What's your wheels?

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
chris

Re: What's your wheels?

Post by chris »

Some forty years ago I was keen to get an Austin 7, as a friend had one. The one I went to see in my price bracket (£25 was quite enough then) was in pieces ready to start rebuilding. Must have been a strange car as there were at least four radiator grills with it. But I decided it was all too rusty and beyond me so didn't go for it.
The nearest I have come since was helping my son in law with a '30s tandem he found under some brambles in a friends garden unless you count restoring an 1825 grand piano for Beaulieu and the motor museum.

S.B. who won the pursuit race at the Holt event at Wraysbury has a Model T ford apparently.

come on Garry...own up to your latest toy...
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Ah.......I was restrained in my reply to Gavin on the "Pacer mould" thread, as I thought it might be deemed too off topic....I nearly moved it here too.

Currently I just have the Standard 10,

.....but a history that includes the following:

Bikes. Countless NSU quickly mopeds, and many other assorted mopeds (from when they really were mopeds), Swallow Gadabout scooter (incredibly rare....my very first bike, aged 12), many other Villiers powered assorted lightweights,... BSA: several Bantams, C15, ....Triumph: Tiger Cubs, 650 T110, ....Matchless: 500 (single and twin)..... Velocette Venom,... Honda CB72e (VERY early, 1959 reg I think) many 50/65/90cc variants including rare sports models, SS125, CD175, CB200, several CB250, 440/4, 2x750/4. ..... Yamaha:V50, V55 (early/rare) AC50, very rare ACC50, YG1, YL1, YAS1, RD125, CS3, CS5, RD250 (early and coffin) RD400, DT50, DT100, DT175, XS250, XS400.....and quite recently two XJ600, .... Suzuki: U50, M50, K11(very rare) B120, GT125, GT250, GT750, TS100,TS125, TS250,.......several more Jap bikes that I've forgotten.....an assortment of others...Ducati 160 Monza, MZ etc, several Lambretta (including a"D").......and the list goes on......a true obsession when I was younger!

Cars.....even more...too many to mention....but ones that stand out from all the Minis (13), Cortinas (MK 1,2,3,4) Fiestas, etc are: Jago model T rod 1.6 crossflow,... 1937 model Y rod, (chopped, chanelled, stage 3 2litre) 1972 Chevrolet Impala, 2x 3litre Capri, 3x 3litre Scimitar, V8 Landy Safari, +Defender diesel,+ 2A SWB, Susuki L80 4x4, MGBgt Auto (lovely!) Fiat 500 (suicide door) Isetta bubble x2, Bond Mini-car, Reliant regals and robins (1960 eariest), Bond bug x2, Berkely T60x2, A35 saloons and countryman, Vivas, Heralds, Spitfires, 100E, several 105E, 1967 alpine sports (which amazingly came up for sale on ebay a few months ago 32 yrs after I sold it!) Rapier fastback, Dutton Melos, 2x LHD Beetles, LHD Merc 123 diesel,....etc, etc.............If it is unusual or interesting I can't resist......but it's been a lot of fun :)

But I have mellowed in the last few years.. keep things longer and buy one at a time (exc boats)...thanks to the folk in white coats :?
Sami.
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

there's obviously something the the CVRDA DNA about fixing old things.

my previous project, had to sell it to buy the Ambulance as car aren't as easy as boats to hide or use the 'but I've had this for ages' line

IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJbwkRE6-F8
may be of interest for the dewy eyed nostalgia types and there is a Super 10 having a go Sami.
Imageand my first and until recently only' new bike
Last edited by GAVinT on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
keithr

Post by keithr »

Wish I had kept some of mine:

Ford pop 1957 model
Standard vanguard 1953
Series 1 land Rover 57 and 59
Series 3 landrover 81
One of the first Impreza Turbo"s with ally panels, indecently quick
One of only 12 VW Tristar syncros sold by VW in the UK, This went to a few CVRDA events.

Caravans

Willerby Vogue 1957
Various Carlights
Mardon Classique.

