Carbon Mast

Post your requirements here
simonmw

Carbon Mast

Post by simonmw »

I'm looking for a carbon mast-

For International Moth GBR3848 which I have recently acquired, the boat came with a very old, non-tapered aluminium stick which weighs about a ton.

Basically something ideally from another dinghy which is damaged or broken close to one end, for example I recently missed a carbon Phantom mast which had the top 18" broken off where the boat had been capsized and the masthead stuck in the mud- I've also seen a Moth with an RS600 rig which had been broken at the gooseneck.

Even a relatively inexpensive 100% carbon windsurfer mast, so I could epoxy the two halves together and glue a track on the back- I am a professional rigger so modifying and fettling something isn't a problem, anything considered!

Tiger moth needs a new jib this winter, and 3848 will need a new sail as well, both of which I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay proper money for... so anything I can save on the Moth mast would be a great help! If anyone has anything or knows of anything I would be very grateful.
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Gentleman Jim' Moth GBR3936
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
And a big shed to keep them in...
Obscured by clouds

Re: Carbon Mast

Post by Obscured by clouds »

If you are on FB you could go here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dinghies/

I've seen a couple of broken carbon masts come up over the last couple of months. You could also put up a 'wanted' post
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Why not give Jacko (Alan Jackson at Chipstow) a bell - should have plenty of carbon bits - 01268 710111.
Mcglashon

Post by Mcglashon »

I have a carbon mast for a moth.I believe it to be windsurfer mast conversion.Track fitted and various modifications! If your interested call me on 01642297951
Mcglashon

Post by Mcglashon »

Morning Simon.Thanks for your message re mast.I assumed you werent interested and the mast has gone to Newcastle .Sorry about that..I live in Middlesbrough and it would have been a bit of a trek!
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

simonmw wrote:I'm looking for a carbon mast-

Even a relatively inexpensive 100% carbon windsurfer mast, so I could epoxy the two halves together and glue a track on the back- I am a professional rigger so modifying and fettling something isn't a problem, anything considered!

You might consider having a word with someone here...

http://www.suttonblades.co.uk/

Rowing oars are @ 11-12 feet long, and Sculls are rather narrower and @ 8-9feet long. Both have @ 1/3rd inboard untapered part and then @2/3 tapered outboard end. Quite close to the dimensions of a windsurfer mast. These days most racing oars and sculls are made from carbon fibre material.

I visited Suttons last year to pick up some Heat shrink Collar material, and noticed a pile of old "broken" blades lying in a corner. This is often where the blade has snapped off, the looms are intact... Mr Sutton said he had no use for them and would give them away if someone was happy to dump them for him.

If you are able to fabricate bits together, perhaps a combination of old oars and sculls might be an economic answer. You could maybe get up to 20feet with an oar and a scull, more perhaps if you use two oars and a scull.
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I've got various bits oif a broken rs800 mast, plus a longer section which came with a previous moth to be used as a bowsprit. I suspect it was once a windsurf mast. You'd need to be very good to be able to stick them back together, but if you want lengths etc let me know.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

The idea of bits of oar is an interesting one, thanks for the heads up! I will have a head-scratch...

Nessa, I would be very interested to know dimensions of what you have left of the RS800 rig, where is it broken? I would be very tempted to update Tigermoth with a carbon stick as well, so am open to whatever is available, and enjoy a project!

Thanks, Simon.
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender
And a big shed to keep them in...
JimC

Post by JimC »

I think it would be hard to get a decent carbon stock from bots of oars. Launching trolley components OTOH...
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi

I have a carbon moth mast made by Roger Angel if that's of any interest.

ALAN
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Alan,
I may well be interested in your Angell mast for my Axeman 2. What condition is it in and how much would you want for it?
I assume that it has a luff groove for a boltrope sail and that there is a hole for the boom pin just above the mast base?
If so it should work with the rest of the setup I have for the boat.

Cheers and welcome to the CVRDA Moth group

Ian M
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi Ian
It's very strong stiff and practically unused. I don't know what it's worth more importantly who owns it. It was loaned to me in 2007 when mine broke downwind at Guarda. I have posted in the Moth Class and if there is no response will sell for say £300?
Cheers Alan
simonmw

Post by simonmw »

Hi Alan,

I did respond to your email regarding this mast- if you didn't get my reply it possibly could have gone to your spam folder?

My email address is info@responserigging.com

Where is the mast currently located?

Thanks,
Simon.
Current custodian of-
Micro 18
Tiger Moth
'Dragon' Moth GBR3848
Merlin Rocket 3521
Buell XB12R Firebolt
Landrover 110 Defender