Baltic Wharf 16 Nov

Chat about CVRDA events
sjgrobbins

Re: Baltic Wharf 16 Nov

Post by sjgrobbins »

roger wrote:Well the boat floats
Good news indeed :D I always thought she would.

What up with the self bailers, is there a lot of water coming in? I'm a bit surprised about the CB as well. It was a bit tight if anything when we got it out a couple of weeks ago. I had to lie on the drive and push it up from below. Not really an option when sailing of course :lol: Is it just water coming through the bolt hole, might need a new rubber seal on the bolt.
roger

Post by roger »

whacko! wrote:In club handicap racing FB6 sails off 1046. As David suggests, she was given a slightly more generous figure at Bosham.

Chris Turner
FBs 6 & 14463
I like the generous Bosham figure best :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Post by roger »

sjgrobbins wrote:
roger wrote:Well the boat floats
Good news indeed :D I always thought she would.

What up with the self bailers, is there a lot of water coming in? I'm a bit surprised about the CB as well. It was a bit tight if anything when we got it out a couple of weeks ago. I had to lie on the drive and push it up from below. Not really an option when sailing of course :lol: Is it just water coming through the bolt hole, might need a new rubber seal on the bolt.
Self bailers is a steady trickle not a major issue I usually climb underneath and run a bit of silicon round to seal them and then its easy to open if needed. I suspect the seals are a bit tired but old bailers always seem to leak a bit and its a right pain trying to redo the seals.

The centreboard is now quite loose and the bolt is not even finger tight. I suspect a tidy up of the seals and a bit of Vaseline and a spanner will do the trick. Nothing major.

I put the mast up yesterday and managed to unravel the jib halyard so took the opportunity of running a new one is as it was a bit tired and then thought I might as well do the main as well as it didn't look to strong. So I think we are ready to go sailing. :D
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
roger

Post by roger »

Really sorry but I am afraid I wont be sailing at Baltic Wharf now as I have been in Hospital for the last two days and doubt I will be fit enough to sail. We may venture down to say hello though.

Shame really I was looking forward to sailing with Stu in Mah Jong. Next time
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Spiderman

Post by Spiderman »

Hi Roger,

Very sorry to hear that you are unwell and won't now be sailing at Baltic Wharf. I hope that you make a speedy recovery and are at least able to come along and spectate. The weather forecast is showing that there may not be much wind and it should be fairly dry so this might be a good one to be on the bank for. We are planning to come down, but alas without a boat for various reasons so I'll be on the bank with the camera instead of sailing. At least I will be able to recce the place and work out which boat to bring next year!

Best Wishes and get well soon

Ian and Wendy
roger

Post by roger »

Hi Ian,
Thanks for your concern I am out and on the mend so hope to sail again soon.
If I feel up to it I will come down to watch the drift.

Best boat would be one that tacks easily and is good on drifty ponds. Every time I have sailed there it has been light and fluky apart from the famous squall that took the fleet out one year.

Hope to see you Saturday

Rog
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

I am very much looking forward to meeting you all.

The CVRDA event is a real highlight for the club and the classic and vintage dinghies always look really good in the historic harbour, although it cannot be gainsayed that the winds can be fluky and light....BUT huge is the skill that lets a dinghy go as fast as it will.

I have a Lightning which - I know does not qualify for the CVRDA - but there will be club sailing and anyone is welcome to use it if the fancy takes them. Unfortunately the Magnum 5 is still in the work shop but has been stripped lightened and heavied again by application of sheathing filler and paint but is now without holes and hopefully rotten wood.

My thanks to advice and encouragement.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Cheers

ALAN
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

I'm Looking forward to joining you Alan.
Pity the Mag 5 isn't ready, but it sounds like its progressing well in the time you've had. A bit of weight from sheathing is better than a weakness in the long run.
Have a go in my Mag7 if there is time between races.

Lyndon
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Grrrrr....

Looks likely that I am not going to make it after all....

Clutch has gone on my little Fiat and I think if the weather is good I will have to spend the w/end under the car, changing the clutch!

I was rather looking forwards to it....and who knows, I may yet think f*ck it and come up for the day, but if I don't make it.......hope you guys have fun - I will be thinking of you.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
roger

Post by roger »

Hoping to be there to watch the first race and have a chat at lunch time but no sailing Im afraid. :cry: :(
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
keithr

Post by keithr »

Sorry I wont make it either, we have an open training day at Clywedog.

Have a great day.
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Have a lovely day - I shall think of you while sat in "Safeguarding training"...yawn...
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well the wind certainly didn't live up to expectations - the forecast 5 to 7mph was 0 to 1 in reality and seven boats managed a one lap painful drift for the first race and unanimously decided not to try for a second one. Thanks to the race and rescue teams at Baltic Wharf for their time and efforts and for towing everyone in who retired or as they finished.
At least we had a nice sociable gathering with several spectators - nice to see Stu again and also Roger on the mend.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chris

Post by chris »

Yes is good to see everyone again, and thanks to the organisers at Baltic Warf
Nice pub shame about the wind! as they say.
Chris and Lois
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

My thanks to everyone who turned up Despite miserable wind It was great to see everybody and share in the fun these classic dinghies bring.

Iska (spelling) I we'll remember from sailing at Roadford and it was great to share moth talk and help from Lyndon and Ian.

I don't know the official results but the Magnum 8 n 7 got away with impressive speed. Lyndon's 7 lead to the SS Great Britain and then the 8 overtook upwind. There were calls from the race committee envoking rule 49 re pumping ooching etcera. Although Lyndon was rock steady. I however ......

Reminded me of old times as the really narrow boats were impossibly uncomfortable downwind in waves in light winds and rolled and oohed and tottered drunkenly. So rule 49 was often invoked but in truth what was gained from a pump was lost by an ooch and smoothest was fastest.

I really look forward to the next one with wind.

Cheers
Alan