Minisail Kit

Post your requirements here
cweed

Minisail Kit

Post by cweed »

Hello.

I have an opportunity to acquire a gratis Minisail hull ( I think it's a Sprite ), grp, not great but usable. There is nothing with it, but I do already have a daggerboard.

I'm sure that someone will know what masts and sails are available, so is it worthwhile taking it on?

The same place also has, or had, a Coypu hull, again just bare...............

Any comments please?
SoggyBadger

Re: Minisail Kit

Post by SoggyBadger »

I'm sure that Rupert will be able to help you source the spars for the Minisail. The Coypu might be trickier.
Best wishes

SB
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Minisail bits can often be got from the Minisail forum (got to from www.minisail.org.uk - just click on the link). If you fancy a new sail (the old ones tend to be more like parachutes) then R&J and Morgan sails both do them for a bit over £200. Otherwise, someone might still have an old one sculling around. Peter Matthews was looking into sourcing Ali for spars. if no one has any old ones, from a metal factor - I think he has some to test, which I hope to try at the training weekend. Will report back. Rudders can be harder to find, but a fixed blade is easy to make if you don't run aground too often, and it means the stock doesn't drag in the water from the narrow transom.

Good luck with finding all the bits!
Rupert
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

There is a complete one on Gumtree for £150 which has 2 sails one of which is a Laser, and doesn't the mast and boom fit too, albeit maybe not legal within the confines of Association rules?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Pretty sure a Laser bottom mast is too big to fit down the 'ole... It can be set by bunging a foot onto the top of the mast, but the MS mast is so bendy compared, it sets very badly.
Rupert
cweed

Post by cweed »

Thanks for the comments.

I've got various old laser spars and sails, but it won't be very much a Minisail.

I'm not really in a hurry to acquire it, it's been dormant for quite a few years, but if parts materialise, it would be nice to recommission.
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

cweed wrote:Hello.

The same place also has, or had, a Coypu hull, again just bare...............

Any comments please?
If anyone wanted to do up the Coypu it could be worth contacting some of the Sea Scout Troops around the country. It was certainly popular around the Solent in the 70s. I believe the Coypu was designed as a Scout boat that could be rowed with two or four oars as well as sailed. (Am I right in remembering that the sail symbol is similar to a Scout badge?) It is a tubby little boat but great for kids playing Swallows and Amazons.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

The Coypu insignia is a ... Coypu. No idea what a scout badge looks like though. Coypus, as far as I know, were designed and built somewhere in East Anglia/Norfolk Broads. I wouldn't fancy using one on the sea as they're undecked.
Best wishes

SB
GAVinT

Post by GAVinT »

ImageThe Anglo Marine Adventurer was promoted by reference to its popularity with Sea Scouts
Last edited by GAVinT on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

SoggyBadger wrote:The Coypu insignia is a ... Coypu. No idea what a scout badge looks like though. Coypus, as far as I know, were designed and built somewhere in East Anglia/Norfolk Broads. I wouldn't fancy using one on the sea as they're undecked.
There were a few of these kicking around the scout sailing centre near Marlow, but that was a lomg time ago. They weighed a ton and seemed about as hydrodynamic as the Tate Modern.

The things they make sea scouts sail... My old troop had a couple of bathtubs called Ladybirds. Awful things.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com