.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven