What's this then? One off?

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
mole

What's this then? One off?

Post by mole »

PaulM

Re: What's this then? One off?

Post by PaulM »

It appears to be a Seabat.

Paul
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi, The Seabat does not have a Cockpit, there is a picture of a Seabat on my website www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk, it is a sailing surfboard, it is 11 feet long. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
PaulM

Post by PaulM »

Sorry, meant Beachcomber:
http://www.cvrda.org/dinghydata/Beachcomber.htm

Only those two had that pointed bow shape in ply, I think, though the Sunfish is similar.

Paul M
Neil Roscoe

Post by Neil Roscoe »

Hi

I bought this boat of ebay and it is not any of the suggested types. The seller built the boat in 1969/70 and I think he said he built it from plans so, as a type it should hopefully be identifiable. I have tried to attached a file of photos of the boat after a full strip and repaint/varnish and of its first sail, pos its first sail under sail ever as the seller never made a rig for it but did have the lateen sail made but unfortunaetly I do not know how It may have originaly been designed for a different type of rig as it has both shroud and forstay points fitted The sail is sleeved both for the gaf and boom.

The boats spec is
lenght 11ft 6
beam 3ft 8
depth at
bow 9''
mast 11''
cockpit 8.5''
transom 5''

boom 13ft
gaf 16ft

If someone could tell me how to attach photos that would be helpfull

It would be good to know what it is but after checking many web sites I have drawn a blank so over to you sleuths out there

Cheers
Neil
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Neil, The Lateen rigged Beachcomber can be fitted with a Jib, I also think the Seabat and Sailskiff could also have a Jib, their are photos of these dinghies on my website (at bottom of page), all three dinghies are made from wood or GRP or composite.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You can post tiny photos direct onto the site (smaller than 100kb) or you can link to a photo hosting site. Some people seem to be able to post lots of big pics (via a photo site?) but I'm lost as to how...
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Putting the photos on a free hosting site such as Flickr, Photobucket or Picasa and then posting the links is favourite as it doesn't bash our bandwidth.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Neil Roscoe

Post by Neil Roscoe »

I,ve got a lot of photos on Picasa and a few on Flickr but don't know how to link, any ideas
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Neil Roscoe wrote:I,ve got a lot of photos on Picasa and a few on Flickr but don't know how to link, any ideas
With most of these sites, all you do is bring up the picture you want to show. I assume you are familiar with copy and paste proceedure.

Copy the URL Address of your photo, (it is the address at the top of the page, including the http://www bit.)

Paste it into your posting

It will now be in your post.

So, If I want to show a picture from my Photobucket files:-

I open the picture, I can either Copy the Url from the top of the page, OR I can Rt Click on the selected picture and select "Properties" from the drop down list. The URL address will be displayed in the window that opens. Copy that URL and paste it onto your posting.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... ge0049.jpg

(It is possible you may have to fiddle a bit with the security settings in your account to make pictures "Viewable to the public" or some similar process)

Look forward to seeing yours!
Michael Brigg
Neil Roscoe

Post by Neil Roscoe »

Since these photos were taken on its first sail I have made a few changes. As there was very little space in the cockpit to tack with it set as centre main and as the loads were very light it has now been changed to transom sheeted. As I am happy with the position of the fittings the deck has now been rubbed down and the final 3 coats of varnish applied.
It was a niece force 2 and having spent a lot of time working out the positon of the gooseneck on the boom it was a relief that the boat sailed very well with no weather or lee helm. Due to its very low freeboard it was a very wet ride, so glad I fitted a self bailer. I have also gone to 2 toestraps as a single centre one did not allow a good hiking position

Neil
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Neil, nice job, the dinghy is not a Beachcomber, it is either a Sailskiff or a Seabat. Rob.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looks great. Not as Seabat, as far as I can tell, but can't do a positive ID.

The sail looks HUGE compared to the hull - not surprised she is wet! Must be fun.
Rupert
Neil Roscoe

Post by Neil Roscoe »

It's neither a Seabat or Sailskiff, wrong type of bow and yes the sail is huge, its bigger than a Sailfish on a smaller hull so it should go well in a breeze though it will be bit of a handfull.

Would this boat meet the criteria of a CVRDA dinghy as I do not know the design or date of design but it was before 1969 and was built before the 1985 cut off point?

Neil