Shin kicking

General chat about boats
trebor

Re: Shin kicking

Post by trebor »

Hi Michael, only just read link, thought you were being humorous, I quite agree, their are many occupations that deserve recognition for the part they played during wars, in the valley where I sail their are a group of pools that are bomb craters from 2nd world war, the bombers were after the three collieries that were only a few miles apart, during the raid the miners carried on working, they could not have got them up in time anyway.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

trebor wrote:Hi Michael, only just read link, thought you were being humorous, I quite agree, their are many occupations that deserve recognition for the part they played during wars, in the valley where I sail their are a group of pools that are bomb craters from 2nd world war, the bombers were after the three collieries that were only a few miles apart, during the raid the miners carried on working, they could not have got them up in time anyway.
I was being humorous, while at the same time taking the opportunity to admire the fortitude and bravery of these men. Frostbite racing allows us to appreciate, and admire their bravery.

The idea that we should have an Arctic medal for our small ice-breaking feats allows us, with some irony, to honour them.

I have finally completed "The Worst Journey in the World."

Is it coincidental that I hear another celebrated Brit, Sir Ranulf Fiennes is abandoning a winter journey across the South Pole with Frost Bite
Michael Brigg
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Michael, what is " The worst journey in the world" ? excuse my ignorance.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

The worst journey in the world.

Is a memoir of the 1910-13 (Robert Falcon Scott - father of Sir Peter.) expedition by a survivor, Apsley Cherry Gerrard. Captain Scotts last letter to his wife could be considered the foundation document of the conservation movement.
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

I do think there must be something mad about dinghy sailors in winter. Not that I can comment as I've sailed almost every weekend with my 3mm wet suit and no spray top (on the must buy list).

Saying that there has been some great sailing this winter and more sun than last summer.

Though Trebor I have been wearing gloves haha
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Luke, I also wear gloves, they were in my pocket, confusion caused by cold I had forgotten to put them on, used them during first race. Their is a member of club where I sail who is also a member of Blithfield, I cannot recall his name but he is on last couple of seconds of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SMBv-Ph6U
Hi Bill, I have read a book about scott, years ago, I think it was a diary that had been novelised, I do not know if it was this one, I will look out for this book and check.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

My Dad was torpedoed by the Luftwaffe on the Arctic convoy in 1942. His ship was the SS Lowther Castle - all documented somewhere so Mum is able to put in for the Arctic Star. His most vivid memory of the torpedoing was the disappointment not to have taken the ship's chronometer before she sank. In January 1944 (call him lucky if you must!!) he was torpedoed in the Indian Ocean by U boat U.188 in the SS Fort La Maune and was in a lifeboat for 14 days before being picked up. This time he got the chronometer and put it under his coat but when he got to the lifeboat the lowering mechanism had jammed and he set it down in a safe place. Once it was freed the angle of the ship caused the chronometer to slip into the water and he lost it again!! He got a commendation for bravery for both events which every time we moved house my Mum rescued these from the dust bin as he never really talked about it except to say that they were all young men, it was really exciting and it always happened to someone else. Mum is keen to get the Star to complete the record for her great grandchildren as Dad was sunk by emphysema (Naval Issue cigarettes) for the last time in 2007 aged 85.

To put it in perspective with the youth of today Dad was a Cadet in the Merchant Service at 15 years old, was in the war at 17 and torpedoed twice by the age of 21. To quote Monty Python - if you tell the young people today - they won't believe you.

The narrative for the Indian Ocean torpedoing was documented from the view of a member of the U boat crew and also through Dad written by Arthur Binning.

http://scotland.users.ftech.net/u188p1.htm
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Humbling Garry and a reminder that like every succeeding generation we are not the men our fathers were!
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Bill and Garry, What our parents and Grandparents did was incredible, but I do not think we should write of the youth of today, they are on the whole a good crowd, we should not be influenced by the minority who make the news and appear in reality programmes.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Precisely my point.
A P Herbert wrote a short poem about the Battle of Britain pilots which starts
"These are not the men their fathers were........................................
The same could apply to the young men and women in our armed forces today and us their parents!
Somehow each generation steps up to the plate.
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

Those shouting to write off the youth of today should look to what our servicemen and women achieve under very difficult conditions.
Best wishes

SB
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Not intending to write off the youth of today at all but I am sure over all that there was a discipline in society which seems to be lacking. People are healthier and yes relatively well off nowadays yet we witnessed rioting where the law was ignored. I think it is summed up by a lack of respect for people's property. But yes there are plenty of good people out there.
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi, following last weeks sailing which prompted the Shin kicking title, here is a short video from yesterday, more like the Florida mid winters, sun only, still probably 15 degrees colder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N88SXCEtcg
I have read this poem several times but did not recall it from your one line quote, if you do not know poem or recall it, it does come across negative, and speaking for myself I misunderstood your meaning, however I have re-read poem and agree with your original sentiments. Rob
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Here is the complete thing - hard to argue with the sentiments. APH's son in law John Pudney (father of Jerem of Int 14 & Mirror fame.) also wrote "Johny head in air."

These Are the Boys

These are the boys of whom we said
"They are not what their fathers were;
They have no heart, And little head;
They slouch, and do not cut their hair."

Yet these like falcons live and die;
These every night have new renown;
And while we heave a single sigh
They shoot a brace of bombers down.
kfz

Post by kfz »

Garry R wrote:My Dad was torpedoed by the Luftwaffe on the Arctic convoy in 1942. His ship was the SS Lowther Castle - all documented somewhere so Mum is able to put in for the Arctic Star. His most vivid memory of the torpedoing was the disappointment not to have taken the ship's chronometer before she sank. In January 1944 (call him lucky if you must!!) he was torpedoed in the Indian Ocean by U boat U.188 in the SS Fort La Maune and was in a lifeboat for 14 days before being picked up. This time he got the chronometer and put it under his coat but when he got to the lifeboat the lowering mechanism had jammed and he set it down in a safe place. Once it was freed the angle of the ship caused the chronometer to slip into the water and he lost it again!! He got a commendation for bravery for both events which every time we moved house my Mum rescued these from the dust bin as he never really talked about it except to say that they were all young men, it was really exciting and it always happened to someone else. Mum is keen to get the Star to complete the record for her great grandchildren as Dad was sunk by emphysema (Naval Issue cigarettes) for the last time in 2007 aged 85.

To put it in perspective with the youth of today Dad was a Cadet in the Merchant Service at 15 years old, was in the war at 17 and torpedoed twice by the age of 21. To quote Monty Python - if you tell the young people today - they won't believe you.

The narrative for the Indian Ocean torpedoing was documented from the view of a member of the U boat crew and also through Dad written by Arthur Binning.

http://scotland.users.ftech.net/u188p1.htm
Its a very special kind of bravery to go out as a legitimate target, unarmed with no way to defend yourself. Those Arctic Convoys where the real worst.

Thankyou for you Dads service.

Kev