Recreation of Shackletons voyage

General chat about boats
roger

Recreation of Shackletons voyage

Post by roger »

I can only say I am full of admiration for these guys. Re creating first the voyage from Elephant Island to South Georgia and now following in his footsteps over the glaciers to the whaling station where his team found help to rescue the rest of his men. Not a single man lost.

Amazing

http://shackletonepic.com/
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Bill-Conner

Re: Recreation of Shackletons voyage

Post by Bill-Conner »

AND they wore the sort of gear that Shackletons men had, no woosy modrn kit for at least a few of them - respect.
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

I saw the James Caird at the boat show a few years ago, and all I can say is that hauling boats that big and heavy around on the ice for months, then sailing one to South Georgia (with a very inefficient lug sail rig, and what looked like a flat sheet of heavyweight canvas for a sail) was little short of superhuman. It's great that voyages like this can be recreated, serves as a reminder of what humans are capable of. Has anyone ever recreated Bligh's small boat voyage after the Bounty mutiny I wonder?

Could I respectfully request that we refrain from repeating the myth that Shackleton didn't lose a single man? Of course, no-one from the Weddell Sea party led by Shackleton himself died, but the Ross Sea party from the same expedition was also stranded and several men unfortunately lost their lives. Shackleton's achievements were incredible, but I believe it's disrespectful to the memory of the Ross Sea party to concentrate only on the success of the Weddell Sea bit of the expedition.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

The Bounty/Bligh voyage was done a few years back by Jasper Shackleton the son of Keith aka K Humphrey Shakewell, there was a web site. These Shackletons are relations of Ernest but not linear descendents. Keith painted several pictures of the boat at sea.

http://www.jamescairdsociety.com/shackl ... ?id=103158
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Inspiring stuff indeed!
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com