Chichester Harbour nostalgia

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
solentgal

Chichester Harbour nostalgia

Post by solentgal »

I came across this lovely piece of film of Chichester Harbour on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYXSaTuLf7U

Very nostalgic, good shots of Bosham, Itchenor and the big freeze in 62/63........coincidentally my Dad took cine film on the slipway by the "Ship" at Langstone on the western side of the harbour of me walking on the ice, probably the same day as the children in the film....think they were at Bosham or Itchenor though.....and I've just realised it is 50 years ago....and fairly sure it was mid January too.

Also a shot of Birdham Mill before Birdham marina was built........the view from the sea as you now approach the lock to the left of the mill. The film was taken before the lockgates were even put in, and it is a view I know exceptionally well.....the mill has hardly changed, but it looks so strange without all the boats there......and a building on the left of the water burned down some years ago, the foundations are still visible now.....nice to know what it looked like.

Just thought some of you may find it interesting.
Sami.
Alan P.

Re: Chichester Harbour nostalgia

Post by Alan P. »

Wonderful film. Even more so for a classic car fan. Thanks Sami
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
roger

Post by roger »

Fantastic, I can just remember ice flows on the solent whilst travelling across Lymington-Yarmouth with my granny. As I remember that wasnt just a short snap of cold it lasted several months.

Makes you think when we get a load of fuss about extreme weather conditions now.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
JimC

Post by JimC »

roger wrote:As I remember that wasnt just a short snap of cold it lasted several months.
As I (very dimly) recall where I was in Ayrshire we had a much milder winter than normal. There was snow at my grandparents on Boxing day, and then we went back up Nth, and all I can recall is scenes of frozen sea on the TV.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Jim......Ayrshire .....a coincidence......my maternal grandparents lived in Ayr in the sixties....we made a few trips north for our hols.....a beautiful area, and a holiday on Arran too when they moved over to Lamlash....happy days!
Sami.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Lovely video, although how they could describe the harbour today with its masses of moorings, marinas in every creek and lots of shore development as unspoilt amused me.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Thank you!

Maybe this year we can rediscover the joys if ice yachting (toppers)....

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.