Varnishing questions

share hints, tips and experiences
Jimmylovescake

Varnishing questions

Post by Jimmylovescake »

Having read through his forum and got some great advice both to direct questions and previous topics (including varnishing for idiots) I am nearing the point where after a winter of stripping sanding and replacing wood, I have to start putting things back together and protecting the work that I have done.

I have epoxy coated the outside of the hull of my Enterprise and I'm happy with the results, I now have the deck off to finish my stripping, sanding and structural bits of the inside and having read through the idiots guide to varnishing I have an idiots question to ask...
...I understand that Urethane varnishes offer more strength and longevity than traditional vanishes, and I get that two pack polyurethanes, although very good, are more complicated to maintain. I am planning on using a single pack or mono urethane varnish and I have been looking at Hempel, International and Epifanes products.

Firstly I can't find a clear coat monoeurethene Epifanes varnish. Secondly, despite the idiot guide claiming that Internationals Schooner varnish was a mono-urethane, from reading on their website and through their technical information I can only find confirmation that Internationals 'Compass' varnish fits that description, is this right?

So the main question is this, I want to start the varnishing process with a mono-urethane simply for the durability and longevity it offers, although I was going to do the finishing coats with Epifanes Clear Gloss varnish, which I understand is easier to use and maintain. Is this feasible / advisable or is this overkill?

Any advice, as usual, is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Jimmy

Previous Posts:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5085
Ed
Site Admin

Re: Varnishing questions

Post by Ed »

International keep changing their range of paints and varnishes.....and I wrote the 'Idiot's guide to varnishing' ages ago, so it is rather out of date now....and I am certainly out of touch with what is in the current range.

But Compass is a good varnish, very good I reckon, so I would have no hesitation in recommending you use that. No problem in using it entirely, but you could always put on the last coat or two with the Epiphanes if you wanted.

Quite a few of the old hard mono-pack varnishes used cyanoacrylates to set them and have been pulled out of the ranges.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jimmy,

In recent years I've had very good results using Hempel, both the one and two pot versions. If you've epoxied the outside of the hull then a two pot finish will work superbly and give that deep, lustrous finish. I've an all wood Contender that will be revarnished (on top of the epoxy) using Hempel - equally the decks on the Smokers are given the same treatment!

In the end, the trick is to decide what finish you want - are you aiming for concours standard or are you just wanting to go sailing - and work accordingly to that!

D
David H
Jimmylovescake

Post by Jimmylovescake »

Thanks for the responses folks.
I've spent a lot of time getting the boat to where it is, so ideally I would like to do the best job I can with the zero experience I have.

Despite epoxying the outside of the hull, I intend to spray it with polyurethane paint for the durability. I have carried out a few repairs which would look odd under a varnish finish but a blind man wouldn't feel them (surfboard repair background came in handy for blending everything in).

I wanted to avoid the 2 pack on the inside simply because of the difficulties in removing it when it comes to maintenance and future repairs. From reading Ed's idiots guide I figured that Mono-urethane was a good compromise, but I have heard from several sources that the Epifanes varnishes give the best finish and are easier to use.

I'm intending on getting the best polished finish I can on the deck ply, but are there any tips for finishes inside the hull? I figured a high gloss would be slippery as hell. I know the trick of sugar in the varnish, but only wanted to do that in limited areas.
paulmidd

Post by paulmidd »

Hi Jimmy,
I've just used Epifanes on the inside of my Ent - lovely finish, but as you point out it will be a complete killer when wet. Have a look at this thread:viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5106. If the link doesnt work it's the thread entitled 'Non slip on varnish', started by phil58490 on this board. You may have already seen it.

I have the samples that Phil talks about and will be ordering a roll of this tape as it seems a good balance between keeping the looks and a reasonably effective non-slip solution (though I might consider keeping a pair of old shin guards in the boat for the crew as well!). I certainly send them on to you if you want a look.

Good to see such rapid progress with the Enterprise.

Cheers
Paul
Jimmylovescake

Post by Jimmylovescake »

Thanks Paul.
I have just fired off an email to heskins to see what they recommend and to see if they will send any samples.
Have you had to get any of it off at all? what's it like to remove? Just thinking about the annual top up of varnish and how much hassle this could be to remove.

Has anyone tried the Epsom salts with varnish instead of poly' resin? I like the idea of being able to use it and then wash it out to leave the textured surface, although obviously don't want it too rough.
roger

Post by roger »

Jimmylovescake wrote:Thanks Paul.
I have just fired off an email to heskins to see what they recommend and to see if they will send any samples.
Have you had to get any of it off at all? what's it like to remove? Just thinking about the annual top up of varnish and how much hassle this could be to remove.

Has anyone tried the Epsom salts with varnish instead of poly' resin? I like the idea of being able to use it and then wash it out to leave the textured surface, although obviously don't want it too rough.
Sugar is a favourite for sprinkling on and then washing off once the varnish is dry. Seems to work quite well.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Jimmylovescake

Post by Jimmylovescake »

I've received my samples of tape today from Heskins, they have sent me H3405 Transparent Aqua safe, and H3415 Transparent Coarse Resilient.
Has anyone tried these? and what have they been like under foot?

Roger, have you a sugar of choice? and does that work well with epoxy? (I know it's ok with polyester resin)
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

Hi
I've tried this tape on my old finn nonslip is good but adhesion not so good soon started to peel off.
Cheers Al
Jimmylovescake

Post by Jimmylovescake »

I'm taking for granted Al that all was cleaned and keys before the tape was stuck down. Doesn't sound helpful. What have you used instead of the tape, or have you persevered?
Stephen Hawkins

Post by Stephen Hawkins »

I bought some non slip tape from Halfords.

It looks like the old style grit, not the modern rubbish soft stuff.

Black only and very strong glue.

Worth a punt.

Steve Hawkins
Steve Hawkins

1967 National 12 2383 "Sparkle"
davidh

Post by davidh »

I'd thought of just using standard varnish in the areas higher up on the inside of the hull - and Progrip on the area where the feet go! (contender sailors LOVE progrip everywhere!)

D
David H
Jimmylovescake

Post by Jimmylovescake »

Stephen Hawkins wrote:I bought some non slip tape from Halfords.

It looks like the old style grit, not the modern rubbish soft stuff.

Black only and very strong glue.

Worth a punt.

Steve Hawkins

Is that like the grip tape on skateboards?

I have to admit, I'm almost considering surfboard wax, as well as being relativity cheap, it is easy to remove with a bit of elbow grease and the right technique, and definitely does the job as far as non slip is concerned.

Has anyone else tried this and if so what levels of success did you have? and were there any problems?
angus

Post by angus »

I have used surf wax. Found it tended to wash off quickly where I wanted it and didn't where I didn't and quickly looks unsightly. Took me hours when I wanted to remove everything to repaint.
N2153, N2969, Merlin Rocket 3484, Mini Sprint
JimC

Post by JimC »

Jimmylovescake wrote:
Stephen Hawkins wrote: I'm almost considering surfboard wax, as well as being relativity cheap, it is easy to remove with a bit of elbow grease and the right technique, and definitely does the job as far as non slip is concerned.
I've used it, on a boat with a painted interior and it looked like hell after a while because it picked up so much dirt, and didn't seem that great as non slip. Removed it all in the end and replaced it with progrip.