Roadford Event

Chat about CVRDA events
alan williams

Roadford Event

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Just a reminder that Roadford does not have Bar so please bring liquid refreshment. Also on Saturday evening we are once again hoping to get some radio controlled model yachts for you to play with (like last year),. If you have a radio controlled sailing boat then please bring it along.
Regards Al
alan williams

Re: Roadford Event Forgot Free BBQ on Saturday Evening

Post by alan williams »

Hi
I forgot to mention FREE BBQ on Saturday Evening bring a bottle to drink.
Cheers Al
PeterV

Re: Roadford Event

Post by PeterV »

Alan, planning to come with Django.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Peter
At the present time 12 Finns maybe 14 if people are back from yacht deliveries.
See you on the 8th.
Regards Alan
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Forecast for Roadford for week end is 18-20C winds between 8 - 14 mph. Perfect.
Al
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Thank you Alan for all your work and that of the other guys at Roadford to make such a great event.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
Once again the Finns dominated the prizes. I think that next year I will have the Finns as a seperate series within the CVRDA series with the Finns only eligible only for the Finn Prizes. So that they do n't take all the prizes. How do you as CVRDA sailors and Finn sailors feel about this or should we still have a combined series?
Once again may I thank you all for coming and I hope that you all arrived home safely.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well, if the event is combined with the Classic Finn event, then certainly leave them all in the results.

To be honest, if the Finns are the best boats/helms to turn up, then they should expect to win the whole CVRDA event. Doesn't seem a reason to separate the results.

In my books, it should just be a reason to encourage a few more boats to come and knock them out of the results.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well, if the event is combined with the Classic Finn event, then certainly leave them all in the results.

To be honest, if the Finns are the best boats/helms to turn up, then they should expect to win the whole CVRDA event. Doesn't seem a reason to separate the results.

In my books, it should just be a reason to encourage a few more boats to come and knock them out of the results.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Really must plan things better next year so I can give them a run for their money in Firefly or Minisail.

Must have been perfect sailing conditions for you, if it was anything like Whitefriars. All we didn't get was much sunshine.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Oh, we got a fair amount of sunshine too.....

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
Phelps Scull
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

As Rupert knows the Finns aren't automatic winners. But when it's blowing and we're able to not only cope with the conditions but also drive our boats hard then it's almost inevitable we'll win. It's also possibly the case that our boats are the best 'race prepared' as the 4 leading Finns are all capable, and used, to racing hard on the sea. Rupert's Firefly is possibly the only other competing CVRDA boat in similar condition, so it's not surprising that we're always close, but I think Rupert's won every time against me.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The Finn handicap certainly isn't a kind one - I'd say all things being equal, it is a hard boat to win in. However, it responds well to hard work, from what I've seen, and skilled helms in well prepared boats is a hard combo to beat!

I hope we can use Peter's experiences with his Finn in race mode V's Classic mode to give us a better idea of what the speed differences are.
Rupert
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

This might need to be moved to a different area as we're going a bit off topic.....
I sail Django with 3 different rigs.
A. The wooden Bruder mast and a very old matching sail. With this rig the boat is very uncompetitive against other Finns, due to a significant lack of speed upwind. This is probably more due to the sail than the mast but no other sails match the mast. Hence this rig is only used for light wind CVRDA events. However of there's a lot of reaching and little beating involved this can be pretty fast.
B. the alloy mast with matching sails. This is the rig used for windier CVRDA events and classic Finn events.
C. A round carbon mast and Mylar sail. This is the rig I used for the Finn nationals last year, but the mast bend of the early carbon masts replicated the alloy masts. I donT believe this rig is very different in speed from B, and I tested both against a modern Finn fleet. I thought about getting a modern carbon mast and sail but since the hull is very different from a modern Finn this seemed pointless which is why I bought a modern Finn and sold this rig.

As far as the boat is concerned I've tried not to totally modernise it so I use original or period cleats for instance. The tufnol mainsheet cleats need regular maintenance to hold. Generally the boat attempts to be in the same trim as the Fairey I had in 1976, with the controls adaptable to all the rigs. Therefore there isn't really a difference between race and classic mode unless I use the wooden mast.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Pat

Post by Pat »

And remember for cvrda events we give +2 for the wooden mast!
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)