Varnish

share hints, tips and experiences
Lukey T

Varnish

Post by Lukey T »

There a one or two patches on the deck of my boat where the frost has lifted the varnish before I got her.

On Sledgehammmer almost the entire deck was like this so the easiest way to sort it was to take all the varnish off and redo.

The patches are less than an inch square, is there any reason why I couldnt rub back the varnish in just the patch and redo?

It may be a daft question but I'd rather be sure as I dont really want to redo the entire boat.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
PeterV

Re: Varnish

Post by PeterV »

You will be able to do patch repairs but how it looks depends, sometimes it looks very blotchy as the new patches come a lot darker, but try it first you may be ok.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

A lot depends on whether you just want to protect the boat or get her into showroom condition. If the former then patching will fine. That's what I've done with my boat. The places where I've done it are quite obvious partly because I did it outside in a rush (so it's a bit of a mess) and partly because of the colour difference between the old and new varnish.
Best wishes

SB
kfz

Post by kfz »

Do you know what varnish has been used?

Only word of warning if it was 2 pack varnish then you should used a two pack again. If its conventional single part then use single part. Use a good quality marine varnish such as international. International Original is easy to use, works at low temperatures and is supposed highly compatible.

Your not working outside are you?

Kev
chris

Post by chris »

If traditional varnish takes days to dry in this weather a few drops of terebene helps. I mean a few, may six in a tin full.
It will also help an old tin.
angus

Post by angus »

From my experience you will always see where the varnish has been patched up. Having said that it really depends in what you are looking for. If you are after a perfect finish then you will at aome time heave to take the whole lot back to wood but I don't think you have anything to lose by trying just trating the spots and then looking to see if the finish is acceptable to you and means you will gat on the water far sooner even if it may mean in the future you have more work to do.
What is terebene, sounds like something I could use as a am frequently working in cold conditions.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
chris

Post by chris »

Terebene
(Chemistry) a mixture of hydrocarbons prepared from oil of turpentine and sulphuric acid, used to make paints and varnishes and medicinally as an expectorant and antiseptic:
The version for paint can be found here for example:
//www.agwoodcare.co.uk/prod/rustins_paint_dryers.html
chrismartin3583

Post by chrismartin3583 »

I wouldn't even attempt it untill summer unless you've got somewhere dry and heated to work in.

If it goes or has gone black explore under the deck to see where the water is coming in. I had a problem like this with Storm Cloud around the spinnaker sheaves in the deck. The glue holding the plywood strengthening surround had gone and the surround was only held on by the screws. Before the repair it was black as the ace of spades and looked frosted. I scraped the varnish from around the edge (NOT the deck surface) of the hole, took the wood off and dried it. When i glued the piece back managed to get some neat 106 to capillary under the varnish and seal the little bits of frost damage. The repair was invisible, and i didn't touch the deck surface.

With a repair like this you do not want to sand unless absolutely necessary as the wood will go dark and you'll spot it a mile off. Do everything you can to avoid it. It can be done, but sometimes you have to be creative.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

All sensible comments.

helps if you know what the varnish was before, because the colour of finish varies so much, but if this is a patch simply to repair and keep water out until you get around to doing it properly....

You can certainly use a single pack varnish over a double pack and in some ways this is easier as it is easier to apply and remove if you don't like it. But to be honest, if you wanted to....and I don't really recommed it, it most probably is possible to apply 2-pack over 1 pack in most cases. You would have to check first, (on a small area) but as long as the single pack is well dried and hardened, you shouldn't have any problems, with overlaying single pack. I have certainly done it, for instance on Jollyboat where decks have been twinpack and insides single and they meet and overlao at inner deck edge.

But single over double or soft over hard as in trad varnish over G4 is a pretty sensible way of working.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chrismartin3583

You can varnish two pack over single pack provided that the single pack has been on a long time and is inert. With single pack poly I've done it after 18 months. Old school oil based products will need much longer and it is certainly not advisable because old school varnish as Ed says is rather soft and will crack up under the two pack eventually causing crazing. I've yet to see this happen two pack poly over single pack poly that didn't react immediatly.

There aren't many reasons why you'd want to put two pack over single, in my case it was becasue the two pack was a known quantity and the new international compass had caused problems on another job. I new what was on my boat (Blakes dura gloss - the best ever!) and that it was hard as nails.

You need to know what's on the boat, if in doubt use single pack poly for the best of both worlds.
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

I cant see me having time to strip and revarnish before the start of the season. Showroom condition would be lovely but I fear a little bit beyond my current abilities and somethign i wouldnt want to risk on the new boat.
She looks stunning as is.

I have no idea whats on her, I believe it may be single pack. I'll have a chat with the previous owner, but dont know if he ever redid the whole boat.

Chris, is there any chance you can pop over on the way to the club one morning? My garage is in Rugeley. May be easier to show you than describe.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
chrismartin3583

Shouldn't be a problem, or bring the boat over.

Basically my advice is if it's not black leave well alone for now.

Roger will definately have done the whole boat, and i'd have thought he'd have done it in one pack poly. It was in quite a state when he took it on.
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Will have to be at the garage as I'm currently without a tow bar and Mum has sold her car which was the only one with one :evil:

Need to get mine sorted but Salcombe entry is the priority for this pay slip.

Just let me know what time, finally found my phone charger after 3 days of my life being on hold :mrgreen:

I would guess Pete will want me to crew again on Sunday if he's sailing so I will have to be up and on the road at that sort of time anyway.

I'll give Roger a ring on Tomorrow. Need the number for his tow bar guy aswell see if I can get the price down.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Ok, I now know the boat was redone with 2 pack poly a few years ago sprayed.

Since then any repair has been done with 1 pack poly.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven