Thank you Bowmoor

Chat about CVRDA events
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Great turnout, good weather, excellent event...Many thanks! And thank you Roger for the ride. What a Planker!
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

and.....and....

who won?

how much wind was there?

What boats turned out?

tell use more!!!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

And who doing writeup? There were 15 (16?) boats, but reduced by 1 when Kathryn put her foot through the bottom of ToyBox the Mirror...we are now looking for a new Mirror... The event was very closely fought. The Rollinsons went to the wrong finishing line in the 1st race, letting the Kestrel through to win. I regret I cannot remember the name of the sailor (I sometimes forget mine, too). The 2nd race was started in a little more breeze, allowing the plankers to get ahead, and through use of voodoo on the Rollinson spinnaker, stay there and win on handicap too, thanks to a masterful race plan which involved letting the wind die off after we finished!
Therefore the overall results were 1st Kestrel, 2nd Peggie, 3rd Hornet.
Hopefully others will be able put more colour on things!
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Those at the front of the first race had a big advantage for the second one - they were at the front of the lunch queue!
The rest of us spent over half an hour queueing, then had to bolt our lunch in about ten minutes and try to make the already delayed start in very little wind (other thn that caused by indigestion!). Many of us failed and were late starters.

Next time can something be better orgnised.
I sugest we pre-order and pay for lunch before the first race for a set time eg 12:45p.m. and thus it can be prepared and salads plated up whilst we race and we will have enough time to eat it in a relaxed fashion.
Also chips, although nice, are very time consuming to prepare. If they are to stay on the menu I suggest someone extra be organised to do nothing but fry chips.
Having the third person to serve tea, coffee and sweets also helped speed the queue but I can see why Bowmoor members said they brought their own food.

Other than that it was a really enjoyable event. We tried the interesting challenge of forcing a Merlin kite into a tiny pipe on each drop and had some fun (being basically a wooden skiff) on three sail reaches with the RS and Laser skiffs.

Look forward t more wind next year for the new lake.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

Yes, Many thanks to all at Bowmoor for such a good day on sunday, Great to see so many people joining in.
Ah! so someone was practicing voodoo were they? As I type I am sticking pins into wax dolls as you must have caused the wind to die just after you had finished leaving the tailenders with nothing. I also hold you responsible the fixing for the centreboard winch in Iska pulling out. ( and thank you Ed for saying it was a bit dodgy...on saturday night!!) So that's a mast through the deck on 507, and an Albacore to restore over the winter as well now.
By the way who else thought Keith was a bit of a whimp not to sail his 'new' old peggie?? Now you might not have had time to light your pipe sailing that one.

Thanks too, David, for orgaininzing the saturday night dinner. it was a great time and it was good to all meet up.
Chris
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Any nice pictures of te sailing, masts through the deck, centreboard winches breaking etc (presumably the audio on a video is not playable!!!) Sounds like you all had a good time - I hope to get there next year for a couple of events - if not I could volunteer for chip frying and sell dolls and pins as a sideline........
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Thanks Bowmoor great event with a race officer starting on time. Those that started on time had no problems with catering. what a choice of menu from egg and chips through to fresh trout salad and even a curry. I would like to thank everyone involved in running a great meeting. As an organiser of another event I now how difficult they are to put on. With out volunteers all clubs would fail so thank you all. As someone who is not particulary fond of pond sailing the biggest compliment I can pay would be really enjoyed it, please do another one.
Cheers Al Williams Finn
david r

Post by david r »

Thanks for all the compliments - we are aware of the problems with queues for lunch - but you either have a large choice of food and wait a bit longer- or less choice and get served quicker - a subject we have discussed many times - and the current kitchen staff are shall I say set in their ways !!!

Report done & sent to Y & Y, Daily Sail + ED/STU at cvrda

Thank you to all those who turned up - a fantastic turnout - hope to see you all again next year - do you want it in September when you could camp at waters edge & have the Saturday night meal in the clubhouse or frostbite in November as this year ?

We are organising our 2005 programme now so need answer soon please Rupert

David Rollinson
chris

Post by chris »

Alan, I think the point is the other way round. Several of us didn't have time to finish the lunch and get to the start line. I was at least three minutes late over the line and there were two or three other boats just ahead that didn't have a chance to get there either. In effect we were excluded from the last race and the whole point of the day was to race. I know it did marr the enjoyment of a few from what was otherwise a great day.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

In defence of the race officer, the start time had been pushed back to 2 pm and he had clearly said when it was going to be. Maybe they should have gone round and shouted, but the onus surely has to be on the competitor to get to the start in time?
Rupert
Mark

Post by Mark »

In my case, just on time and hungry....But it was still a good day....thanks Bowmoor
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
Alan Price

Post by Alan Price »

A great day out. Thank you all. I was most impressed with the Race Officers transport to the club - a 1968 Hillman Minx. Very fitting.
As to the lunch,perhaps a separate queue for us who can cope on just caffeine and suger(tea and cake/chocolate) for extented periods may have speeded things up.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Garry,l bearing in mind how far away you live I am sure we could find a boat down here for you, but I for one would love to see your Merlin 'in the flesh'
RC Laser 898
Mirror 67423 Dawn Run
British Moth730 Moneybox
http://karencollyer.net
roger

Post by roger »

David and Bowmoor,
Can I add my thanks to you all at Bowmoor for the dinner and helping us to remember what we ordered and for the event. I know I was one of the first in but did potter about before looking for food and as Rupert said the OOD did put the start back by 1/2 an hour and the wind died before the end of race 2 so without losing light or wind he couldnt put it back any further.
Yes the Galley was slow but where else have we been offered such a varied and tasty menu. Well done to the Galley. We all have something to live up to now.
I think November is a nice time to round off/start the new season and would like to see it continue.
Great day out and not only because I won a race.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
keithr

Post by keithr »

Having only just recovered from weekend travels, I agree a great day and good to see how close the fleet was after handicaps worked out even though we was robbed!!!!.

If I had sailed the new old peggy I would have needed a stove on board to start the drying out process and could have lit the pipe that way.

Again well done David and Sarah for an enjoyable meet, 2005 Sept is fine for me.

Keith R(Puffer)
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird