Brookes and Deadman

General chat about boats
SingTheNightSong

Brookes and Deadman

Post by SingTheNightSong »

in the Design Guide for the MR's there is no mention of the pairing, Brookes and Deadman (Adur Boatyard Srs) why may i ask (as a complete novice to Merlin sailing!! (but with 2 : 1067 and 1614)); are there no records?? : as far as i can tell they were very influential, certainly in the rivers, so why aren't they listed!! - anybody know??
peter
Obscured by clouds

Re: Brookes and Deadman

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Welcome to the CVRDA

Maybe your question would be best answered over at the MROA discussion board?

http://www.merlinrocket.co.uk/forum/main/default.asp

edited to add: Ah I see you already have.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
davidh

Post by davidh »

Peter,

the answer to your question is long and 'complex' - and probably not a little bit on the controversial side of things, so is probably best not played out on an open forum! If you go back to the MR Forum and look at the string titled 'MR Association Spar cash' you will see that some highly respected class members suggested using some of the funds available to 'do' something about the Design Guide. However, I'd not hold my breath waiting, as this proposal has been around ages and each time gets firmly booted into the long grass. So, for now the Design Guide will remain an interesting but 'flawed' record - with a number of glaring gaps in the narrative.

If you want to see some more pictures of Adurs just go over to the Facebook page on the new MR book (just search 'merlinrocketbook') and you'll see a number of photos, including one of 610, the very first Adur MR!

D
David H
SingTheNightSong

Post by SingTheNightSong »

Thanks David, i'll do that - (but i DO hate Facebook - oh well, needs must .......!) - peter
Pat

Post by Pat »

Peter - just think of Facebook as another forum that you have to log into. You don't have to put anything on your own personal bit but can access other pages. My Facebook page has two pictures and nothing else. One is my personal icon (avatar) and the other my header and both are sailing pictures.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
chrismartin3583

Post by chrismartin3583 »

The design guide is certainly not encyclopedic, it is exactly what it says - a guide. DavidH is the man to write encyclopedias!

There are little bits missing, most of these that are relevant to boats that people are likely to buy will hopefully be plugged in the next update which is currently in progress.

I think that the class would be very receptive to someone writing a design guide for vintage boats, indeed i suggested it when i did the last update. I know very little about designs pre mid 70s as i haven't really either sailed them or sailed against them. The vintage wing suggested that this was going to be happening but hasn't and this was some time ago. I am painfully aware that it's not a five minute job, and people do lead busy lives so maybe it needs someone else to take up the mantle.

Is anyone on here up for a bit of writing?