Merlin Rocket Wanted

Post your requirements here
podmeister

Merlin Rocket Wanted

Post by podmeister »

Hi there

After not owning a Merlin for far too long, and never really getting to sail it properly or even knowing what type of Merlin it was., I have decided I want to take the plunge back in... but with the intent of working on the boat and trying to race it relatively competitively at club level.

I'm looking to get one of the following: NSM1, NSM2 or a smokers satisfaction if I can't find either of the others.

Ideally I would like a wood hull as I want something to work on initially and over winter months. I'm based in York. Hopefully the boat will have a combo trailer included so I can collect easily.

Price range is anywhere up to £1000 (max ideally prefer something around £750 or less). I've scanned through the used boat section on the MROA website - but some are shockingly out of date. I've fired a couple of emails out to some of the adverts, but I'm waiting to here back.

I don't mind putting the back work in to bring a boat back from a boat yard disaster - but I am inexperienced at boat restorations - so ideally it wouldn't be a complete rebuild (maybe that's the next one :D ).

Hopefully someone knows of just the one for me.

Thanks
Piers
RDP

Re: Merlin Rocket Wanted

Post by RDP »

I was in your position last year. NSM 2s proved very difficult to find and the Smokers, whilst numerous in their day, were few and far between in anything like good order. In the end I settled for a Rowsell / Omega NSM1. I paid £500 for mine and had it on the water for little more. Not pristine but perfectly usable and great fun. Good luck with your search.
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Congrats on finding a boat. Where did you find it in the end?
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

There is an NSM 2 on Y&Y at the moment.
Rupert
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

To let you all know, I'm now the proud owner of 3365 Delboy a wooden NSM2

Thank you for the replies and input.

Piers