Looking for a Classic I14

Post your requirements here
High Flow

Looking for a Classic I14

Post by High Flow »

Hi there

I'm new here.
I've been looking for a classic International 14 for quite some time now. Had my finger on a number of boats but either someone was quicker or it didn't work out for some other reason.
A restauration project (not too bad condition please) or a sound looking boat would be ok.
there is an add on the uk i14.org site but i contaced the guy and he sold it 18 month ago!
so does anyone know of a boat, or someone wanting to get rid of his? any other hints or tips?
would be great...
also i would like to see if there are some other vintage beauties out there for sale if the I14 thing doesn't work out...
thanks

max
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Looking for a Classic I14

Post by Ed »

Sorry....sold mine!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Well, I bought mine from ebay about a year ago and much to AG's disgust haven't done much work on it recently. Unfortunately for you however, that doesn't mean I'm going to sell it! Ebay is a good place to look; they do come up occasionally, but if I were you I'd pm Nick Clibborne - clibb - who posts on here and who knows many of the circuit racers and who might know if anyone wants to sell. You could also try some of the clubs where the classics are sailed, such as Rickmansworth and Frensham, and a few others. Again clibb will be able to put you in touch with the right people.

In terms of other classics, it's a question of what you want. When I bought Agamemnon I was sold on the looks of the boat, then discovered the history, which was a real bonus. When I bought my current labour of love, the Marauder, I certainly didn't go for looks; the thing is a wreck (as demonstrated elsewhere here) but rather I bought it because as a class they are fast disappearing. It will not turn out to be a good looking boat (lipstick on a pig and all that) but after a huge amount of work it will be a joy to sail.

Good luck with the hunt.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Ancient Geek

Post by Ancient Geek »

Nessa is right I am appalled at her lack of application to project Agamemnon.

"O Lord God, when you give to your servant to endeavour any great matter, grant
us to know that it is not the beginning, but the continuing of the same, until
it be thoroughly finished, which yields the true glory".
(Sir Francis Drake – Cadiz 1587)

However to your problem, I do not know where you are, but the various family boat sheds and yards around the Norfolk Broads and Chichester Harbour are where I would look, you would be amazed at what gets hung in the rafters (Especially in Sept 1939 when minds turned to other things.) even the boat sheds of Thames side clubs, you do not say how old a Fourteen? Ribbed? Cold Moulded? Or even a rareity a boneless one?
Simples.
High Flow

Post by High Flow »

thanks so far,
i guess i really would be surprised to find what's lying around some peoples sheds and back yards.
i've been sailing modern 14s for some years now have seen various classic boats every now and again. I had my eyes on the one in the picture about two years ago.
i'm prepared to pay more for better condition though. shouldn't be worse as it'd be my first boat restoration project.
preferably not cold moulded, rather ribbed.
and again, i'm open to similar looking boats but would definitely prefer a 14 as you know, boats come and go...
i don't even live in england but when i'm there it's in the brighton area. will have to travel anyway but going from club to club isn't in it at the time.

max
Attachments
i14.jpg
(12.61 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
High Flow

Post by High Flow »

Hello there

It has been a while...
i am still without a classic 14!
I do love my '74 italian Flying Dutchman I sail at the moment, but a small restoration project of a "real" classic is still what I've set myself to do.

cheers

max
cweed

Post by cweed »

Hello.

Seasons Greetings..........

Have you seen this?

http://gbr.international14.org/index.ph ... p=1&lnph=2&