out of the shed...

share hints, tips and experiences
Nessa

Re: out of the shed...

Post by Nessa »

I have cheated a bit and sent the contender away for refurb, but this means I can get on with the oldies myself.

Number one project is fitting out Agammemnon. All the parts are now home (assuming the centreboard is in the loft) so once the last coaching day of the year is out of the way - this Saturday - then work can begin.

Number two is the full strip and refurbishment of the Yellow Peril. A bit scary that one.

Number three is some tinkering with the Skol.

Is that really it?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

I'd forgotten you had the Skol Nessa.....wondered why you mentioned John C.s comment! It honestly is fairly easy to sail....although whether it is easy to sail competitively I couldn't say. I had a decent Mylar sail on it at the time, and well set up.....spent some time sorting the rig, so it was very responsive......a shame that sail didn't get passed on to Max by the guy who bought it from me.

I will be very interested to see what you find when you start on the yellow boat, a fascinating boat I think.

I have 2588 back up the right way and have found some more work than first thought.....as one does! A couple of old repairs will need attention, but it looks like stuff I can do.......more on the the other thread when I have some pics.
Sami.
angus

Post by angus »

Sadly due to the fact I don't have a work shop I am working on a totaly differnt scale to you guys although I do have a Mini sprint a moth and a pipedream all waiting for when the permafrost melts.......OK I no it doesn't but it makes a change from a round tuit.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f ... =3&theater
I am not sure if this link will work
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
davidh

Post by davidh »

Hi Angus......I've just replied to your thread on the MR website! Welcome here too!
(a quick plea - do you have a picture you can send me of Shadowfax in her current condition - anything will do! I'll put it up on the webpage for the new merlin Rocket book!)

Okay - back on topic - the 'story so far' of Chris's work on 483 has been written and the boat photographed - this will all be sent to Classic Boat later today so we have to hope that they will run it without too much being left on the cutting room floor!

If this works - Sami, you could be next (nessa, I haven't forgotten Aggie but can't do two 14s in a row).

keep fingers crossed for now!

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Wow....quick work David.....tell me if the pic quality I've been using on the Moth thread is ok........didn't have access to Lynne's phone 'cos she was at work (so inconsiderate!) so I've been using mine and have more pics than shown on here......my quick make-over has turned into a slightly longer job, but still very much in the maintenance category as opposed to resto!
Sami.
podmeister

Post by podmeister »

Hi Soloentgal

Depending on the resolution the phone can take pictures at depends if they are suitable for print. Most camera phones can't shoot that high quality, not unless it is relatively new and more often than not expensive - depends how picky the magazine art workers are really.

I know in my office, I have many clients send us pictures they have taken on camera phones to use in brochures and we need to either refuse them or make them very small to achieve the right resolution to be suitable for print.

Camera phones are getting much better and starting to overtake compact cameras - but they ones able to take a shot that could be used at a reasonable size are models such as the iPhone5 and upwards and the Galaxy s2 and upwards.

I'll grab one of the pics you've posted and drop it into photoshop to get the actual size of true pic for print.

**EDIT**

Just used this pic for sizing. I have converted these from the standard 72dpi digital cameras work in and converted it to 300dpi that would be required by a printer.

The size came out as:

8.67cm x 6.5cm (WxH)

Not bad for an inset, but not big enough for a full page image.

One solution would be if you have a dslr or similar to take the shots or try borrow one from a friend for a few key stage shots - such as the beautiful end result :D
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sami...

Podmeister is right I'm afraid.

But no worry, I'd have come along and taken my own pictures - it is far easier to write the text to your our shots that to try to imagine what someone else was seeing. Hence my visit to Frome on Tuesday; although it was great seeing Lois and Chris (and having Roger D calling in for an insult trade or two) I not only got to see the boat but have my own record. One of the shots that I'm really pleased with is of the inner layer, which is made up in a very smart (and clever) tongue and grove. It is a testament to Chris's handiwork that he's recreating this - and I've captured it, in detail, in high res!

But let's see what the good people at CB say first - they may not like it (Susan who did the first correction and proofing thought it good though)

D
David H
solentgal

Post by solentgal »

Podmeister: Thank you for your input ......I'm not at all techy with cameras, but I guessed the sort of issues the quality would cause.....even so, not bad for a Samsung ace which still has the protective plastic over the lense!.... I was quite surprised :). Lynne has a Samsung S2 (she works in a phone shop) and the quality is notably better. We were discussing this last night, and came to the conclusion that you would probably need to pay us a visit David, assuming there is interest from the magazine......would be great to meet you and show you over the boat......and you're welcome any time, even if the article doesn't go ahead.

I'm just off outside to strip more varnish and have a tidy up.....sun's out now too......what better way to spend a day? (other than sailing her, of course!) :)
Sami.
davidh

Post by davidh »

Sami.....well, the final article along with some great pics has been sent, so we now have to wait and see! If the answer is a 'no' then I don't know what else to do - at least in the UK. Susxi thought the article really 'told the story' as it included the history, the detail and positioned the boat in the bigger scheme of things.

It would be nice to think it will be well received but if the responses from the RYA are anything to go by, "blessed are they that expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed"

D
David H