Good news on improved media coverage

General chat about boats
davidh

Good news on improved media coverage

Post by davidh »

All,

have you seen the news............

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/1 ... achtingcom

So, we will now have a regular feature on Y&Y Online covering events, restorations, news, PYs - all the good stuff that has been overlooked so far. So, everything from 'Kate', Chris B and his 14, Sami and her Moth restoration, to the Low Riders at Hunts and the Revival meeting at Bosham, help me write the stories that will promote the classic dinghy scene!

D
David H
davidh

Re: Good news on improved media coverage

Post by davidh »

Well................ 'that' other magazine that talks about classic boats has still shown not a glimmer of interest in the classic dinghy scene so from now on, Y&Y will be giving more space and prominence to the goings on in classic world.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/1 ... -Classical

This was always going to be a hard opener, trying to encapsulate why sail a classic and what it is all about in just one article (albeit a long one) but from now on, we have the media profile that has been lacking to date.

As I see things - next issue is on restorations (Chris, Sami, Nessa and others - time for hair cuts and a workshop tidy up - so the pictures look nice, then Hunts......Blithfield, something on classic rigs and at some point, a fairly 'technical' look at classic PYs.

Nessa - do you want me to carry something of a promotion for Hunts, Lukey, ditto for Blithfield? (BTW - I DO have the pictures but right now, as you can see, have been focused on getting this done).

As for restorations, Bornagainmothie, Chris, nessa and Sami, plus anyone else in the throes of restoration, please bear me in mind with regard to pictures and descriptions - technical is good too, that we can feature. You'll see that the CVRDA site is linked to the article so we (fingers crossed) will get the increased interest here too!

What with the MR book, Classic One Designs (Yachting World) and now this, I'm thinking of retiring from retiring, it's too much like hard work!

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Just read the article - nice intro to the scene. For the future, you will need to decide whether you are writing from the point of view of looking on from the outside - so reporting on the scene with no editorializing, or writing in such a way that your own points of view are coming out as being "the way to do things". If the latter, then it does need to be made clear.
Rupert
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

One thing that could be worth part of an article is the influence that modern communication technology has had on the classic scene. The ability to communicate and organize events has enabled the rise of old boat sailing.
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

I think I know what you're getting at Rupert and yes, as this develops, then the 'positioning' is something that I will need to be aware off!

For now though I'm just chuffed to bits to finally make the breakthrough! For the remainder of this year, much of the activity will be little more than seeding for later growth. For sure none of the mainstream media outlets have really yet picked up on how good the classic scene has become, for Y&Y.com to take this as a regular, 'headline' feature can only be good in the long run.

Once this gets established and we have more informative, detailed articles coming through (be they on an event or a restoration) I think we'll see more 'pull through'. I've some very real evidence for this! Last weekend, I brought the Smokers from the mainland to the island so it can get dried out and hopefully 'sorted'. First, a cyclist stopped - his father sailed merlins back in the 1960s, they still have their boat in the roof of the garage (another early holt boat.....) - the guy wants a copy of the book when it comes out and is keen to get his father's boat afloat again.

Then, just as we were about to dock in Cowes, another passenger wandered over for a look - he has Int 14 545...... the second Fairey 14 built, Charles Currey's boat that he took to the Worlds in Bermuda. Again...stored in a garage and 'keen to escape'!

So, these boats are out there (and LOTS more) - somehow we just have to connect with them. Y&Y.com, with over 300,000 hits a month, reaches far further than the paper 'mag' ever reached - and connects us now to classic sailors worldwide too. I think that as the season progresses, the quality and quantity of reports will spread our message for us!

Cheers

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Half those hits are mine, of course...
Rupert
trebor

Post by trebor »

clicked on link, just an info page, where is cvrda article ?
Robert
Minisprint 4230
Tinker Traveller 160
Mirror 61147 Anastasia
http://www.aquabatdinghy.co.uk
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Rupert
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I really just want to do the Hunts promotion myself. There have been a couple of cock ups lately and I want to keep things on track. Sorry.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Hi David,

Any help promoting Blithfield will be gratefully received.
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
davidh

Post by davidh »

Luke,

are you coming to Hunts? If so, grab me there and we'll pull a plan together.

