Int. 14 on ebay

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
phil58490

Int. 14 on ebay

Post by phil58490 »

Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
azimuth

Re: Int. 14 on ebay

Post by azimuth »

That looks stunning! Wonder what's wrong with it, appears to be in good nick?
Keith.

Finn K60 'Sfinnx' Fairey
Zenith 74 'Azimuth' (rescued from the undergrowth 20yrs ago)
Zenith 61 'Bali Hai'... A family heirloom...
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

The seller says:

The boats number is K772, and goes by the name Suki. Most of the boat is in good condition, and has sails, mast, boom, rudder etc.
The damage relates solely to the outer layer of its 3 layers of mahogany. This is warping off the layer underneath, and is a little more of a project then i hoped for with my schedule!
Its a beautiful little boat and is 'buy it as you see it'.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
chris

Post by chris »

According to Vaughan's book that makes 772 built in 1961, designed by Ian Proctor, built by W.A. Souter.
I guessing it's cold moulded then.
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

Although sold last year (I think) this boat is still on the Bosham SC website For Sale pages...

I quote from the original advertisement and apologise for infringing any intellectual property rights but wouldn't know who to ask:

"Built in 1961 by Souters, designed by Proctor. Beautiful boat from a classic period of dinghy racing. The boat is cold moulded with mahogany veneers. The boat was restored four years ago and last sailed 2 seasons ago. Everything is there, including serviceable main, jib and huge spinnaker. The boat needs to be varnished and there are some veneers that need attention. Nothing too difficult. “Suki”, No. 772 is amazing to sail. Fast and excting. Easily gets up on the planes and then flies along. She comes with a launching trolley. Reluctantly has to go due to expanding family."

I have no connection etc., only interest but since I have set myself a rule that I will only indulge in boats I can sail single handed I guess I should stop now!
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

The damage relates solely to the outer layer of its 3 layers of mahogany. This is warping off the layer underneath
I have wondered if this kind of problem could be fixed by soaking the whole area with an 'impregnating Epoxy' like Eposeal SP300 and then just applying a vacuum to pull the epoxy down into the edges and between the veneers and flattening everything out. Most probably wouldn't work as well as removing the veneers and re-gluing, but would possibly fix with very little damage to the wood.

You can get this problem a lot with the bigger Fairey boats, where after 35 years of so, you get a breakdown of the glue holding the veneers and you can notice little cracks appearing between the veneers. But not to the extent of the veneers lifting much, it all remains pretty flat. How much this is a real issue...is open to some conjecture. Left untreated, there seems to be no or very little damage to the hull, however I do worry that it all adds to a general softness and loss of stiffness in the hull. So not worthwhile removing the veneers to fix, hence the idea of trying to pull in something sticky into the edges of the veneers, to at least stop the cracking.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it