Still in Barn
1936 Eccles
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
keithr

Post by keithr »

Trying to get some pics up
Attachments
vanguard.jpg
(28.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
CONE2005.jpg
(19.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
JimC

Post by JimC »

solentgal wrote:Honda 440/4
!! Not come across that one... I've had several 400F, but because I worked in the trade for a while I was never that bothered about owning different bikes. Shame I had to sell my CB72 when I was really broke back in the 80s.
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Gav.....many thanks.....very inspiring ....looked one of the quicker cars....light and nimble....but uprated I'm sure:)

Jim.....yes...meant 400/F really....so many model numbers to remember....the F stood for Four as far as I remember.......some Honda fours were labeled 4 to distinguish them from twins (eg. 500/4...500T).. My 72E was in cafe style when I had it...and was the envy of everyone...it is the one bike I dream of seeing on ebay as a barn find, untouched since I sold her.......also just remembered a couple of Ariel Leaders that spent more time in bits than being ridden ....and nearly bought an Arrow a few years back that belonged to someone I knew when I was very young....wish I had ,it was as I remembered....stripped with dropped bars, must have been a barn find!!!... also had a near miss with a Pixie.......and a BSA Dandy.....many years ago.
My younger brother had a Garelli tiger-cross (50cc "moped" law beater) that passed to him from a friend of mine who bought it new....... I missed the sixteener ban (she said, showing her age) but rode it on many occasions....checked it against other bikes for top end speed......it did a genuine 62mph...very impressive.
Sami.
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
When young had an LX 150 used to pass test then Royal Enfield 250 Continental, Francis Barnett bacon cutter, Arieal Arrow, BSA Gold Star 500 (wish I still had it),Triumph Bonneville X3, Jota crap switch gear swapped over for honda 750 4 switch gear and then Bennelli 1000 which we also switched to honda switch gear. The Italian switch gear was very unreliable in the wet, and finally another Bonney,
Cars Mini 3 from 850, 1275GT Clubman, 1098 Cooper S, MGA (paid £50 for it), rebuilt and got £850, with money from previous brought Austin Healey 100/4/4 sold for £1100. Frogeyed Sprite very disappointing just an A35 in a party dress. Built Mini Marcus racer, built Mini Marcus Road car, Built Marcus 3L. MGB which was swapped with a german friend when I lived in Hamburg for a 1965 Porsche 911 targa series 1 all sold for a profit. As an aside Graham Brookes stored one of my previous cars (Mini Marcus), which was brought on the open market years after I had sold it for one of his friends. Got married started driving family cars Mg Metro Gt. Opel Kadet, Maestro HLS, Montego Estate petrol ,followed by 4 diesel Montego Estates. Then followed a Fiat 126, Renault 5 1.9, Toyota Estima 4X4, Nissan Almera, and finally the best car I have ever owned a Lexus IF 220D we also own a Fiat Panda great little car for short journeys and a Fiat Ducato Motorhome.
Thats about it. Now a days I would sooner pay to have someone fix/service cars than do it myself.
Cheers Fellow petrol heads
Al

Bloody Hell Ed What a motor and what a price. What other family jewels did your father "give away"? Makes me moaning about the price people will pay now for an MGA, Healy, frogeye seem very crass. Neil my Dad had an SS1 Swallow and had to pay to have it taken away in the sixties.
trebor

Post by trebor »

first car Austen 1100 (thermometer speedo) first car purchased Bedford HA van, favourite car bright red Ford Capri with Rostyle wheels.
Bikes Yamaha FS1E, Honda C50 & CD175, Jawa 350 & sidecar, Bultaco 250 trials, Suzuki GP 100.
Bultaco probably the only classic.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Ahhhh, another Capri. When I met my wife she had a Black JPS Capri, but as we were poor students it had to get changed to something that was less of a money pit.
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

I had a 1984 four cylinder Honda, only it was VF400, and had a V4 water cooled engine and complex enclosed disc brakes that never caught on. Sounded great with Micron exhausts but was 10 years old and a bit scruffy when I bought it off a work colleague in the 90s, but got sprayed the same red as my Ford TBird I was doing up back then
ImageImage
Last edited by GAVinT on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scorpion_1925

Post by scorpion_1925 »

i have a 1983 mk3 ford capri, use it every day for work and for towing the boats, its a bit of a project, has had a new engine fitted bored out to 2.1litres with a high torque cam. low ration back axle fitted, and plenty of carbon fibre fitted too.
Scorpion 1925
International moth magnum 8

Ford Capri
chris

Post by chris »

Good thing we don't handicap the cars too then!
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

How many points added for a re-bore? And is the carbonfibre bling, like on an RS100 foredeck, or structural, like a Merlin mast?!
Rupert