Tall Rig for a Merlin Rocket

Post your requirements here
Haymaker

Tall Rig for a Merlin Rocket

Post by Haymaker »

I have completed the restoration of a Mk9B and need to sort the rig. Obviously the mast is not original as the length of the luff groove plus black band to sheerline in 21ft8ins - presumably from an 80's NSM. The mainsail, which is like new has a luff length of 19ft5ins - which plus the black band to sheerline measure makes for a 22ft rig.
Does anybody have a long mast or a short sail lurking?
davidh

Re: Tall Rig for a Merlin Rocket

Post by davidh »

Haymaker,

You've really put your finger on one of the problems of boats from the 'middle epoch' in terms of Merlins. You're too young for the 25ft rig and not old enough for today's 'standard' rig setting. I've been keeping my eyes open for some sails from the mid 1970s or at least sails that will fit a mid 1970s rig. Hate to say it but most have now either been picked up 2nd (or 3rd, 4th etc) hand or have fallen apart. Annoyingly, the one sail that I do have just has to have the worst 'cut' in any mainsail I've sailed with. My guess is it was originally cut for a new boat in the days of Morrison wires (when LOTS of pre-bend was the order of the day) but whatever - it's an ugly bag of a rag!

If I stick with the Merlin (and given the way that the class is playing silly *****ers with regard to the classic fleet this cannot be taken as granted) I've already decided that I'm going to have to invest in new sails/an all new rig!

If I did go down that route I'd go for the tallest mast allowed under the rules and a matching 'high aspect' mainsail - with my weight in the Smokers I feel that we've got the power to handle this!

Good luck.... don't forget to post some pictures!

Dougal
David H
Haymaker

Post by Haymaker »

Hi - You are right - the future is strange. It would be good to use the tall main though and stop throwing money at, what is after all, just an old Merlin. Maybe a new suit of sails for Christmas!!
A few pics of the rebuild here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109867603@N02/
Peter
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well done, looks like a really good re-build!

Love that age of Merlin....

Good to see someone on the CVRDA forum from CRSC; I lived for many years as a child, half way up on Berries Road.....but never sailed there much.

good luck

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Peter,

I hope you don't mind but I've grabbed the picture of the transom (the shot ending in 366) to go on the Facebook page for the new MR Book (if you're not following us yet and are on Facebook then just search for 'Merlinrocketbook' and you can see the progress there). I've had lots of help from your friends at Cookham, Chris Rathbone, he of the Booth 'Rage' design has been more than helpful.

It looks like Mr Hunter might want your main so you may yet get your new suit of sails as the 'best Christmas present of 2013' - get your sails in now as next years pressie will be the book (the sails may be cheaper!)

If there is a problem with me using the picture shout back and I'll take it down, if not, a big thank you.

D
David H
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I recently had a very reasonable set of sails from R&J for my National 12 Sparkle, as mentioned below.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4945

I also mentioned I had MR 950 as well and if things work out and I finally get off my backside and rebuild her, I might well stump up for a new set for her tall rig. Some time away yet though.

If you take down your old sails for measurements, he will be able to sort you out very reasonably.

Fantastic boat, by the way.

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"