Scoring a HIT at Clywedog

General chat about boats
davidh

Re: Scoring a HIT at Clywedog

Post by davidh »

I'm sorry to disappoint those who were looking forwards to a sail in the HIT but it isn't going to happen. Clearly buying something doesn't always mean that you've bought it (despite being told that you had bought it) and 'gazumping' can take place in the world of dinghies too.

So - no HIT for Henshall.............I'd already come across the Solent too and was at Southampton loading up the car when word reached me.

Not a happy camper.....

D
David H
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

What appalling behaviour!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

So, I'll be the the only Hit in the village. Shame as we could have had the Hit nationals in Clywedog.

Peter - you can always have a go in mine ;)
IC: K26
Harrier +: 2

Zenith's rebuild - www.pegasus18.com/zenith
davidh

Post by davidh »

Well done for getting number 5 Neil.

Overall, it looked a good deal, on a combi and with a cover (neither of these on 22) and we could have found ourselves bidding against each other - but I was already close to the deal so did the honourable thing.

Enjoy the boat and I look forward to hearing the feedback!

D
David H
chris

Post by chris »

If I remember correctly a Hit came to the first Bough Beech event. Was it one of the afore-mentioned?
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

I was tempted the first time I saw these on the bay, but I have far too many boats as it is. I too will be interested in 'having a go' if I'm allowed.
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

22 has been on eBay for a while with/without trolley
20 was sold on eBay a few months ago.
5 was only briefly described, but the pics show it to be in good condition and complete. Have been communicating with the owner, he's had it since new and the boat is original and has been looked after. The combi and cover made it attractive. thought there would have been more interest in 5, so very happy to have got it. Will know more on Friday when I collect.

Looking at old CVRDA posts it looks like 7 and 17 are still around.

Looks like I've tracked down the original sail patten as well.

David - did you ever get the original brochure, if so is there a chance of a copy?

neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

OK, moved this to Boat Chat as this may be of interest

Picked up Hit 5 today, think I got the best Hit there is. The boat is completely original (down the Tupperware Harvest Orange box that goes in the rear tank) and has been in the same ownership since new. Came with a full history, including marketing material and editions of Dinghy International where the Hit features in two articles - Sept/Oct 77 when the prototype is detailed and Sept 78 when the first production boat came out. All the purchase correspondence is there and there's even a measurement certificate. PY in Nov 1978 was 113.

David - if you want copies of anything I'll scan it in for you.

phil58490

Post by phil58490 »

I was tempted when I saw number 5 on the bay but I had too many boats, a couple of weeks later and two boats sold I wish I had put in a bid. Looks like you bought a nice boat.

You will have to gives us your opinion of how she goes and I will then have some idea if I really want one when another comes up.
Just across the Tamar in South East Cornwall

Solo 4928
Solo 3406
Hit 5 Sold
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

I'll be taking the Hit to Clywedog so will be available for people to try. The claims in the articles are interesting, I imagine Peter V will walk over me again ;)

PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I thought it was much faster than a Finn? But isn't that handicap slower than a YW Dayboat?

Really looking forward to seeing it, was this the one in Lichfield that I was tempted by?
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
neil
Site Admin

Post by neil »

1978 PY for the Finn was 110 and the Laser was 114. YWDB was 129. So the CVRDA handicap would be about 95, though I'd be happy with 113.

The claim about it being faster than Finn was pure marketing hype ;)

And yes, drove back from Lichfield today

davidh

Post by davidh »

Neil,

I have the original sales brochure - if you've not got it then I'll email it over!

Pretty sure original PY was 95, think when I've seen more recent PY details it was 1064.

Will check.

If you look at the underwater hull shape, it is a dead ringer for the M14 concept.

D
David H
davidh

Post by davidh »

Oh no oh no oh no.....

Sometimes things just do not work out in the way you want them too. First of all I was smarting from the loss of the HIT, knowing that one has to be philosophical about these things - when with little in the way of warning, the back as let go again, bit time. Even if I can make it to the event I'll not be sailing - I am beginning to have serious doubts about the longer term future! I have no doubt that I'll be sailing, but can I trapeze again?

Am really not happy - with breeze forecast I was thinking that things would have worked out one way or another.... but now, well, I have to wait for my meeting with the consultant.

D
David H
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Sorry to hear that, David - bad backs are horrible things. Mine survived a windy race today, so hopefully will be OK for the weekend.

113 comes out to about 94.2 in the old system and 1068 in the new, so 95 would seem pretty fair - Applecore speed, roughly? There are several boats regularly out in that sort of bracket, so should have plenty of company on the water, which is what matters.
Rupert