Lee shore.

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
bornagainmothie

Re: Lee shore.

Post by bornagainmothie »

I thought there was plenty of scandalising in West Bromwich :wink:

(He says, ducking behind a wall in Wolverhampton!)
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Kev, what is it then ?
Hi bornagainmothie, are you Greensforge sc?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
bornagainmothie

yes, Greensforge Moth fleet :)

Lyndon
trebor

Post by trebor »

I was over there a couple of weeks ago, we are hoping to set up an handicap league between Greensforge ourselves and Brookvale, Brookvales membership declined to 5 members and 1 of these does not sail, they have the full set up of a sailing club, loads of club boats, RYA boats a nice clubhouse etc but no members.
I was smitten by the Phantoms at your club, if we have the trouble with swimmers next year I may well be joining your club.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Wow - what happened for them to have ended up pretty much vanishing?
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Rupert, The lake is extremely difficult to sail, it is a long thin lake, surrounded by trees, unless wind blows from a certain direction it is almost unsailable, unfortunately the prevailing wind is not in the direction you want, this plus downturn in economy.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
bornagainmothie

Aah, that was the day Julie and I were trying out a lovely wooden Scorpion, (It was too blustery for mothing) I remember some conversation about an inter-club series. Sorry, I was too busy bailing the Scorpion out to say hello, but I'm sure you were made welcome by our Commodore Andi and we will hopefully look at the possibilities for next year.

Our Phantom fleet consists of mostly old wood boats with metal rigs, and one FRP boat with carbon rig, but it makes little difference on a pond, skill is more important. The phantoms do however contribute greatly to the nuisance swimming here :wink:

BTW, the Scorpion failed its buoyancy test because the front and port tank were full of water due to not quite sealing hatch covers. We only discovered this after 2 races where we finished right on the tail of the leading phantom. If it had been watertight we could have been so much quicker!
Strange the only photos taken were of the very near capsize, we know who are friends are!

Lyndon
Attachments
...thought these things were stable????
...thought these things were stable????
trebor

Post by trebor »

Hi Lyndon, The Phantom I looked at was in lead for all the race I watched, it looked in good condition and pointed up towards clubhouse end really well, I do not think it was his boat though.
The problem we have with swimmers is a consequence I suppose of having a sailing club in a tourist attraction, when you have been walking for miles in the hot sun, a cool lake is too much to resist.
That narrow bit on your water must really test your tacking ability.
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
roger

Post by roger »

trebor wrote:Hi Rupert, The lake is extremely difficult to sail, it is a long thin lake, surrounded by trees, unless wind blows from a certain direction it is almost unsailable, unfortunately the prevailing wind is not in the direction you want, this plus downturn in economy.
Sounds like Shearwater. Fortunately the prevailing wind does go the length of the lake but northerly or southerly horrible
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353