Old cherub spinnaker pole...and possibly a few other things.

Post your requirements here
Max McCarthy

Old cherub spinnaker pole...and possibly a few other things.

Post by Max McCarthy »

All,

As you may have read (in the Spencer 7 thread) I have recently acquired a Spencer 7 cherub, as a result, I am rather excited about this (especially as it is 'CVRDA-able') however, there are a few things I still require. Namely the following.....

The main bit of kit is a spinnaker pole to suit (one of a similar vintage, suited to a cherub would be great) so if anyone has one in hidden away anywhere (which isn't needed....) could you please let me know?

Along with that I also require some battens, to suit the sail. Or at least some info on making battens, and what materials I might need would be great (if anyone has any suitable battens).

Oh, and lastly, I require a few old blocks (preferably something from around this era) as well, so anything someone might have in their garages or sheds (or somewhere!) which they don't need, it would be fantastic if you could let me know....

I think that is pretty much it at the moment....

What I mainly need is the spinnaker pole, as the rest is pretty easily aquirable, and if it is of any help the cherub is most likely pre 1972, although the sails (I have with her) were measured in 1976, so I am a little clueless on the build date of the boat.

So, any cheruber's (or ex-cheruber's) out there who may have these things than it would be great if you could let me know....or indeed, anyone with anything suitable, it would be great if you could let me know....

Many thanks,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
JimC

Re: Old cherub spinnaker pole...and possibly a few other thi

Post by JimC »

Max McCarthy wrote:What I mainly need is the spinnaker pole, as the rest is pretty easily aquirable,
Rocking horse [manure] I fear. It should be 9 feet long, and no other class will really do, although with care you can fabricate one from two 505 spinnaker poles. The very best ones where needlespar ones which were made from two tapered topmast sections, joined in the middle, next best were Superspar which were made in the factory from two 505 spinnaker poles... If you can find a *pair* of secondhand sailboard masts that might be a good way to go too.
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Thanks for the reply Jim. Sounds as though my search has suddenly become a little trickier than I imagined....

I will have a look into both the superspar and needlepar ones, if anyone has them spare.

If not, Jim, have you any information on combining two 505 spinnaker poles effectively? As this would seem the easiest (to acquire) option.....

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I know nothing about Cherubs but in Solos the early seventies we were using half inch wide fibreglass cruciform section battens that were tapered so that when they were bent they gave an aerofoil shape to the sail. How wide are the batten pockets and how long do you need? I have not looked but I might have something lurking a dark corner that could be pressed into service. Modern Solo battens are not tapered and rely on the cut of the sail to take up the desired shape.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
JimC

Post by JimC »

Max McCarthy wrote:have you any information on combining two 505 spinnaker poles effectively?
Find a bit of heavy duty alloy tube the same outside diameter as the id f the 505 poles, cut one end off each pole to the required length and sleeve...

The Cherub association will likely have the records of when the boat was built, I advise joining up.
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi Jim,

Thanks, I shall join the Cherub association then soon, and look into the spinnaker pole option....

Also, Phil, I will do some measuring when I get home, and let you know...it sounds certainly ideal...thanks...

Many thanks,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi Jim,

I have found someone who makes custom spinnaker poles; is 38mm a large enough diameter (would you say) for a cherub spinnaker pole? Or, in other words, what diameter was used for cherubs of this age?

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
JimC

Post by JimC »

Well the Superspars ones are 42mm and not overbuilt, the needlespar ones were more. Plenty of thinner ones were used back in the day, and hardly a championship was without a bent pole or two either. A lot also depends on the gauge of the tube, and also how good your forward hand is at avoiding the pole hitting the forestay - usual cause of pole damage.

Think I broke at least three in around 4 serious racing seasons before we took up sprit kites, but I never managed to break my superspar one.
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Hi Jim,

The pole gauge is 16, so I shall have a think....

Many thanks.

Phil, I am sorry I haven't got back to you - I shall do it as soon as I can, so I am sorry about that...

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Max I have pretty much everything from an old Cherub given to me by Tim Noyce, including the spinnaker pole. I have no idea how long it is but will find it and measure it. I also have a nice mainsail and jib, plus some spininies though I'm not sure they are original Cherub.

The boat was The Cats Whiskers, a Foreman 4g I think, so you can check it it is a suitable donor. I literally have everything except the hull which was wafer thin.....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Brilliant! That sounds perfect, Nessa!

The spinnaker pole, I would have thought would be about the right length for 1658, as I believe a Forman 4 is around the right sort of vintage.

Another, possibly unusual question, I have found (believe it or not!) that the mast which came with the boat, doesn't actually fit, unfortunately. So when you say 'everything', I don't suppose you mean that that could include the mast? Not that the mast would necessarily fit, but it might be worth a try!

Lastly, I don't suppose you know what make of spinnaker pole it is?

This is fantastic Nessa, what would you want for the various bits and pieces? I can guarantee pretty much all of it will be used at some point....

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have the mast, fully rigged. I will check it all out on Sunday and let you know details.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

That is brilliant! Thanks Nessa...

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

The pole is a 9ft super spars, looks pretty new, the mars is Needlespar, looks pretty old but everything is there. The boom s a cut down mishmash of something else, but again all there and rigged for a split tail main. I am away from the 8th for a week, but here Ll of half term.

I was given this stuff so it would be wrong to sell it, but you could make a donation to my sailability group if you like?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

That is absolutely fantastic Nessa, and your Sailability group sounds like a good cause too...

Just sounds perfect....I shall find out from my parents if they are free over half term, but, all going well, they should be.....

Many thanks,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337