My new Moff

share hints, tips and experiences
simonf

My new Moff

Post by simonf »

Hi
Have recently taken ownership of a Skol Mk 3 for my son (14) previously owned by Angus of Auchterarder. We're hoping to get going fairly quickly at Kielder Water, but there are a couple of things that I need help on:

1. Transom - is there some timber behind the rudder fittings that I can bolt through?

2. The mast pin - again it looks to me as though the timber on the foredeck 'pad' could be rotten - any recommendations on fixing this?

3. Are there any other areas on the deck where I can attach cleats etc.?

4. Where would I find the sail/hull number? I understood they were under gunwhale somewhere but we're missing the last 6" or so on both sides so any clues appreciated - I need to know what sail number to tell the club for a start!

5. Angus tells me I need a prodder - can someone explain how this works and how I might fabricate one?

With best regards
simonf

phil58490

Re: My new Moff

Post by phil58490 »

I can't answer 1, 2 or 3 but;

4, The hull number can sometimes be found on the port side, outside of the hull near the transom, covered in numerous coats of paint, that is were it should be so good luck!

5, Prodders have been discussed before have a look at this posting

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3848&hilit=+prodder&start=0
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
JimC

Post by JimC »

simonf wrote: 1. Transom - is there some timber behind the rudder fittings that I can bolt through?

2. The mast pin - again it looks to me as though the timber on the foredeck 'pad' could be rotten - any recommendations on fixing this?

3. Are there any other areas on the deck where I can attach cleats etc.?
They're not over built... You do need to be a bit wary. I replaced the whole mast support with a new pad glued on with epoxy dyed orange. In a few weeks I could give you some photos of one from the inside, but its 50 miles away from me at the moment.
simonf

Post by simonf »

"...not over built.." - you're not wrong! ;)

Mast pad rotten - still wet, although have got most of it out and am hoping to epoxy in a new pad this w/e...

Still mystified about the sail/hull number - any ideas where the number might be and how big - not really sure what I'm looking for!!

sf
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Pleased to see another classic moth being used, hope you can get to some of the CVRDA events his year.

To help find the sail number, these are the class rules:

"The sail number and national letter(s) of the boat shall be cut into or indelibly marked on the hull, aft on the port side in figures not less than 30mm high. These shall not be removed during the lifetime of the boat"

Usually that would be on the outside side panel, a few inches in from the transom and an inch or so below deck level. If it was cut or drilled in its easier to find under layers of paint.

Lyndon
JimC

Post by JimC »

What's behind Skol transom...

Hope this has worked, Flickr not altogether cooperating witg mobile phone.