GP14 and IC Rig

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
MartinH

GP14 and IC Rig

Post by MartinH »

I was talking with an old friend today and discovered he has an old all wood GP14 for sale. He thinks the sail number is in the 15 hundreds and she was built in the 60s. Hull and decks are sound, alloy mast, reasonable sails.

He also has a mast and sails from an early IC that are looking for a good home.

All are in Southampton. Contact me if interested and I will try to get some pictures.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Michael Brigg

Re: GP14 and IC Rig

Post by Michael Brigg »

I'd like to know more about the IC rig. I have K102 and the sails suffered badly from mildew after a 30yr sleep in a garage with (unfortunately) a leaky roof.

If life is kind to me I may be ready to use the sails in the Autumn.
Michael Brigg
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Michael, you can take first dibs on the IC rig and sails.....

but I would certainly like to know more if you are not interested as I know that Conquest is still looking for rig/sails that are more appropriate to her age...

cheers

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Ed wrote:Michael, you can take first dibs on the IC rig and sails.....

but I would certainly like to know more if you are not interested as I know that Conquest is still looking for rig/sails that are more appropriate to her age...

cheers

eib
Ed that is very kind of you. If the rig is unsuitable or too old for mine, I can certainly report back to you and maybe bring the rig to you as I am not far from Southampton.

Martin, I would very much like to view the IC rig and if it is suitable I can certainly offer it a good home.

I have IC K102,"Torment," made in the early 1970's I think and exhibited in its day as a show boat.

Torment was something of a time capsule "Barn find" coming to the attention of the CVRDA about 5 years ago when the previous owners daughter contacted the Canoe assotiation who in turn passed the information on to Ed.

There was some brief interest in Torment but no biters, and the thread sort of faded away until I missed out on another canoe, "Dicey" K101, with perhaps a more interesting number, but a lack of resolve on my ebay bid meant that that one went to Liverpool where a full restoration job was done.

I looked back through the CVRDA postings and ultimately located Torment's "executer" on a small island in Tahiti from where she had breifly returned to the UK for some family business.

Stiffening my resolve by making "T0rment" a login at work the constnt reminders worked well,
and I discovered one day that "some big boys had put her in my garage and run away!! :wink: :wink:

Torment had been put away for the winter in about 1974, and sadly her owner became ill and died soon after. His widow could not be parted from the boat and so the boat remained in the garage until 2009, when his son discovered her, intact, while packing up the house as his mother was being moved to a care home.

It is a tale as romantic as that of Greyfriars Bobbie, and I suspect there are not many of us that can boast spouses of similar disposition!

The varnish was in perfect condition, but so old and brittle that it can be scratched off with fingernails.

The sails have faired less well. I have two masts and boom sets, as the owners son also gave me the remains of his own canoe, K111. Another interesting number that I have thought about asking the assotiation for in order to "resurect" the hull (as I have all the other bits. The fiberglass hull having been committed to a fiery fate some years ago.)

So I have an "over-rotating mast" (with no spreaders) belonging to Torment, and a standard fixed mast with speaders. Both are increadibly heavy Proctor "C" sections, with gold anodising.

The sails from both bots were sadly stored where there was a drip, and arrived with extensive black mildew and rust marks. I have to say that Oxalic acid solution (from Stain devils) has been excellent, but the mildey has been resistant even to a prolonged soak in Dishwasher soap (which is about as caustically bleachy Ias anything I know, and after all one hypochlorite molecule is about as strong as any other when it comes to bleach.

[img]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd31 ... .jpg[/img]

My only other thought is to try some stuff I obtained from a camping shop to use on Canvas tents. It uses KMnO4 (Potasium Permanganate) as it's Oxidising agent, so I am a little cautious as I wouldn't want to emulate Dougal in the Pink sails department! :lol:

So... now you know why I am interested!
Michael Brigg
JimC

Post by JimC »

How early an IC rig? I'm on the look out for a mast for a newer boat than Torment...
MartinH

Post by MartinH »

JimC - I think he said the boat was in the 90s. Unfortunately the hull has long since gone. :(

Michael - I have PMed you with contact details.
Martin
Grad 2146 FOR SALE
Max McCarthy

Post by Max McCarthy »

Sorry chaps, but may I through a spanner in the works, and put forward my interest? On the off chance that it doesn't go to someone else, I am certainly interested....

But, it looks as though a small queue has formed(!)...

Martin: do you know what material the mast is made from?

I mean, my interest is simply that is it always useful to have a spare, but if Michael, Ed or Jim want it, then it is their call before mine.

Many thanks,

Max
AC 298 TimeWarp
Cherub 2627 - Sgt Murphy (nee Last Amber Dragon)
Farr 3.7 (slowly progressing build)
National 12 3337