Solo3404

General chat about boats
Nessa

Solo3404

Post by Nessa »

Arrived today, now to get it (and me) ready for Roadford. Any tips for classic solos? This one has no mod cons such as traveller etc. Pics coming soon.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Re: Solo3404

Post by roger »

Put the sail up and point it in the right direction. :)
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I have sent you some pictures and a few words in explanation of my old boat to your hotmail address.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
JimC

Post by JimC »

In theory the tips should be the same as for any modern Solo. In practice I believe you may find problems achieving recommended mast rake and the like because some of the subtle dimensions like mast gate position vary a bit.
jpa_wfsc

Post by jpa_wfsc »

A fully battened main without a traveller will be very hard to set correctly - I'd realy have a go at getting / fitting one! You need to be able to controll sail twist and do this while also controlling how far out you are sheeted (going upwind).

Modern rigs manage this using very stifff and easy to control kicking straps - not so easy on a soft, older boat.

Good luck!

j./
j./

National 12 "Spider" 2523
Finn K468 'Captain Scarlet'

British Moth, 630, early 60's 'Pisces'

!!!! Not CVRDA !!!!
Comet Trio - something always ready to sail.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

No time to even take the cover off today as I got drafted into extra safety boat duty. All I did was dive around getting face fuels of water... Oh and see just how fast solos can go some times!

But I'm quite looking forward to having a good look tomorrow. The bag of bits I got given today made some sense, but the blocks weren't the best. Not that that is a problem. Her indoors claims I could open my own chandlery.

Phil no chance to measure today for reasons give above, should be able to do it tomorrow.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have had a look, the main issue is that the control lines, or at least two, are led back to clam cleats positioned quite a long way forward on the centreboard case, making them hard to adjust whilst sailing. I want to copy Phil's set up of having them led to mounts on the side tank/deck, but that involves fastening on a wedge shaped piece of wood long enough to take three cam cleats in a row. I have no idea how to cut such a piece of wood. Help!
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I think I have a suitable piece of wood in the garage that will match, when I get a moment over the weekend I'll run it through the band saw and see what I come up with. I can gauge the angle as I still have the offcut laying around from the last one I made.

Note to self - tidy the garage.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold