'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
And a big shed to keep them in...
jpa_wfsc

Re: Prototype Flying Fifteen

Post by jpa_wfsc »

How on earth would one proove that this is 'My Dainty Duck' and if you did, that £1000 for a total restoration case was a sensible price? If this is my dainty duck then should probably be in the care of some public body?
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

How to prove or disprove whether this is or isn't 'My Dainty Duck' is a very good point. I was curious, so I emailed the man asking for more details on the provenance of the boat. I await his reply...

If this is genuine, and can be proved to be so, then I think the value is less of an issue. She is worth whatever someone is prepared to pay for a unique piece of history, and I imagine the right person would pay the asking price for her. Not me though!
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Gentleman Jim' Moth GBR3936
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

Don't think there's a problem with the provenance as the boat is known on the Uffa Fox Facebook group (run by Michael Dixon). I won't repeat the comments about Dainty Duck from the Uffa Fox group, but I would recommend joining it - https://www.facebook.com/groups/126188824142781/
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

From the chap selling the boat:

"Having completed the second F15 "My Dear Ah", Uffa Fox sold "My Dainty Duck" to his friend who, with his growing family, sailed her at Cowes for about 20 years. MDD lay the next 40years upside down, under a cover in his garden at Cowes. Elderly by that time, the owner then moved to live with his daughter and the house was sold. The new owner of the house, a local businessman, having also become the owner of the boat, gave her to his friend to restore but MDD lay for the next 2 yrs open to the weather on his driveway. She was listed on ebay and bought by myself some years ago and brought to Wales. I bought the boat as possibly the first F15 but she did not come with a provenance. I have done the research and have written confirmation from some sufficiently eminent people that she is genuinely the prototype. Given that there was no time in her history when her whereabouts was uncertain and her provenance is incontrovertible she has to be the original F15. There is today another "My Dainty Duck" which in the words of a representative of Uffa Fox Ltd. has been restored in a modernish way and is not the first F15. If you search for "My Dainty Duck" you may come across this pretender for the genuine vessel has been out of circulation for most of her existence although she is registered with the National Maritime Museum."
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Gentleman Jim' Moth GBR3936
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
keithr

Post by keithr »

I have seen this boat as I bought ff204 from him.

He has a barn full of treasures which he gave me a tour round.

Would be a brave restoration but I see no reason to doubt the provenance.

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird