Merlin 1230 on Ebay from Whitefriars

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Stephen Hawkins

Merlin 1230 on Ebay from Whitefriars

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
Hotspur

Re: Merlin 1230 on Ebay from Whitefriars

Post by Hotspur »

He'll be lucky to get that money for it, I'd have thought, unless it's one of the sought after vintage wing designs? Doesn't look any better than Fearless and that went for £200.
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Proctor Mk XIV according to my MR yearbook.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
chris

Post by chris »

looks in nice and original condition.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I know that boat... seen it out a few times, always looks good, shame he is selling. As for price, a great boat for the money, but old racing boats don't seem to work that way. More boats than potential owners, I guess.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Rupert,

yes, a nice boat but.......

The 'but' is something that I'm seeing increasingly 'across the piece' where the classic scene is continuing to develop, but at the same time, potential owners are becoming maybe more discerning. This is only an observation and my reading of the situation may be wrong (though I don't think so). It's a bit like the dogs that are waiting for rehoming at the rescue centre - there are some cuties that will get picked up very quickly, whilst others face an uncertain future.

I'd love to see the Class taking a stronger lead on this - as has been mentioned elsewhere but I don't see that either. Is price a factor? Probably! Is 'desirability' a bigger factor? You bet!

The saving grace for this boat would be to take it and turn it into a real concours project, complete with a high degree of originality. That would make it work, until people start doing the same with Ixbs and other perceived 'attractive' boats.

D
David H
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Desirability and availability are the key elements here, like anything else I guess.

Small pretty cruising dinghies like Tideways and Ducklings always seem to sell well, because they are very desirable.

On the other hand big racing boats like FD's, 505's and JB's seem to fair badly. Lots of reasons for this. but in the end it comes down to the fact that there are not many people who are confident to sail the bigger boats, and those that are....would prefer to sail newer boats, cos they are race boats....and new boats go better and are easier to sail.

Merlins are a hard one though. There are lots of em still about and people who want to race em, but the prospective buyer can really afford to be fussy. So as you say, we get the dogs at the rescue centre. With Merlins, though, I guess the important question is 'who do you intend to race with?' You have a choice of keeping it original and sailing with the CVRDA, as we will at least try to give a reasonable handicap for it.....or developing it for all it is worth, and racing with the MROA vintage wing.

I still struggle to get too worried about this.....as long as you don't try to mix the two concepts. Do one....or do the other, it's your choice.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Stephen Hawkins

I would love it, especially as I have now joined whitefriars.....but I already have too many boats and I still have 950...doh!
Steve Hawkins

Stephen Hawkins

Surprised it did not sell.

I thought it was quite reasonable.

Does not bode well? Or wrong time of year......

Cheers

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

Now relisted starting at £200
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »