thinner veneer...

share hints, tips and experiences
JimC

thinner veneer...

Post by JimC »

Any tips for taking a bit of veneer about 10 inches square from 1.5mm to 1mm?
Obscured by clouds

Re: thinner veneer...

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Belt sander clamped upside down in a vise [plenty of padding to avoid damaging the handle] . Switch off at the mains. switch on hold on the machine. use the mains switch for on/off [safer].

This should give a nice flat bed for the take down, always assuming the work piece is'nt so large to make it impractical
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I have images in my head of taking my fingers from 8cm to 7 during the process described above...

Any chance of fixing the veneer down to a thinker, larger piece of wood (contact glue, maybe?) and then running the sander over it?
Rupert
Obscured by clouds

Post by Obscured by clouds »

Rupert wrote:I have images in my head of taking my fingers from 8cm to 7 during the process described above...
I wear my chainsaw gauntlets
Tony

MR 2404 Julia Dream
N18 276 Sibrwd [ongoing project]
Hirondelle catamaran Kalipse
[down to 3!]
JimC

Post by JimC »

Rupert wrote:Any chance of fixing the veneer down to a thinker, larger piece of wood (contact glue, maybe?) and then running the sander over it?
I was thinking double sided tape. I tried running it through a thicknesser, but it was a bit brutal. I decided to glue it in place and take it down there. Only trouble will be accuracy of thickness.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

1/2 mil on a thicknesser is pretty accurate - overly so, I'd think, especially where the surface can be easily ripped up. Any access to one of those static belt sanders with the conveyor belt?
Rupert