Hanging boats up

share hints, tips and experiences
Michael4

Hanging boats up

Post by Michael4 »

On the assumption that many of you have more boats than garage space for them I wonder what clever ideas have been developed for hanging wooden boats from the rafters of a garage?

I've got about 7'6" from floor to rafters, rafters that are 4 x 2 and an attic space above.

Before now I've used a chain hoist and lifted ply boats using the centre thwart (for short periods of time). I want to lift up a trad clinker 12 footer which somewhat heavier and store it.

Would you support the boat with two slings or do they need more? Has anyone done anything clever with trailer winches etc? Have you made a supporting frame?

I don't mind putting a bit of effort into developing or making something that will make this job reasonably easy. Any ideas?
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.
PeterV

Re: Hanging boats up

Post by PeterV »

I made a frame with castors so I could stow an Enterprise on its side, and I've also stowed 2 Finns, one over the top of the other. I raised the top one with a rope sling underneath and a purchase each side. Another rope under the bow was used to hold that end up but didn't need the purchases.
PeterV
Finn K197 & GBR564
Warsash
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

a trad clinker is likely to be on the heavy side so my inclination would be to hoist and then put in a frame built from scaffold tube so that some or all can be supported. make it wide enough so that another boat or boats can be slid in beneath
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Boats used to be stored all winter at Tamesis (probably still are) on webbing slings pulled up to the roof. Done similar here with the Minisail in the past, but my ceiling is so low other boats are really too deep to work well. Provided the straps are well padded and the fixings strong I can't see why they shouldn't be supported that way for the winter.
Rupert
Ed
Site Admin

Post by Ed »

Agreed, slings will be fine as long as everything is strong enough to carry the weight.

eib
Ed Bremner
CVRDA

Jollyboat J3
Firefly F2942
IC GBR314 ex S51 - 1970 Slurp
MR 638 - Please come and take it away
Phelps Scull
Bathurst Whiff - looking for someone to love it
chris

Post by chris »

I usually have a merlin dangling over the winter. In a wooden shed I have scaffolding bars to hang it on or in the workshop the joist are 9x3" - plenty strong enough to bolt into but I think I would reinforce 4x2s though.

I have a few slings from car seat belt material and use four of the heavy duty cam/buckle ( not ratchet) straps to hoist with. I like this as a system because each one in effect gives a 2:1 purchase and they automatically lock in place each time you let go. you go round each corner in turn and raise that corner by about a six inches at a time. Its not too difficult to hoist to the ceiling on your own though two is easier. When its up I add more straps under it too.

I also use this when working on a boat as you can even roll it over singlehanded. The only thing to watch is that the strap near the bow can't slide forward so strap the bow and stern slings together somehow.
jules22

Post by jules22 »

I have the mirror hung up for the winter, 4x2 at each end (crossways) with a rope on each end , with galv staple plates screwed to the joists with big screws (all from screwfix). Had thought about cam buckle straps as above, good to know that they work well , will get some now to make getting it down easier. Cheers. :D
Ian Malcolm

Post by Ian Malcolm »

What you can get away with to suspend a boat for maintenance in benign summer weather often isn't advisable for long term winter storage.

You *MUST* be certain the joists or rafters are strong enough to carry the extra load considering the loading on the floor above or design snow and wind loads on a roof. If in doubt, add extra beams just to carry the weight of the boat that are braced laterally to the joists or rafters to keep them in place. It MAY be sufficient to add cross-members between two adjacent joists or rafters and support the boat from the middle of each so each part of the original structure only gets half the load. If you come up with a clever single line hoisting system, its essential to avoid side-loading the joists or rafters as they are not designed to take it.

Also be certain your boat can drain freely in it's hoisted position, or store it upside-down. Your roof is probably leak free at the moment but if you get a small leak and the boat fills with water, it is likely to collapse your roof.

Getting this wrong is *NOT* an option as you could loose both shed/garage roof and boat in the next big storm.
Ian Malcolm. London, ENGLAND. (FORUM REPLY PREFERRED)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
roger

Post by roger »

Shoestring spent a year hanging up, the only issue I had was she got to hot up there in the summer and a couple of glued joints opened up.

She spent a good many of her years in storage and at one point was slung up in a barn for many years.

When we built the new shed/workshop I insisted on extra strong roof supports because I have a habit of slinging masts and various other bits of stuff from the roof.
Currently slung 6 masts, several booms various bits of wood that may come in useful, and a topper.
Hornet 191 Shoestring,
Hornet 595 Demon awaiting restoration
Hornet 610 Final Fling
Hornet 353
Michael4

Post by Michael4 »

In the end I got three boats into the garage by putting one, on it's trailer, up on car ramps. This means two can overlap nicely allowing space to work on the third.
Tideway 206
11+
Sold the 'Something bigger and plastic', it never got used.