Help! Don't know what boat to go for?

General chat about boats
jpa_wfsc

Re: Help! Don't know what boat to go for?

Post by jpa_wfsc »

Plan carefully - strong tides and a stronger tendancy to spend too long in the pub, and a likelihood of misjudgemtn after a pint or two of puffinz revfeng - -

I'm not as think as drunkle poop I am. Oh My Heady Blood!

Lundy!! Ahhh. Mind you smallest boat I have been there in was 107 foot and built in 1907! (The Irene).
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Lundy is doable in a dinghy, especially something like a Wayfarer or even a GP14. Members of the DCA do it from time to time and some that in a way it's one of the safest cruises they undertake because the dangers are so obvious. Cruising in any form of dinghy demands a different mindset from being a passenger on a yacht though.
Best wishes

SB
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Active racer rather than passenger, but I can imagine
dinghy cruising being a lot different.

I just love to be sailing, in any form.

Have to see which boat we end up with.

How does the GP compare to the Wayfarer on stability? They look more tippy but that could be because I've only ever seem them raced
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Lukey T wrote:How does the GP compare to the Wayfarer on stability? They look more tippy but that could be because I've only ever seem them raced
I don't think you could fairly describe a GP14 as tippy. Quite the reverse; it's a very stable boat. The Wayfarer has an even more powerful hull but also has a much more powerful rig. It has virtually the same sail area as an Osprey. That's why those you see cruising or being used for tuition are usually heavily reefed even in quite moderate winds. Overall the GP14 is going to be easier to handle.
Best wishes

SB