Roadford Event

Chat about CVRDA events
davidh

Re: Roadford Event

Post by davidh »

I'll have to be careful when I do my next slew of reports. The way things are shaping up, I'll certainly be doing a lot of media work at Bosham and possibly at Wraysbury. Then there is Wroxham (not sure about that one) and Hunts, when I'll see what Nessa wants in the way of help with the media side of things.

However good the reporting may be, it can only really reflect though what is happening out on the water. Detailed coverage of a poorly attended/organised event ends up simply highlighting the shortfalls (for whatever reason); only a few years or so ago, a range of early 'skiff' SMODs - though they were far from being true skiffs despite having an impressive Howlett designed hullform, was still having their 'europeans' at Garda. The reports, when written and supported with photographs ought to have been good publicity but there were signs that the opposite was happening......... a sub 10 boat fleet of brits doesn't make a 'Europeans'.

This may look like a digression from the topic, but is it not! Like it or not, the classic scene is developing and the reporting/media coverage can and will impact on the direction this is taking. Taking a step back, things are still currently too diverse and uncoordinated to really attract the 'mass media'. However, as more and more classes look beyond the small group of elite sailors who comprise the main open meeting circuit and start thinking of creating their own classic wing, that situation will change.

These above points ought to help answer Ed's $64,000 point on getting more people sailing. Until now, growth has been pretty organic but somewhere out there is a 'tipping point' that will see more, bigger events that will be (like the big winter handicap events) a natural attraction.

D
David H
JB9

Post by JB9 »

Ronny, it may be that Chris Wood who came to BBSC last year in his Jollyboat may need a crew. I think he posts on here from time to time. If not I would think we could sort out a sail in something.

David, I read your comments with interest. As I now have an interest in FDs I invited them along to the CVRDA Open at BB. I was told no thank you, politely. They do not wish to risk splitting the fleet.
Harrier 25
505 7163
davidh

Post by davidh »

Trevor,

I tried to engage with the FDs a while back ( I was working on an article detailing them) but they didn't want to really have any links with the 'classic' scene. It is sad as the UK had such a rich heritage in FD sailing.....now most of the 2nd hand boats have gone out to Europe.

It's an interesting exercise to position the FD in the progression of Olympic sailing - from being sailed in a range of metre boats (5.5m, 6m and others) to the situation today where there is not a single keelboat in the Olympics..........

In many ways the FD was the perfect Olympic dinghy (along with the Finn). Anyone who has sailed one competitively knows just how hard you have to work, both physically but also mentally. In addition to the usual demands of sailboat racing, there is the incredible technical nature of the boat. No wonder they are still hugely popular out in Europe!

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Roadford photos now on the main website gallery.

Neil & Ed I've pm'd you where to find the originals for posting to Jollyboat and Classic Finn sites.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)