If not, as soon as Hunts is out the way, we'll start promoting Blithfield - of course I'll help

D
David H
Lukey T

Post by Lukey T »

Afraid I'm at the Merlin training at Rutland the weekend of hunts. But yeah we can speak after and get it all sorted

Cheers
Luke

MR3296 Seventh Heaven
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

Hi David,

Without seeing this brilliant article I emailed you some blurb to promote the Moth Spot at Roaadford which is an excellent Moth venue because it has space both on and off the water to launch sail and manage these wonderful dinghies.

Unfortunately my email server inbox is not working but Alan (at Roadford) is willing for any lowriding moth to attend despite being outside the CVRDA eligibility criteria. I think the connection is that such is the speed of development in the Moth class over the past decade that any modern lowrider is now so outclassed that they are all in danger of becoming lost classes. For example the Axemen 6 and 7 are arguably the apogee of Andy Peterson's low rider design. Brilliant dinghies .... but are there any sailing or seaworthy around ? Like wise the all conquering Hungry Tiger - most of which have been converted to high riders.

So the flying moths have revived the fortunes of the International Moth class but have also rendered a whole stream of pre 2004 International Moths obsolete and in need of rescue and in their way those dinghies along with the more classic Magnum 8 are as much part of the "classic" main stream as the those of pre cut off date.

The only waves I wont to make ( and those as small as possible) are when sailing a Moth. But David, the above arguments are behind my email and blurb sent to you but - I do not want to make any more larger waves by putting out inaccurate and unhelpful information. So while I am as keen as can be to promote any Moth spots but only within the CVRDA ethos which obviously gives a great number of people huge pleasure and focus for their passion and interest - So if there is any doubtful claim please delete it !!!

Having said that it would be wonderful if we could get a dozen moths sailing throughout the ages or through nearly 70 years of mothing from the early days of Brit Moth type design to Hungry Tiger lowride speeders !!!!

Alan has bravely said he will handicap the fleet and is not afraid to alter those if any particular design seems unduly speedy. my hope is that all competitors will be v tolerant of the difficulties inherent in this and the modern Moths ( if any attend) accept a penalty to give the older designs a well deserved edge over the obviously speedy Tigers and Axemen and later Magnums 9.

But what I really really want is for the event to be the outright winner.

Best wishes
ALAN

Magnum 8; 9.9
Lightning
davidh

Post by davidh »

Luke....no problems, as soon as Hunts is out of the way we can start the job of getting Blithfield promoted - we can hook up on Skype or Facetime and work something out.

MothMan - yes, I had seen your email and replied at length. In a way the situation you face is one that Luke (see above) handled very carefully at Blithfield, for there they have a number of Merlins (such as the lovely Black Adder) that are right on the edge of classic status. Blithfield (and Bosham the following weekend) took care to steer a middle course between handicapping the newer boats out of existence and making a 'level a playing field' for all boats as possible.

Personally, my one bit of advice would be to publish the PYs in advance: turning up and then finding that someone has taken an arbitrary judgement that affects your sailing can be divisive. Better post them and live with the consequences than have a more contentious situation develop at what should be a great event. There are enough people on here who can help fill in the numbers - can I suggest that Jim C and Andy P are both great sources of info.

What you want to avoid is the situation that is fast developing in the Merlin fleet, where people are just starting to vote with their feet and head off to other boats, classes and activities. Their reasons behind this are complex BUT at the heart of things is what is fast becoming 'abuse' of the classic PY system.

You can email me or PM a telephone number and we'll speak directly.......from where I sit, you have half of a great story but you will have to 'get it right' to complete the job!

d
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

We sorted a cvrda PY for the various Moth designs last year (actually at Blithfield!) when Ian & I sat down and went through them all. Until I've collected more data we'll use those figures but I don't have them to hand right now (at work)
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)