Wooden 505 on Apolloduck

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Max McCarthy

Wooden 505 on Apolloduck

Post by Max McCarthy »

Not mine, or one I am able to get, but I am pretty sure she may be of some interest here...

http://sailingdinghies.apolloduck.co.uk ... aid=365395

Cheers,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337
Hotspur

Re: Wooden 505 on Apolloduck

Post by Hotspur »

Wow, what a time capsule. Lovely
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Very beautiful indeed!

If only I had a hanger to store boats in.....and lots of money!

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
davidh

Post by davidh »

Ed............ Slowly but surely, the 505s are waking up to the idea of a classic scene. Word has it (though this has yet to be confirmed) that there will be a classic event running parallel with the 505 Worlds at Weymouth in 2016. Although I'm only at the early stages of research, I've started a FB page for the 505 Book project and this has already highlighted a couple of old boats that are out there that may well reappear on the water

I do not know about the boat on Apollo Duck - I would say that it is right at the top end of the price spectrum for such a boat. Most of the boats like this that come up on the market vanish across the channel to France, where there is a big classic scene already for the five-os.

the problem is clear - the old 505s are as outclassed (in several, clearly defined strata, just like the merlins. Will the 505 develop an active classic scene in the UK - I would hope so, as there must be hundreds of boats in garages.... just waiting for the time to be right for them to reappear!

You know you want one really.........

D
David H
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Absolutely, a very beautiful boat....

But having run out of space, and this "time capsule" being very much out of my budget, all I can say is that I hope she stays in the UK, and we will see her at the 2016 worlds.

David - I too have heard that the 505 class is opening up to the idea, of a classic contingent of their fleet (although I may have heard it from you a few months ago!); after all who (if you are new to the class, at least) would pay around £18,000 for a brand new 505 (unless you are very wealthy, or have great deal of sponsorship, sadly something I lack both of!). Despite being one who would love a 505; new or old (albeit lacking the weight to crew 'decently'!), I do sometimes, from my very outside view of the 505's, worry about their lack of what it would seem is a resilient future (simply due to the cost of a new 505, nothing to do with the boat at all), so it is great to see them trying to get a good idea of how to combat this.

I do remember seeing something about a classic 505 section within the class, although I forget exactly where (I do, however, think it was on Y&Y somewhere).

But it is very good to hear, even if there might not yet be fruition of it, that there may be a classic 505 fleet at the 2016 worlds!

Cheers,

Max

PS - David, I have now liked your FB page for the 505 book, some real gems on there - I especially like the drawing of K314. Now there are two books to look forward to the publishing of!
Last edited by Max McCarthy on Fri May 30, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

davidh wrote:You know you want one really.........

D
Don't know if this was an open ended suggestion, but I can say the 505 is a boat I have always admired, and one I hope to sail one day; I just need to eat a few more pies, if I was to crew (but I am slowly getting there!) - besides, I still haven't persuaded my dad to give the trapeze a go.

And lets face it, the difficulty of getting someone to crew for you at the moment, seems ever present, possibly out of fear of breaking a very nice bit of kit, or just lack of confidence....
AC 298 TimeWarp
National 12 3337