earliest rocket on ebay

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
chris

Post by chris »

It had been listed as no 859. But I asked for the hull number which 252.
It's one of the very first Rockets and possibly the earliest still around. It MUST go to a good home! Unfortunately it's near Stranraer otherwise divorce could be imminent.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Merlin-Rocket-Num ... dZViewItem
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

gosh yes very nice.

strange to call in 'Merlin' though....just to confuse I guess!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi Guys
Rocket number 88 was at Hornsea Mere Humberside three years ago when I was up there. I took some pictures which maybe kicking around at home. Boat was in a very bad state some one had tried to glass all the seams and it appeared to be rotting under the glass, they then started to use gaffer tape try keep out the oggin. Cheers Al
chris

Post by chris »

So that would be before the merlin/rocket merger which was 1951. the earliest rocket to the merlin rules was no. 227 Rocketoo.

Yes, glass sheathing is the best way to rot a hull.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

How much did the Rocket design change after the merger? I imagined that it was much the same....and the rules drawn up to include both sets of original rules.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

The 'Rocket' was lighter than merlin' not so fully decked and with a greater sail area. The early merlin did specify the size of cockpit etc. which the rocket didn't match.
I don't know how much the rules were modified first or the rockets were altered to fit the rules.
The merlin rig had been lowered form 25ft to 22'6" in '49, which is when the Rockets started and at some point the area was increased from 100sq ft..
It could be that the first merlin Rocket - Rocketoo - only needed minor alterations to decks etc.

I had also heard that there was the possibilty that the merlins were thinking of merging with the Looe Redwings at that time - dunno if that's right though.

Another Quite Interesting fact about the early merlin rules was that cold moulded ply hulls were to be allowed. In fact that might have been the original intention after the prototypes had established the shape. I didn't happen because there was a tight price limit for a new boat which was based on clinker and no boat builder was prepared to go down the moulded line for that price so to this day MRs are clinker.
chris

Post by chris »

Well done Garry! you know it makes sense.
At least you won't be bored int the long nother winter evenings again.
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

Mmmmm - not so sure now!! Have just returned from having half my brain removed - hope to goodness they have removed the Merlin obsessive section and that the problem will go away!!
davidh

Post by davidh »

CHris,

Not sure about the Looe boats but for a time there was a possibility of a tie up with the Mayfly from South Devon Boat builders.

A lucky escape for both classes I'd guess!

D
David H
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

The old Rocket is still at Hornsea Mere (as of last night), but beyond any hope of salvage. There's a twin diamond wooden mast, although the top couple of feet have been roughly stuck back on with GRP.

John
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

John
I sent you an eamil as regards getting in touch with the owner. It would be good to marry the mast and a decent hull to at least get one boat out of the two. Given what Chris managed to do with the mast on Merlin 36 it might be salvageable.
chris

Post by chris »

this was the state of merlin 36 and it lives to tell the tale.
How bad is 'beyond hope'.
Certainly any wooden merlin mast is wotrth keeping.
http://www.barlowharps.demon.co.uk/mast/mast/t1.jpg
chris

Post by chris »

JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Hmm; I would say it was worse than that. It got blown off it's trolley last year and lots of bits knocked off. But if you're that keen and that skilled, I guess anything can be rebuilt.

If you're interested in the mast (otherwise it's just a bare hull with c/board still in), try contacting Hornsea Mere Marine, Contact details at http://hornseameremarine.com/index.htm

John
Garry R

Post by Garry R »

John

If you happened to be in the area with a digital camera I would love you to take a few photos to compare with mine much of the deck of which I am sure is not original - neither shape or materials. I picked her up yesterday and after getting the trailer welded ( a slight crack we could say) I have her home. Hull looks excellent but will be a re-deck I am sure - delamination and not marine ply by the look of it. Still interested in the mast - will contact Hornsea Mere marine. Thanks Jim