It's true

General chat about boats
Nessa

It's true

Post by Nessa »

I really am down to six boats. It feels very strange and I keep feeling myself drawn back to eBay. The contender may also go, depending on the verdict on my wrist, and that would definitely require some purchasing as therapy...
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Re: It's true

Post by Rupert »

Fewer than me, now - that can't be right...
Rupert
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

If the session next week with the back trauma consultant does not go well then I can see there being two contenders changing hands.

It is now almost certain that my problems stem from wearing weight jackets at the start of the 1980s, talk about the past coming back to haunt one. At this point, it is not looking good!

All the best with the wrist!

D
David H
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I also blame weight jackets for some of my issues. My back and neck clunk and creak horribly. Treatment can't be far away. Thank goodness the hideous things were banned.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
davidh

Post by davidh »

Nessa,

As the writing of the Merlin Rocket book starts to wind down, the writing on the 505 books is ramping up (and 'hot' news - have found one of those literary 'smoking guns' that will certainly change previous conceptions a tad).

At this stage it is still mainly research - blocking out chapters to get a feel for how the book will come together. But I came across a load of papers referring to the wearing of weight jackets and the idea that you had a modified trapeze harness, with a second attachment point between the base of the neck and the breast bone, once you had hooked on as per normal, you then hooked on the second link that helped take the weight of the jacket.

I looked at that and thought what charmer came up with that idea - for a start, one wire connecting you to the boat is not always a good thing, two - don't want to think about that. And the crazy part is that if you look at how the loads affect the body - you still get the compression loading on the base of the spine. The Aussies managed without them, it was the US that wanted to retain them.

More on the story in the book!

D
David H
Pat

Post by Pat »

Nessa wrote:I really am down to six boats.
I wish we were. Or maybe a couple more as there's too many I want to keep since they are all so different - how do you decide between three very different Merlins, narrow, medium and wide? Each has its place.
You both make me very glad we missed the weight jacket era. Good luck with the injuries.
(Half Cut and What a Lark Removals Ltd)
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I am sorely tempted by Keto.....

The weight jacket era was very bad physically, but conversely I was in my sailing prime, travelled to many different venues all over Europe, sailed with and against some extremely good sailors.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
PeterV

Post by PeterV »

I weighed my home made weight jacket once, it was over 80lbs.

I now have spinal stenosis and at the start of each season wonder if I will still be able to sail. While I can I will!
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
roger

Post by roger »

Keto has had some interest but is still here and ideal for Hunts Nessa as you know, Nikki would love sailing her as well. Try before you buy? Long term loan?
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

I have actually been thinking about just that Roger, especially since Agamemnon using yet ready and Banbury us coming up. But Nikky doesn't like sailing with me....
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
roger

Post by roger »

rig her a flyaway spinnaker pole to hit you with when you upset her :D

The options are there Nessa, come down for Baltic Wharf as well.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353