Dulux exterior gloss?

share hints, tips and experiences
si_hitch

Dulux exterior gloss?

Post by si_hitch »

No doubt this has been covered somwhere but I cannot find a thread.

I have been thinking about painting the hull of my enterprise with "normal" exterior gloss. My thinking is my window frames are out all year round in the sun, wind and rain, and they last 2 years minimum between re-paints. My boat will be out in the water most weekends and a few evenings for 6 months of the year, and when not being used will be stored in my shed.

I am wondering why we spend twice the price of window paint on marine paints?

Has anyone tried this?
Rupert

Re: Dulux exterior gloss?

Post by Rupert »

I've used house paint on many occasions. Of them, Dulux was one of the worse. Crown was better, as was Homebase own, if I remember correctly. The best by a long way, though is International exterior gloss. Seems to be pretty much the same as their boat paint, and lasts very well. I bought 3 2/12 litre cans when Focus went bust, for 50p each, and they have done several boats so far, including the Mirror and Minisail.
Rupert
Pat

Post by Pat »

I've got a Lark which someone painted with household gloss paint at some stage and that paint and the layers above it has just peeled off at that layer as it hasn't taken properly to the gelcoat and fibreglass layers below. Pressure washing has actually removed most of the gloss and the whole thing is a bit of a mess.
Do it once, do it right, as you get what you pay for, and especially with paint these days. Even paint from the DIY sheds is expensive now. Boat jumbles are good for cheaper boat paint.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

That would have had more to do with the preparation of the sub layer, I'd have thought, Pat. But unless the paint is in the shed already, you are right about the price. It is also difficult to get oil based gloss now, not water based, and the oil based is pretty much on a par with boat paint.
Rupert
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
I was left in a will a Plymouth Dolphin. This boat had been beautifully built with double diagonal planking with an oiled silk membrane. It also had herring bone layed decks and looked really beautiful. The previous owner died at 86 and was sailing until 84. He did not believe in "wasting his money on marine paint" and used one of the popular brands of household enamel glosses. When we started to strip the hull down I was worried as the scraper went straight through the ply transome. The ply was sodden dispite having about 3-4 mm of paint covering it. We stopped work and decided to probe the boat thoroughly with a screwdriver. This was to prove the death nell of the Dolphin. Where ever we probed the screwdiver went through with out any pressure. The only thing holding this boat together was the thick coating of paint. Needless to say we stripped the hull of any useful parts, cut it up and burnt it. Moral use the right paint for the job if you want your boat to last.
Cheers Al
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

I am largely with Rupert on this one.

I havn't had any issue with using top quality oil-based household paints, but with a few provisos.

First, I don't see much difference in price between 'top-quality' professional household paints and marine paints. In fact some marine paints such as Yotun are pretty competitively priced, especially if you compare them to an expensive make of household paints like Farrow & Ball.

second, although I am happy to compromise with a top-coat, that is replaced every 2-3 years anyway, I feel much more sensitive about my choice of paint for primers and undercoats. With these, I think it is pretty important to get the best that you can as they are far more important to the strength and longevity of the boat.

In my experience with household paints and for that matter any top-coat. The real challenge is getting decent adhesion between the paint and the substrate (primer or undercoat) that it is going on. Get this right and the paint will work, but if you don't get it right, then like Pat says, it will flake off.....whatever it cost in the first place.

So for my money: Get good primer/undercoat, make sure it has a decent key on it, or isn't too hard, ie don't leave it for weeks before overcoating, then put a cheapish topcoat on....and expect to touchup at the end of the year and replace after two.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yes, good quality household paint is excellent, I have used it on numerous boats. I have recently used Johnstones (Est. 1890) Weatherguard "6 year" exterior gloss (cheaper than Dulux) and can recommend it. However limited range of colours.

Mike Liggett.
Alan P.

Post by Alan P. »

As a Painter and Decorator for over 30 years, can i just add my two penny worth?.

Marine gloss has different solvents and solids to house gloss paint. They dry and cure much slower but once cured withstand knocks and scrapes much better than house paint. It is always important to use a good marine primer and undercoat system but especially so if top coating with house gloss because this will be scratched through in hard use for certain.

As to brands of house gloss, very recently there has been huge changes in manufacturers with brands disappearing or being sold. Dulux ,for example is no longer ICI, but Axol Noble, who own several other brands. For me at the moment, i like Crown gloss who used to also make "Permoglaze" which was cheaper but first rate. I'm not sure whether this is still available. Sorry Mike, but i think Johnstones gloss is just dire. ( i cannot for the life of me remember who owns this brand now). Their "Weatherguard" type is a "flexible" gloss as is Dulux's "Weathershield" and are said to give with any movement in wood which makes me doubt their knock and scrape resistance.

I'm going to continue to use marine gloss as, for obvious reasons, i do'nt want to have to regularly repaint a boat during my freetime thank you very much. Mind you, the Ok is the only woody i have these days and she lives in the garage so my days of painting and varnishing are over. :D
OK 1211 Peter Crew wood 1968
Gull 2892 Hartley MK6 Plastic 2014
Streaker 1582. Home built. Wood 2005