SRPING TRAINING CANCELLED

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

SRPING TRAINING CANCELLED

Post by Rupert »

I hope I am not too late to catch people before they set out...

Looking at the latest forecasts, the more pessamistic ones appear to be coming true, so it is with heavy heart that I have to cancel the training this weekend. Partly, it is because the sailing looks too dangerous. 0c with -7 windchill and 34 mph gusts sounds like too much of a risk. Also, I don't want people travelling needlessly, both from a road-safety point of view and because of the likelyhood of a wasted journey with no sailing at the end of it.

I woke this morning to the radio saying it would be the coldest March weekend in 50 years. Sadly, that would make it irresponsible to carry on with the event..
Rupert
Nessa

Re: SRPING TRAINING CANCELLED

Post by Nessa »

phew, saves me having to be the first to bail out....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Saves us being second.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
JB9

Post by JB9 »

At Bough Beech we are holding a Streaker and Laser open tomorrow if anyone is keen.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I won't be at that one, I'm afraid, but Ronnie and Dean, who were going to come over from Belgium this weekend, have now moved their ferry booking in order to come to the cvrda weekend at BB in early August!
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thick white stuff blowing round in the sky. Not nice sailing weather... think I made the right call...
Rupert
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

I think your right Rupert, these conditions would probably be too dangerous for driving to Whitefriars anyway, let alone sailing in this weather.
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Strange thing is that here, only about an hour from Whitefriars, we have not seen any of the white stuff, a little sleet first thing, that's all.

We took our son to the open day at UWE (Bristol) and saw some cars in the car park that looked as if they had driven in from Siberia. Just glad I don't have to collect our daughter from Lancaster. Let the train take the strain :)

The Solo is on the trailer ready to take to Shearwater tomorrow. If anyone else is willing (i.e. stupid) enough I might even get on the water. I need to get some practice in as training at West Wilts starts straight after Easter - more frozen kids.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Pat

Post by Pat »

Even though we haven't seen snow, it is bitterly cold and it isn't so much the sailors I worry about - they're being active in these winds - but the rescue crews who have to sit out on the boats doing little for an hour at a time.
At least at Shearwater it's relatively sheltered by the trees and they can come into the race box easily for a warm up. If I was RO today at Cheddar I'd be keeping crew time on water to short shifts and swapping people around.
I heard the Exmoor Beastie is still on - three hours plus as rescue boat crew anyone?
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
JB9

Post by JB9 »

We had 23 for the Laser/Streaker event and most were not members.
Harrier 25
505 7163
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

And I thought it's been a crap weekend here! It's only 11/12c and it's actually been raining. Mum and Dad are driving back to the UK tomorrow, poor souls.
I've got a place fixed up for the Dart/Sprint15 and just need to get it out of the garage, do the usual checks and get it down there. Hope to get out very soon. Am going to miss CVRDA.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just start a local branch - plenty of interest in classic/wooden boats in France, isn't there?
Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I did an hour's instruction this morning then safety boat duty. I have known colder, but not much.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Well I went out this morning. Typical Shearwater winds - blowing strongly in places, nothing in others, and swinging about a bit. Still I learnt how not to set up the Solo! Temperature was above zero, just.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

[quote="Rupert"]Just start a local branch - plenty of interest in classic/wooden boats in France, isn't there?[/quote]

Hello Rupert.

Probably up north, but I've never seen wooden dinghies around here. I do'nt think the heat is kind to them. Lots of old plastic 470s, 420s,505s etc ,usually with bleached and chalky gel coats.
Anyway, it's the friendly folk of CVRDA i'll miss rahter than the woodies.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005