ok, solo, thoughts please

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nessa

ok, solo, thoughts please

Post by Nessa »

potential cvrda eligible single handers for me:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281171015753? ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331023849481? ... 1423.l2649

I'm not asking which boat would suit me best, I'm asking for a view on which boat looks more worthwhile as a project.

Thanks
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Re: ok, solo, thoughts please

Post by Rupert »

The OK. Old glass Solos are really the pits.
Rupert
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

Rupert wrote:The OK. Old glass Solos are really the pits.
Harsh but sadly, in some cases, true.
I had a grp Solo of that era and most of the important stiffeners, in the floor and centreboard case, had suffered from water ingress rotting the wood stiffeners.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

OK I reckon. that's what I'd have a go at
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Yes I would tend to go with the OK too although this particular example is unusual having a wooden hull and fibreglass deck, the complete opposite of most "composite" hulls.

Rgds

Ian
JimC

Post by JimC »

Can one say "neither". I wouldn't touch an old polyester/csm Solo for much the same reasons as evrryone else, but the wood hull/glass deck is kust plain weird
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I agree with everyone else.

Wouldn't trust the Solo.....as for the OK, the glass deck is without doubt weird....but then, what's wrong with weird....this is the CVRDA after all.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

Rupert wrote:The OK. Old glass Solos are really the pits.
Thank you Rupert, I now have a legitimate excuse for sailing so slowly I can't catch Amy Barlow's Topper :D
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

Nessa, have your checked the quoted sail number of this OK on the boat data base on http://www.okdinghy.co.uk ?.
This strange as it's "grp throughout " on the data base. Could be cheap. On the other hand,there are plenty of the all grp Seamark Nunn built boats still around and many in sound condition. They never seem to fetch much money.They wo'nt win opens but will give you all the thrills and spills of OK sailing for little outlay and, of course, no varnishing/painting. But if you've set your heart on a "project", then a woody OK is the obvious choice.
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Actually I want something more or less ready to sail. I've had enough of projects for now - I want to get my queue down before I take on anything else. I'm watching this (below) on ebay and wondering what she would do to me if I bought it. I'm also working hard on Aggie and wondering if I can get a regular crew so I don't have to get a single hander after all:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281167368207? ... 1423.l2649
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Looks alright in the pics, doesn't it? Almost all old GRP boats are going to be over weight and a little soft, but if you accept this, I'm sure that this boat would be lots of fun.

My apologies to any owners of old GRP Solos out there, by the way. Maybe I was a little blunt. However, the one I owned, and all the ones I have ever seen, dating from the 70's and early 80's, have managed the amazing combo of being not only well over weight, but also floppy as hell. Oh, dear, I'm not making this any better, am I? On the other hand, I have seen some beautiful, stiff, light, old wooden Solos, which are a delight to sail.
Rupert
JimC

Post by JimC »

The big problem I've always come across with old glass Solos, and all old glass boats suffer this to a certain extent, is leaking buoyancy tank seams.When you think about it the joint between tank and floor has to cope with all the movement going round on the floor whilst being attached to a vertical tank side which has near enough no give at all vertically. So its little doubt they leak. That being the case, if I were buying an old glass boat for a ready to sail I'd insist on a capsize buoyancy test before purchase and look very hard at those seams... And yes, I'd say old glass Solos, especially old glass Holt Solos, are positively dreadful for seam integrity there...