Blithfield event

Chat about CVRDA events
chris

Blithfield event

Post by chris »

We're looking forward to coming to Blithfield but would like to know if we can camp overnight in a motorhome.
Thanks
chris

Re: Blithfield event

Post by chris »

I gather camping is OK but can we arrive Friday evening?
Who else is going? This is a new venue for the CVRDA to be invited to a different neck of the woods so I hope local turnout is good. We'll be on the way to Ullswater for the following week so it makes a good venue en route.
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I'm planning on going but may only be there for the Saturday.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'll be there but will be working. So, about the only thing I can promise is that if you do the wrong thing, say the wrong thing or are just in the wrong place at the wrong time I'll promise to record it in picture and text - libel laws don't apply at Classic events!!

D
David H
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

I'm still thinking of coming for the weekend sailing my I14 single handed as previously discussed and hoping to arrive to deposit my boat and put the mast up on the Friday afternoon towards teatime - Will that be OK?

I'll be bringing my disabled wife who won't be sailing and we will not require food on the Saturday evening.
My arrival is 90% likely but my wife is waiting for a call for an operation so we haven't booked anywhere to stay yet.

What food / snacks are likely to be available at lunchtimes or should we bring our own snacks in?

Chris Barker
I14 No 378
Pat

Post by Pat »

I've just spoken to Luke who is having trouble logging onto the forum but wants to know who is coming for catering etc....
Friday night camping is OK but we may need to co-ordinate and phone for access.
Also need to know who is going to want food on Saturday night which may be a club barbeque.
Please post here.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

Yes please to any food, pubbing or whatever Saturday.
X2
Chris and Lois
SoggyBadger

Post by SoggyBadger »

I've already booked. Won't be there on Saturday evening though as I've got other commitments. If you're looking for pubs there are 5 in Abbotts Bromley, which is less than a mile away.
Best wishes

SB
chrismartin3583

Post by chrismartin3583 »

There is a private function on in the clubhouse Friday night. While access to camp and things like toilets shouldn't be an issue the bar and lounge will not be available unfortunately. As said before there are plenty of pubs in Abotts Bromley which is about 15 mins walk away.

The other point to note is that the nearest cash point is in Rugeley which is a 20 minute drive away.
chrismartin3583

Also as PRO for the weekend i'd like some pointers on what sort of courses you like and things like race length.

I take it that you use mass starts (10/5/off for period authenticity?) and work out the results afterwards on elapsed time?

The second race on sunday will be alongside club racing so it will be usefull to know whether to start you before or after the club start.

chris

Post by chris »

It's really up to you to run the event as you think best. Mostly we do 541go starts. To some extent the range of boats will determine courses etc. even including average laps if there is a wide range of performance, so going through the 'gate' would be necessary. Pat usually brings her laptop which has the handicaps already there for the results as long as elapsed times are recorded. Since some boats are delicate very tight start lines are no popular as we like to avoid contact!
Hopefully if you have some of the more elderly boats in your dinghy park they will come out to play. Encouraging local support is partly what it is all about. You don't have to be a paid up member to join in so every one with a qualifying boat is very welcome. It may be worth contacting local clubs too.
Hope that helps a little.
Chris
chris

Post by chris »

Race length: maybe about 1 hour
chrismartin3583

No problem with any of that.

There may be quite a few Laser EPSs at the event and I may give them a separate start if it looks like it might be busy.

Unless there is an odd wind direction there are no plans for back to back races as this is not usually necessary.

Look forward to seeing everyone
Pat

Post by Pat »

Hi Chris M, yes I'll have my laptop with sailwave for results so we just need elapsed times and laps. We'll probably be better going after the club starts unless they are particularly slow boats so they don't have to sail through us.
Our fastest boats will probably be equivalent to PY 1070 ish if that helps.
We'll be arriving on Friday night too. I grew up in Stone so it's a visit to familiar territory.
Please encourage the members with older or odder boats to join in. Lost classes are anything designed and built before 1985 which doesn't have a class association so we welcome the odd ones out as well as the familiar classes.
We tend to prefer to keep things straightforward and relaxed as it's about getting the old boats out sailing and enjoying sailing them rather than fighting for fancy prizes.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chrismartin3583

Hi Pat, that follows the thinking I had in mind.

Cheers

Chris