UnSkol gets a newbottom...

share hints, tips and experiences
JimC

UnSkol gets a newbottom...

Post by JimC »

Finally managing to make a start on replacing the wooden bottom that my no-longer-a-Skol-3 ad acquired to some stage in her life, and which was suffering from rot. I'm just beginning to get nervous about the number of reluctant epoxy sticky components that will need to be assembled at the same time when the time comes...

I'm also not quite sure what's going to happen when my distinctly non hollow waterline stringers inteact with the boats original hollow waterline. I hope that with a bit of juggling I can avoid to much of a bulbous bow!
Last edited by JimC on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimC

Re: UnSkol gets a newbottom...

Post by JimC »

Sorry about the huge photo will try and sort later. Also note that the frames are absolutely non-canonical. Only the stringers give you much clue to the intended shape. The frames will be trimmed and ct out when I am quite happy with the location of everything.
Last edited by JimC on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Quite a task Jim. Are you trying to re-create the original Skol shape, the previous lower hull shape or just something that works?

This blog on a Shelley build might help with ideas on the framing

http://johnshellymothboat.blogspot.co.uk/
JimC

Post by JimC »

Something that works... I have insufficient data to reproduce the original, and saw no virtue in preserving the modified shape. I've given her about 20mm more rocker than the replacement, which is still way less than a Europe, and I'm giving here an almost flat floor from stern to back of daggercase which is something I was looking at in my (unbuilt) Cherub designs in the mid 70s.
From there its just a question of trying to fair in with the existing topsides, which is going to leave me with no chine which I don't altogether like, but any chine would be so shallow an angle as to do very little, so I'll save a join. It will be interesting to see if I can eliminate a centreline join which I really want to do. Also going to attempt to minimise the hollow waterlines near the bow.

Construction details are being heavily inspired by Farr, esp Farr 3.7.
JimC

Post by JimC »

https://www.flickr.com/gp/56735928@N05/6995Td

Flickr album of photos. Getting near the first difficult bit, fairing all the stringers and ensuring symmetry.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Progress. Now got to fair the stringers and get all the angles right, maybe even make templates to look for asymmetry and try and remove it.
Then the skin. Now I think of it I've done any number of boat interiors but this is the first time I've done a shell.

Yesterday I was cursing having varnished all components before assembly because its such a pain cleaning glue surfaces. Today looking at just how inaccessible the inside of the hull is and blessing it. Ply will have to be epoxy all over and damn the expense. Be a very sticky day, maybe I"d better buy some disposable overalls.

note daggerboard case is still sticking up above the level of the hog. Its a foam sandwich daggerboard case (left over from my PlusPlus!). I was just thinking, should I have the daggercase going right through the outer skin? That way the endgrain of the ply will be protected. OK I'll have to chop the foam out and replace it with filler for the last few mm of the case, but hardly a big deal.
alan watson

Post by alan watson »

It (or she) looks beautiful.
ALAN
JimC

Post by JimC »

Thanks. I've now got a few weeks break before I can progress unfortunately because the boat is down at my parent's house, and I can't get back there for a while.
bornagainmothie

Post by bornagainmothie »

Something that works... I have insufficient data to reproduce the original
Actually, I may be able to help you with that. I am now looking after the Mk2? Skol that Nessa saved, hoping someone at our club will take it on as a project. You could just saw along the dotted line........
Or if you prefer I could take measurements :wink:
Attachments
Skol hull
Skol hull
JimC

Post by JimC »

bornagainmothie wrote:Actually, I may be able to help you with that. I am now looking after the Mk2? Skol that Nessa saved, hoping someone at our club will take it on as a project.
Bit late for that now [grin] But the 3 is something of a different beast. Curiously from what I can work out there doesn't seem to have been a mk 1 and mk 2 per se, just that the original Skol shape came in two very different build specifications, but at the same time as alternatives.
JimC

Post by JimC »

Trying out options to put a skin on. Had to abandon my original plan for the skin because the boat is very 3d curved now... Going to be 2 layers of 3mm ply aft and 3 layers of 2mm forward, but the transition is looking decidedly tricky. Sure I had something in mind but can't remember what.
Attachments
15084066729_d22a70eded.jpg
JimC

Post by JimC »

Just been trying one of the more highly curved sections of skin in place, and watched a stringer deflect at least half an inch under the load.... Time for another frame I fear...
davidh

Post by davidh »

Jim,

am following this one with interest. Chris Barlow and I were discussing early MR rules -way back in the beginning, but in addition to clinker the rule allowed for a single piece of ply per side; Now given the hull shapes back then, I think that would really qualify as 'tortured ply'!

Please keep the pictures coming!

D
David H
JimC

Post by JimC »

davidh wrote:Please keep the pictures coming!
Not sure when I'll get down to work again as partner has left me dog sitting for two weeks. I think next stage is to hire a wallpaper steamer and steam all the ply, then staple it roughly in place and leave for two more weeks to dry out.

Here's the extra frame I needed to put in.
15093721850_3bdab3ae9a_z.jpg
More photos on Flickr
JimC

Post by JimC »

Just sitting down with a cup of coffee with two layers of ply steamed and stapled down. Hopefully they'll stay stapled down over next two weeks or so while it all dries. Loads of lessons and don't do it how I did it to report, but maybenot for a day or two...