quiz time

Please use this area for off topic conversations and banter
chris

quiz time

Post by chris »

We haven’t had a quiz for a long time so here is a very mini quiz. The first correct answer of each question will win you a pint at the nationals (only redeemable at Clywedog!) :-

I have been given a set of sails for the Int 14 I am currently restoring. They are not the original sails for my boat but come from a different boat.
Q1)
Look at the photo of these sails and say where you might see them featured elsewhere.
Q2)
They won an inaugural trophy back in their prime. Which event did this trophy commemorate?
Q3)
Take 100 off the sail number and find the reason that links 14 K575 and 14 K675.
Q4)
for a bonus pint: how did the boat these sails originally came from get it’s name?
Have fun!...CHEERS!
Chris Barlow
14I.jpg
(29.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Rupert

Re: quiz time

Post by Rupert »

Blimey... I14s not my strong point, and I can get as far as working out which boat, who designed (a link to 575, but surely too obvious), who owned her and the like, but I think the questions need an expert!
Rupert
roger

Post by roger »

Did you dream all that up whilst cruising the Med and making Lois do all the work? :lol:
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
chris

Post by chris »

Roger, you should know the answer to Q 2!
alan williams

Post by alan williams »

I know the answers as I picked up the sails but I'm not taking part as it's insider info.
Cheers Al
chris

Post by chris »

I thought you might remember Al, But did you find out what inaugural trophy the boat won?
Hint for anyone else: look on your bookshelves.
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Got me stumped too......although I am still looking.

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

OK some more clues:
One well documented person is involved.675's name followed his 'theme' for the names of the boats he built but in an amusing way. See p108.
and Q2 Manchester had to go thirsty for a bit longer.

Down to half a pint now!
rme_01

Post by rme_01 »

You seem to be talking about Robin Steavenson and based on a rather bleary picture on Amazon I think the the answer to question 1 is the cover of Marks to Starboard. I haven't a clue on 2 (your clue about Manchester going thirsty made me think of Boddingtons!). 3 again a complete blank - per Tom Vaughans book a Fairey boat but no name or other details. Q4 his theme was witchcraft as in sorcery etc. Presumably he was following that theme or maybe like me in my racing days when he found himself at the front he had no idea where the next mark was!

Is that worth a half of shandy?
phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

rme_01 wrote: Q4 his theme was witchcraft as in sorcery etc. Presumably he was following that theme or maybe like me in my racing days when he found himself at the front he had no idea where the next mark was!

Is that worth a half of shandy?
I think you are onto something, 675 was called 'Witchway', (Google told me!)
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

Presumably Witchway won the Lord Birkett Trophy on Ullswater as Lord Birkett saved Ullswater at the expense of Manchester's water?
chris

Post by chris »

Correct for Q2. Steavenson in I 675 won the first Lord Birkett trophy. Lord B saved Ullswater from becoming a barren reservoir for Manchester.
rme o1, Q4, nearly but not quite. In his book Marks to Starboard he writes about building his second 14 but at several occasions he could decide 'which way' to do something so the name stuck as 'Witchway'
Q3: 575 appears in the photo on the front cover of Marks to Starboard, he took the photo and wrote the book but (Q1) 675 appears on the front cover of 'The techniques of Small Boat Racing' published in 1960, He didn't write this book but gets the acknowledgement for the the frontispiece. So Robin Steavenson is main link.
Attachments
book.jpg
(30.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
stuw

Post by stuw »

Which way to go, ribs or no ribs. As this was one of the first cold moulded boats Robin could. Not decide if the hull would be strong enough or not. I think?
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

No, that was his first 14 "Sorcerer" which was indeed cold moulded with ribs as well. "Witchway" was a Fairy Marine hull.
chris

Post by chris »

Yes that's right. In When Dinghies Delight he describes building Sorcerer from scratch. It was ribbed but glued, not clenched nails. He does make the comment, though, it was outdated before it was finished, some three years in the building. That was no 551 I think.
Witchway (675) was indeed built using a Fairey hull and is described in Marks to Starboard. Every CVRDAite should have copies of these classics on their bookshelves!!!

I think he also makes the comment in both books that the bare hull is as wobbly as a 'sloppy jellyfish'. When I started restoring mine it was certainly even worse. The idea of fully decking the early merlins was a very successful method of stiffening a light hull.