Sprog

Post your items here & they may be copied over to the for sale section of the CVRDA site
Nessa

Sprog

Post by Nessa »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111503613824

Looks interesting. Does anyone have knowledge or experience of this?
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
cweed

Re: Sprog

Post by cweed »

Per 'Boat World Guide to Dinghies':

Designer H.H.McWilliams, (s. Africa), Beam 4'3'', 89 sq ft sail. One Design.

'..... strongest class at Babbacombe since 1956......'
Hotspur

Post by Hotspur »

My first thought was that it looked rather Snipe-ish. My second thought was that you'd need a crew and helmsman who got on rather well, given the size of that cockpit
Visit my blog Naval Air History at navalairhistory.com
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

As mentioned in previous comment a South African design. I remember we had a class event for them at Hampton SC regatta in late 50's. We had none at Hampton - think they may have come up from Twickenham SC.
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

AAARGH!!! :shock: A monster!

No not really, but I have speculated in previous discussion (with DH, naturally) that when tracing the ancestry of designs, you can produce a chart like Darwins origin of species, with all the evolutionary dead ends, (like the Paleontology Dinosaur posters we boys all had as kids)

OR more probable is a family tree along the lines of Greek Mythology, where mere mortals could consort with gods and produce both monsters and marvels. In ancient mythology we know that Incst and Bestiality were if anything positively encouraged!

So this boat, though it is something of a Chimaera is actually rather a nice looking creature.

It has the decks of a L***r, which has been married to the hull (and centreplate) of a Finn. It has the sails of its Cousin 470, and as a sting in the tail, the stern of a Hornet.

The stated Portsmouth number is given as 104, so it must be eithe very heavy or some king of a bandit as this suggests it should be slower than a Firefly even with an extra 2feet of waterline. The deck looks to be designed to carry a pole on both sides, but there are no spinaker fittings.

If you scroll along the pictures you come to this which tells you all about the design... (Read it quick as it'll disappear at the end of the auction.)

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTE5NVgxNjAw/ ... T/$_57.JPG

No bites yet so should be a bargain and I would certainly be interested but am overboated. Looks scruffy but nothing a bucket of soap and water wouldn't fix along this a bit of marine ply and a jig saw for the centreboard.. 1950's design so very CVRDA'ble, and for you Nessa, quite a stable boat to instruct people in. I think it looks like a very nice raceable and cruisable boat.

Heavens it has even got a sun deck. Who wants a cockpit?

Very popular in Sth Africa it seems. The sea off the cape and round the corners is pretty lumpy, so I would imagine it is a good seaworthy boat, certainly no shortage of bouyancy with 8 bulkheads. Sth African seas are very cold, so I would think its 8 bulkheads would sivive both a Great White or an Iceberg!

Definately a GFI from me.
Michael Brigg
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

It might be 2 feet longer than a Firefly, with the same sail area, but suspect it is twice the weight, which would explain the handicap. After all, the GP14 with small jib (still leaving about 20 sq feet more sail(?) ranks similar to the Firefly. And needs a good old blow to make the most of that.
Rupert
Bill-Conner

Post by Bill-Conner »

It is also the ancestor of the Scorpion which was reputedly the same line but with the very high freeboard cut down a modern centre plate and a much higher aspect rig.
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

Mine for £56. Now I just have to go and collect it.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Michael Brigg

Post by Michael Brigg »

Good for you Nessa! Looks like it will be fantastic VFM especially if the wooden bits are in good repair.

My guess is that it will become a favourite.
Michael Brigg
Nessa

Post by Nessa »

It's home now, and not as bad as it could be for £56, the sail area is 8.36sq m, length 4.26, old py 104. Anyone like to suggest a modern equivalent? The hull isn't that heavy, but the foils are quite basic.
The Peril
Agamemnon
Lovely little Cadet
OK 1954
Xena Warrior Princess
Finn 469
Laser 2
Wayfarer World
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Start on 1180 and see how it goes. Wouldn't be surprised if you end up more like 1200.
Rupert