out of the shed...

share hints, tips and experiences
chris

out of the shed...

Post by chris »

and into the workshop.
The plan had been to start on Blue Peter last year but the best laid plans... This is an Int 14 build in 1945 by Buss and Elston to a design by Jack Holt. I don't know if any other 14s with a Holt connection survive. He designed and built just a hand full of clinker 14s before the war and designed a small batch built by this firm.
The boat is in terrible condition and if it wasn't a rarity and a question of bit of heritage that could be lost I think the Vikings could do something with it.
It's built a little differently to the Uffa Fox 14s of the period in that the skin's two layers are both diagonal and the inner layer is tongue and grooved. As far as I can tell there is no oiled cloth membrane in between. both layers are from planking 1"x 1/4" mahogany.

I do not think it is a realistic proposition to dismantle the skin at all. It would then require new skin, new ribs, new everything...in other words a replica at best preserving virtually nothing of the original. So this will be a major repair job.

What other winter project are lined up for people then?
bp1.jpg
(29.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
BP.jpg
(30.14 KiB) Not downloaded yet
davidh

Re: out of the shed...

Post by davidh »

Chris,

Oh dear...... a classic 'good news/bad news' story. The good news is that the restoration of Blue Peter looks like being a real 'sea story'! However, the bad news is that I want to be involved in the telling not only of this story but of the wider picture of 'who is restoring what this winter'! Once again, the so called yachting media will just possibly take more of an interest if there is a spread of topics being covered.

So, we have a classic 14 for starters, what else is being renovated/restored at present?

D
David H
roger

Post by roger »

Its unlikely but I might find a chance to start on Demon Hornet 595, otherwise it will be routine maintainance on the rest of the fleet..

Pleased to see she is in the workshop at last Chris. I must pop over and have a proper look. So far I have only seen the transom.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Well, I must do some work on the Tideway.....

and I really want to finish off my 1907? Bathurst Whiff....

But really if I have any time, it will go towards the A30 for her indoors....and then if there is any time left after that......then my AlfaSud.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

Roger, if you've seen the transom I think you should let Chris know where it is!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

:D That was a while ago it may have rotted away by now or been used on the woodburner.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
keithr

Post by keithr »

I ought to start on the tormentor fifteen 204 but went and bought a vintage motorhome in a mad moment so playing with that at the moment. It can tow over a ton though so can pull any of the fleet!!!!

[url]https://picasaweb.google.com/1003751923 ... wJKeSw[url]

Keith
Two Peggies 199,100,
Flying fifteen 1855,
Flying fifteen 204 (now in the barn)
Sunbird
chris

Post by chris »

Well the transom has been detached from the boat for a long time...now where did I put it?
It's with this lot somewhere.
Attachments
14 parts.jpg
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

that's a big job.

In contrast I *only* have a mast to build for the 18 project, plus spars. Then some work on the Finn which is non urgent but needs doing, and then some tlc varnishing on the MR.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
chris

Post by chris »

I've been trying to locate some Rock Elm for ribs. It seems completely unavailable even in the states and Canada.
The timber is very different to other species of elm and is more like hickory (axe handles etc) than anything else.
Ulmus Thomasii is Rock Elm and Ulmus Racemosa is Canadian Rock Elm. Uffa Fox' specification for his 14s listed Canadian Rock Elm. (planking in Honduras Mahogany).
The nearest I've come to in the UK is firm selling Red Elm . They list alternative names including Soft Elm and Rock Elm! I can't imaging this bares much relation to Rock Elm at all.
Any one know of a source or if it is fact just not available commercially as a timber now?
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

My own projects by comparison seem rather small and insignificant, but are still held up by other priorities in my life. Nothing too abnormal there then.

I sometimes try to encourage myself by saying that you cannot make your other half happy unless you are happy yourself. Its a perfect excuse to excuse yourself from watching yet another episode of reality mass bullying as some poor anxious arachnophobe is subjected to eating more bits of revolting Australian roadkill.

" I'm just popping out to the garage, do you mind changing the baby's nappy if he wakes?" is a line I am rehearsing but not yet tried. :lol:

The problem is the obstacles that do not make me happy. Tidying my study... ("Why should I, most of the real mess is the childrens hockey stuff!") Try saying that without growing a longer nose. Actually could be a good scource of Rock Elm! Hard wearing, flexible and resistant to all kinds of stress!

