Harrier lost class

an area to discuss dinghy developments
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi,

I have had great fun sailing a Harrier for the past few years. This is a very beamy single hander shaped like a MR. Being on the "muscular" side, I find that it carries weight well and apart from my limited sailing ability, the only problem I can find with it is that when I capsize it, it takes on an enormous amount of water that takes about an hour to bail.

I am pleased to see that the CVRDA is interested in these lost classes. Does the harrier qualify me for membership or do I need to find something older/stranger?

Best Regards,

Nigel
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

You would be very welcome with the Harrier! There is a fleet of them at Whitby, still, where they have put a bigger rig on them. David Henshall wrote about them in the June issue of Dinghy Sailing Mag, which could be worth a read. I sailed on a few years ago, and did find I was on the small side, and it was easy to scoop water if she wasn't flat. I look forward to seeing you and your Harrier at an event soon!
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nigel,

Firstly, thanks to Rupert for the plug, you'd be surprised at how much feedback that there has been from people interested in the Harrier.

As Rupert said, Whitby is the place, they have a fleet there and some very keen folks who watch the ads and will travel (even down here to the South Coast) to collect old boats. These they rennovate (the transoms go manky on a lot of the early Harriers) and then put a Phantom rig on it and call it a Harrier +. The increase in sail area makes up for any potential weakness the boat may have shown in the light airs, by all accounts it makes the harrier quite a boat.

It's an interesting notion, the mid range single hander market could be seen as 'wide open' right now. The Laser EPS has been and gone (a CVRDA candidate for sure there in years to come) and the RS 300 may join it. Topper are ceasing production of the Blaze (though other builders may step in there), the Phantom is a boat for the true lardies and the Phantom derviatives - the Solution and the Heatwave (the Heatwave incidentally being from Keith Callaghan, the Harrier's designer) have yet to make an impact. Try the September Dinghy Sailing Mag for more on this debate!!!!

Ooops, I digress! I'd have thought that a standard Harrier would make a very neat CVRDA boat indeed bearing in mind some of the locations used for events. Make sure you have control over the rig, get decent foils, sail it upright and you're be well placed to embarass the Finns even with their HUGELY generous handicap (wait till the Unit hits the water on 1074!!!)

Where do you sail Nigel - are you anywhere south at all?

Shout if you want more details - I've loads on the original Harrier!

Good luck
D
David H
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi Rupert,

Yes. I have corresponded with the fleet at Whitby and may be going up to Newcastle to sail with them in November. They have fitted fancy new Phantom rigs to them. This seemed to be a bit excessive so I procured a (very old) Phantom mast (IYE), boom and sail for £20 via ebay so I will have a choice of rig when I have finished messing about with it. I have just made a clamping gooseneck and am sorting out the boom controls next.

Look forward to seeing you at the next event.

Best Regards,

Nigel
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi David,

Thanks, I would be very interested in anything you have on the Harrier. I have collected some data - magazine reviews from KC's website and a couple of old books (Dinghy Recognition by A. R> Burrett and Boat World Guide No.1).

I sail at Shirehampton SC in Bristol - bottom reaches of the Avon, so it is very tidal and can be "interesting". It is only a small club but good fun.

Best Regards,

Nigel
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Ah.....Shirehampton SC...

that brings back memories

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

ed,

me too (memories of shirehampton) but mine are SCARY!!

Way back when in the late 60's and early 70's I spent more time than is good for one at the BT Training School there at Wyelands. Coming from the pleasures of a life on the Hamble Riverbank Shirehampton and Avonmouth were nasty rough places, indeed, my first night in dig's (at the tender age of 16) was marked by the stabbing of a lascar seaman on the front doorstep.

But ahhhh... the pleasures of Penpole Woods, the local girls (who I feel gave their name to a stiff brush used in cleaning boats) and the aweful pub on the open air litter bin known as the 'green'.

Didn't think that there was a sailing club there - after all, Portishead is bad enough (did the term 'tidal' originate there?) - why would anyone want to make life even harder????????????

But good luck sailing the Harrier there, Baltic Wharf next spring must be a date in your diary!

D
David H
pegasus

Post by pegasus »

If you want to sail against phantoms you should go to suttun bingham (sorry about spelling) they have the biggest class of phatoms in the country not only platci fanstics but real ones too! unfortuatly the lake is quite fussy about who sails what and if its been moddified but the have a great race centre possible a good place for future events. as its just south of street.
Pegasus 166(The Darkside) SOLD
Cherub 2646 Madge
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi,

Lascar Seaman? I didn't know they existed outside ropey old Sherlock Holmes films.

The sailing club is opposite the Lamplighters pub. Pop in if you are passing (but check the website or email for sailing times. We have a 2 hour window up to high tide so it is different every week. Anyone that competed in the Pill race last weekend will probably have turned at the club buoy.

Best Regards

Nigel
JimC

Post by JimC »

Essential mod with a Harrier is to put on a longer rudder blade. The standard one is pathetically short!
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim,

Spot on advice there!!! A Contender one works well and should slot straight into the old style Rondar Stocks that many Harriers were equipped with.

BUT - a huge caveat! First check your transom as this really can be a weak spot (like...weak!).

The alternative would be for the transom to rotate around the rudder rather than the other way about!!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I lived opposite Shirehampton in Pill when doing up boats for Andrew Thornhill. I sailed at Bristol Avon, as the idea of washing all that mud off didn't appeal!
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davidh</i>
BUT - a huge caveat! First check your transom as this really can be a weak spot (like...weak!).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mine went to Whitby, c/w foam sandwich rudder stock and transom...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thanks guys for the advice. I had not noticed anything amiss at the back but I will check it out. I was planning to do something with the rudder but had not yet decided what. It looks like a bit of thin old plank so I was thinking about something longer and shaplier to give it more control when heeled.

The mud has its advantages. We apparently had some amateur mud wrestlers visit the slip last week to make a home video. One of the guys was there and charged them a £10 launching fee.

Best Regards,

Nigel
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hi guys,

maiden voyage this evening with Phantom rig fitted. It worked really well in relatively light airs - previously a seakness for the Harrier. A bit more setting up and it will be excellent for upsetting modern boats. It even looks the part with the original rig and sail (Ratsey & Lapthorne) from Phantom 18.

See you at an event soon.

Best Regards,

Nigel