What's your wheels?

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
Ed
Site Admin

What's your wheels?

Post by Ed »

Moving over from another thread....there has been recent talk about 'classic cars'....

Seems to me that last time we had a thread about classic cars and bikes, it caused an awful kerfuffle, so I am wary of bring the subject up again.

But I agree, it seems to me that quite a few of us who are into classic boats, have been or still are into other classic vehicles, mainly bikes and cars. I thought it would be fun to just see what else we have in our garages and see if there are any other common interests.

@GAVinT: what do you have in your collection?

At least 3 or 4 of the original Roadford Lake CVRDA crowd are currently more into metal than wood.

To get the ball rolling: My 'wheeled collection' collection includes:

Bikes:

1978 Yamaha TY175 trials bike
1971/2 Montesa 247 Cota trials bike
1977 Moto-Guzzi T3 850 California (off road at moment)

Cars:

Simone:
Austin A30 Late 50s In yard at moment
Land Rover Discovery TD300

Me:
1983 Alfa Sud Ti Green Cloverleaf with Zender bodykit - being delivered soon
1996 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting

Neil - want to post about your efforts in the Mac this year.....must be off soon.

Graham - whats the latest news on your Porsche special?

So what else is there?

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
neil
Site Admin

Re: What's your wheels?

Post by neil »

I was going to post in the double stacker trailer thread as it was veering towards camper vans as my lastet project is the Long Wheel Based Discovery Prototype which is going to be a campervan as it was formally an ambulance

the other project is another Land Rover Discovery - about to take part in the Mac4x4 Endurance event - fund raising for Macmillan Cancer Support - details at http://www.teamtoad.org

Donations very gratefully received at http://www.justgiving.com/TeamToad2013 8)

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
Pat

Post by Pat »

Is that going to be a pop-top campervan Neil?

We've got the Tranny conversion all planned out and parts bought - a trip to CAK tanks http://www.caktanks.com/CAK%20-%20Products.htm in Kenilworth and Magnum Motorhomes http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/index.asp in Grimsby sourced all the parts. Next stage is cutting holes for rooflights but that needs dry weather.

The house is taking priority this year though. We joke that when I said I wanted to watch tv in the kitchen, anyone else would move the tv into the kitchen, but we've moved the kitchen to the tv! Now to knock the old one down and extend.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Pat, thanks for those links, I'll be spending hours on both sites making lists :wink: I can see my debit card twitching in horror

The roof of the Ambulance is solid and we only found out it was the prototype when a Journo from one of the Land Rover mags turned up to write an article on it as it had dropped off his radar. He told us that it was the first 116" Disco, was used as a demonstrator by LR and after 2 years was converted to the high roof version and used as a demonstrator again. Although it's 20 years old it's had a full service history and is very low milage. Turns out to be worth considerably more than my purchase cost due to it's prototype status.

This means that I can't make any changes and additions, so the challenge is to do the conversion to a campervan using the existing holes, brackets and fixings. I had to deAmbulance it as a condition of sale, but the lights and sirens are still there, although are disconnected. We intend to use it when Zenith gets on the water so hopefully you'll see it at CVRDA events in the future :D

GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

My small collection may not be to everyone's taste but is currently fronted by a Sachs 650 Roadster, customised as a Street tracker.
I had a very troublesome V2 version before but the bike itself was sound, comfy and handled superbly, so I found a Suzuki engined version
The current one Imageis a single pot lump with twin carbs, and a megaphone exhaust so turns heads also. It is as dependable as the other one wasn't, but either way these are very rare machines this with it's metal tank and custom bits unique.
Ed, I have never owned a Guzzi, but like them, especially the old Le Mans types. Remember those California's in Chips, as well as the second Dirty Harry film?
I do have a couple of Italian jobs, two Aprilias. The first made when Aprilia was still an independent firm in the early 90s. it is model strangely called Red Rose and has a water cooled two stroke 133 engine(very popular in go karts)of 125 cc with a six speed box, 33 BHP. The 122 version has different internals and a more racy affair.
Alternatively there is also an Aprilias Maxi scooter, with fully automatic transmission. Based on the Ubiquitous Piaggio X9, with its 125 Leader engine, neither made now ,mine hardly gets used, and has only done 5000 miles in its decade on the planet but is a useful shopping hack.
Despite its modest cc the Aprilia Atlantic it is capable of 65/70 MPH and gets away from the lights rapidly, with good MPG. They do larger engined versions but personally I see little point in 500 cc +scooters, especially as it seems the bigger they get the less storage is on offer. Image
There are also two near identical 200 cc trail bikes, Chinese copies of the Honda XL 185, which I hope to use when fully recuperated (me not the bikes)in a nearby pit where scrambles take place.
The last bike I sold was an MZ 351 long frame, however not to a local club that race track versions at Snetterton and such, surprisingly no response from them. Mine was in scrambler guise. I sold a CZ 125 which I never did anything with...Image
Another Chinese job I bought was a new unused 150 cc cruiser, this time based on a Suzuki split single, and dare I say occassionally taken for another cruiser, from the good ol US of A.Image
Or at least a much bigger cc bike. It does have some surprising features that would usually only be fitted to much more prestigious makes and is still only 16 quid to tax annually..
Going down in size I have a 6v c90 Honda done up as an off road scrambler. Another with the same engine type and crunch semi auto gearbox is a C70 engine with oversize pistons and 110 cc head, fitted into a road legal pit bike frame. That little thing grabs more attention and enthusiastic remarks than any of the others and should be OK on the bike rack that still allows a trailer to be towed.
Neil once I had a message from a guy in Monmouthshire! asking for measurents with regard to a Tabur Yak(and air cooled penta crescent outboard)up for sale. It had been the tender for a sailing cruiser sold seperately.
After sending the dimensions he said the boat was ideal for his LWB LandRover's roof rack. He drove all the way up from Wales the next day,and planned to call in and see his daughter in a nearby Suffolk town, just the sort of thing I would do on a whim and after a brief demo of the engine, sure enough the boat was lifted onto the roof and fitted snugly. So everyone was satisfied.
There is a 4 wheel drive centre in this very town and I know someone who deals in second hand Landrovers if that's of any help in your quest?
Last edited by GAVinT on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 10 times in total.
JimC

Post by JimC »

I have a '72 YDS7 Yamaha in the garage plus most of the bits required, stowed as a retirement project. That was a very significant bike because it was the first of the two stroke Yams with a horizontally split crankcase and direct ancestor of all the TD series racers.
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

Was that the reed valve type Jim developed from MZs racers, when their chief designer defected to Japan, and the engine Phil Reed and Agostini rode to great effect after also Ago defected from his beloved MV Augustas. Reed won the 350 Championsip on ? or maybe my Memories fading with the passage of time. :oops:
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

With all this classic car expertise around could I take this post from a different angle. What would have been an appropriate period car to tow your new Int 14 to meetings in 1937 (the blazer and cravat are assumed)?

Robert
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

An Awstin of England 14, or maybe a 12 AstorImage?.. and a Suffolk Punch to launch the darnd thing???
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

rme_01 wrote:What would have been an appropriate period car to tow your new Int 14 to meetings in 1937 (the blazer and cravat are assumed)?

Robert
I was going to say something nice like a Jaguar SS100, then I found this site - http://www.prewarcar.com/classifieds/british-cars/

Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

This was Grandpa's Limited Edition Green Label
Grandpa's Bentley 1.jpg
A garage offered my Uncle £250 for the "scrap value" (in 1970)

He took the money.

:|
Michael Brigg
Pat

Post by Pat »

Neil said
I'll be spending hours on both sites making lists I can see my debit card twitching in horror
I use a Tesco clubcard credit card and pay it off monthly and it earned so many points from buying the campervan bits that I gained enough vouchers to convert to another free return channel tunnel crossing - when the campervan is done!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
roger

Post by roger »

Compared to you guys I am very much an amateur in that I used to own a 74 MG B in Brooklands green. It is now owned by my father in law who has sripped in down to rebuild and seems to have got stuck.

I do have another hobby in common with another cvrda member. Garry and I both keep bees.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

God, a Renault Scenic really doesn't hack it on these pages, does it? And the only bike I ever owned was a Yamaha QT50...
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

@Michael Brigg

Just don't!!!

If my father had kept just about any of his cars, they would be worth a fortune now. Of course I don't know where most of them are....but this one 'UU79' came up for sale recently:

http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auction ... 22467.aspx

some images at:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=uu79+ ... B300%3B165

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it