But once past that obstacle its win win. :) The Garage does need to be cleared, but not to the dump! :? Looks like I will need to do some imaginative stacking in the shed. Then Oh joy, clear space for a restoration project!!! More on those soon.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

@michael Keep the faith!

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Come on Michael, don't be shy now (we'll look the other way if you are!)

You can tell us on here: If/when the garage is cleared, what is it you'd be restoring? The wonderful canoe or the even more wonderful 14...or is there something else that you've yet to tell us??????

D
David H
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Nothing new, but very much same old.

Firefly. Flycatcher F3184. Very expensive professional job @ 6 years ago. The price of all that is long gone but has still not been forgotten. (My, time does fly.) Fair bit of woodwork repair done to transom and foredeck + Plate case forward thwarts and a nice varnish job. I now have a very good looking boat with all original fittings but she is beginning to look a bit tatty. Various parts of the interior had a less than thourough strip, and have worn through to bare wood again. I had a minor bump on the side at Bosham 2 years ago, but the boat made a kind of Kkkk! noise as it happened and there is a full thickness crack in the side. A strip back and clamping with some runny epoxy would fix it but that will need the garage. ...And now I have a serious increasing leak along the plate case. Well documented fix but either money or a longish spell in the garage and a learning curve in the carpentry is needed. What I have learned is that the simple but lengthy preparations are the expensive bits. I can go to a chippy to do the fiddly bits and its only 1-2 days labour charge. What is worse is that the professional preparation work, the expensive bit, is what I feel most let down by. There lies a lesson for all of us I think. We are far more obsessive about cleaning out every last bit of old yellow varnish. What we often don't have is the right tools.

The IC. Torment K102 Currently hangs in the rafters. Fossilised in the 1960's Half stripped. Lots of tedious bits as well. The Plate has a big chunk broken off the leading edge. The sails are far less mouldy (even quite white in places) but having washed them a few times in dishwasher soap to get there I suspect there will be quite a few rotten threads to repair. The ash battens all need a strip and revarnish, but otherwise this boat is really my easiest project. No really complex repairs, just stripping, varnishing, cleaning, about 1-2 hours of proffesional woodwork and some needlework on the sails. Could be a goer in the summer if the garage gets cleared. I have high hopes for the National rally boat to take home ribbon!

Blue Moon. The National Restricted class 14. (British Racing Assotiation formula 1928) For that is what I thing she is. 56 ribs and 12 strakes each side = 1,344 lands to strip and clear on the inside quite apart from the other fiddly bits. Then there's the ribs to strip and varnish and the outer strakes. And a Wooden mast to strip and re-rig. Possibly replace with an authentic Bamboo set of spars. And sails to find. Similar to a Norfolk One design I would think. This will take at least a winters worth of evenings. I would like to bring her to the national rally with a barrel of beer and we could set up a Strip Bar. For the price of playing with a triangular tool for an hour you can have pint or two of Horndean Special Brew and a good chat. :P

And then there is the bright yellow Mirror... "Pikachu", with floor cracks covered by battens and a wobbly plate case.

A scabby old Laser "White Trailer Trash," Fit only for a thrash when it's too windy to race.

The Peanut. A Hasler dinghy to be rowed by toddlers, saving that for the grandchildren.

An Avon redcrest. Again will be a grandchild's introduction to the sea.

Some windsurfers, (An F2 lightening race, but the Aluminium mast has fallen apart with corrosion from the seawater.) gathering dust like unicycles in the garage.

And finally the sexy bit. 3 single sculls and a Salters double rowing dinghy. I'd like to call it skiff but its not really. Fibreglass with a camping cover and gret at Henley Royal Regatta.

My Carl Douglas Scull. Refurbished and sleek. A genuine carnal pleasure to play with.
A 1960's Sims. Won the Doggets cot & Badge in 1960
A prototype Aluminium scull built from off cuts of Concord by Len Neville.

Plenty of precious treasure in Smaug's lair to keep me busy! :? :P
Michael Brigg
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

All of which is interesting enough but a long way from Mr Barlow's Canadian Rock elm.
How much does he need? Is he willing to pay the market rate?